Skip to main content

Speaking of housemates and Scientology ...

So does Ray set off your Scidar?
Not that WE get to see, but the HMs talk all the time about his Tom Cruise thing, and how annoying that Tom thing is but he's otherwise OK.

No. My impression of the TC thing is that it's about his chiselled man/boy looks and how his high energy persona masks some creepy, as yet unfathomed weirdness.

In the unlikely event Estelle is a $cieno, she'd be a member of the paying public and that Bridge To Total Freedom doesn't come cheap. Conservative estimates assess the whole process as costing about 400k. I'd be more suspicious of her Travolting tendencies if she were hitting on George.

If she was on staff, there's no way she'd be released to appear on something like BB.

It's likely citing $cientology is a way of sending up the notion of having a religion at all. I'd guess she's agnostic, atheist or both.

And yes, I really was a teenage $ceino, when I was about Bradley's age. I was even in the Sea Org.

SeaOrgMadWorld.jpg
This is not a promotional poster for Babylon 5.

so you were here nearly 10 yrs ago so before that you were uder the $pell so yr what 80 now?

thats about the same time my amish mum bought me a computer

I thought it was purely related to him being so OTT with his happiness thing... but I've been wrong once in my life.

I think.

So did I. It originally came about the first time he got served a special meal during the Yes task. He jumped up on the kitchen chair and cheered, just like Tom Cruise did on Oprah's couch when Oprah asked him about Katie Holmes. Ben and Stacey commented it was just like Tom Cruise did and then decided that was a good name for him..and it's stuck. What I saw when they came up with the name originally had nothing to do with being gay or being a scientologist. I doubt BB would have shown any attempted slur on either of those subjects.

Strange how everyone glossed over this little nugget :)

I saw it. I thought Meh. She also says she's from Coolvile. She says a lot of crap. She's says she's mysterious and interesting and hard to work out too. She's wrong on all of those counts as well. She's just a confused kid who hasn't matured to equal her age, who doesn't know who she is but desperately craves attention and acceptance and overcompensates. Nothing too hard to work out there. Ben has her worked out. He's manipulating the hell out of her. He knows very well that if she hooks up with Josh so soon after Ryan leaving the voting tweenies will hate her. So he tells her she's a mysterious muse and shoves her at Josh. Exactly the kind of things she'd love to hear about herself. Next step will be to get her nominated again and bingo..she'll be gone. Not altogether sure it will work on Josh though. I think he'll work Ben out.

What! What! What?

That has to be in jest. I'm pretty sure I've not heard her drop any $ceino jargon in the house. I was a teenage $cientologist so I would have expected the odd ping on the e-meter by now.

Maybe she's just a dabbler or is a huge admirer of the work of La Cruise.

I'll be paying very close attention to her words from now on.

Personally I am an atheist.

But I have a healthy respect for individual belief, if the God you follow is inspiring you to do basic good. Even if that basic good is skewed with a sprinkle of self righteousness, segregation, and a good splash of condemnation.

I would much rather learn from a personal experience than to google, and given my only real knowledge of Scientology comes from a New Idea, if you have the time or the inclination, could you explain to me in an easy to understand way the jist of it please?

No. My impression of the TC thing is that it's about his chiselled man/boy looks and how his high energy persona masks some creepy, as yet unfathomed weirdness.

In the unlikely event Estelle is a $cieno, she'd be a member of the paying public and that Bridge To Total Freedom doesn't come cheap. Conservative estimates assess the whole process as costing about 400k. I'd be more suspicious of her Travolting tendencies if she were hitting on George.

If she was on staff, there's no way she'd be released to appear on something like BB.

It's likely citing $cientology is a way of sending up the notion of having a religion at all. I'd guess she's agnostic, atheist or both.

And yes, I really was a teenage $ceino, when I was about Bradley's age. I was even in the Sea Org.

View attachment 28544
This is not a promotional poster for Babylon 5.

Is that a picture of Connor Cruise?..

How did you escape Super?

I'd been sent to Canberra on a mission to sort out their flagging Org (as each $ceino centre is known, short for organisation). I was by myself at the airport with no one to meet me and no money and the absurdity of the whole thing fell into relief. I decided the humiliation of begging my folks for a ticket home was better than carrying on with a crypto-fascist, quasi military operation.

are you suing for 'loss of self"?

At the time I thought myself lucky to escape litigation from them. I wasn't involved long enough for an existential crisis. It was more like a weird phenomenon I put down to experience.

so you were here nearly 10 yrs ago so before that you were uder the $pell so yr what 80 now?

It was the 80s, hon. I was 18 at the time.

I would much rather learn from a personal experience than to google, and given my only real knowledge of Scientology comes from a New Idea, if you have the time or the inclination, could you explain to me in an easy to understand way the jist of it please?

It's a Freudian rehash with a grab bag of Eastern philosophy bundled up into an aggressive siege mentality of us vs them. The core idea is that sense memories associated with past traumas, pain and bad experiences anchor in your subconsciousness as mental impediments (known as engrams). It's pop psychology turned into an absolute belief. There's a whole ideology of ethical dynamics and a hierarchy of emotional states to go with it. The idea is to "clear" your mind of the engrams and become a force of total will power, a sort of super being who never gets sick, has total recall of all memories and is miraculously successful in everything attempted. Like Tom Cruise in an action movie.

The counselling (or auditing, as it's called) entails a series of courses where the subject picks over memories, going back into past lives (the so called time track). A device known as an e-meter is used as a sort of diagnostic tool. The e-meter is actually an electro skin galvanometer, one of the main devices used in polygraph (lie detector) set ups, but $cientology makes a fetish of them. They help the auditor to home in on mental reactions to memories but they're also used as a security checker. Members of staff are generally tested on their loyalties with them.

Reaching the state of "Clear" is the goal of Dianetics, the so called "science of mental health". After that (a process that takes years and many $$) you'll be sold on the need to liberate your soul (or thetan) from psychic restrictions, to become an "Operating Thetan".

These psychic restrictions are revealed at the third OT level of processing as being the souls of countless people attached to your own like psychic parasites, or body thetans. This is where the Xenu story comes in, the space opera about an evil overlord who depopulates his confederacy by stacking the drugged bodies of billions of his subjects around volcanoes on Earth, blowing them up with hydrogen bombs. The souls are stripped of identity and reprogrammed with false data (including all world religions) and left to glom onto the early hominids as they evolve into homo sapiens.

There are potentially any number of expensive levels to the business of shucking your body thetans. There are at least 8 available now and 10 or so proposed above that. The goal is to become spiritually clear with, in Hubbard's words, "knowing and willing cause over life, thought, matter, energy, space and time", a super super being.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it. I thought Meh. She also says she's from Coolvile. She says a lot of crap. She's says she's mysterious and interesting and hard to work out too. She's wrong on all of those counts as well. She's just a confused kid who hasn't matured to equal her age, who doesn't know who she is but desperately craves attention and acceptance and overcompensates. Nothing too hard to work out there. Ben has her worked out. He's manipulating the hell out of her. He knows very well that if she hooks up with Josh so soon after Ryan leaving the voting tweenies will hate her. So he tells her she's a mysterious muse and shoves her at Josh. Exactly the kind of things she'd love to hear about herself. Next step will be to get her nominated again and bingo..she'll be gone. Not altogether sure it will work on Josh though. I think he'll work Ben out.

Agree so much. She tries to come across as if she's a mystery but she's actually still very immature. And Ben is feeding her ego hugely but I also think Josh will see through it.

Is that a picture of Connor Cruise?..

It does look a lot like him but Connor isn't in the Sea Org and only about 17. Apparently he's been working as a DJ. The Sea Org is a total commitment. You wouldn't get time to go off and do your own thing. You'd be lucky to have any time off at all.

You know, it's not all that improbable that she's a Scientologist, for a number of reasons.

1. She hasn't demonstrated a sense of humour, so it's unlikely to be a joke.
2. She is very susceptible to suggestion if her ego is stroked.
3. She clearly believes that she is a unique and special person.
4. She's a bit dim.
5. She takes herself very seriously.

She might not be, of course, but a lot of that myspace info is clearly serious, apart from being from Coolville. But claiming Scientology is not imcompatible with that and she is try-hard.

I'd been sent to Canberra on a mission to sort out their flagging Org (as each $ceino centre is known, short for organisation). I was by myself at the airport with no one to meet me and no money and the absurdity of the whole thing fell into relief. I decided the humiliation of begging my folks for a ticket home was better than carrying on with a crypto-fascist, quasi military operation.

At the time I thought myself lucky to escape litigation from them. I wasn't involved long enough for an existential crisis. It was more like a weird phenomenon I put down to experience.

It was the 80s, hon. I was 18 at the time.

It's a Freudian rehash with a grab bag of Eastern philosophy bundled up into an aggressive siege mentality of us vs them. The core idea is that sense memories associated with past traumas, pain and bad experiences anchor in your subconsciousness as mental impediments (known as engrams). It's pop psychology turned into an absolute belief. There's a whole ideology of ethical dynamics and a hierarchy of emotional states to go with it. The idea is to "clear" your mind of the engrams and become a force of total will power, a sort of super being who never gets sick, has total recall of all memories and is miraculously successful in everything attempted. Like Tom Cruise in an action movie.

The counselling (or auditing, as it's called) entails a series of courses where the subject picks over memories, going back into past lives (the so called time track). A device known as an e-meter is used as a sort of diagnostic tool. The e-meter is actually an electro skin galvanometer, one of the main devices used in polygraph (lie detector) set ups, but $cientology makes a fetish of them. They help the auditor to home in on mental reactions to memories but they're also used as a security checker. Members of staff are generally tested on their loyalties with them.

Reaching the state of "Clear" is the goal of Dianetics, the so called "science of mental health". After that (a process that takes years and many $$) you'll be sold on the need to liberate your soul (or thetan) from psychic restrictions, to become an "Operating Thetan".

These psychic restrictions are revealed at the third OT level of processing as being the souls of countless people attached to your own like psychic parasites, or body thetans. This is where the Xenu story comes in, the space opera about an evil overlord who depopulates his confederacy by stacking the drugged bodies of billions of his subjects around volcanoes on Earth, blowing them up with hydrogen bombs. The souls are stripped of identity and reprogrammed with false data (including all world religions) and left to glom onto the early hominids as they evolve into homo sapiens.

There are potentially any number of expensive levels to the business of shucking your body thetans. There are at least 8 available now and 10 or so proposed above that. The goal is to become spiritually clear with, in Hubbard's words, "knowing and willing cause over life, thought, matter, energy, space and time", a super super being.

Wow, kudos to you for being strong enough to ditch em.

And thank you, the explanation you just provided is far more clear and understandable (to me anyway) than anything I have seen in the media. What a bunch they must be!

You know, it's not all that improbable that she's a Scientologist, for a number of reasons.

1. She hasn't demonstrated a sense of humour, so it's unlikely to be a joke.
2. She is very susceptible to suggestion if her ego is stroked.
3. She clearly believes that she is a unique and special person.
4. She's a bit dim.
5. She takes herself very seriously.

These are all valid points. Except she appears to be need correction for her eyesight. That's an imperfection that should have been overcome by auditing. This would suggest one of the following:

1. She was only joking about Scientology.

2. She's a Scientologist yet to have the engrams erased that are undermining 20/20 vision.

3. She's a Scientologist but has yet to discover it's a load of tosh.

4. She's a Scientologist and her glasses are a prop as part of a genius plan too cunning for unenlightened dolts like us to discern.

Wow, kudos to you for being strong enough to ditch em.

Cheers. It wasn't that difficult in the end. I moved through the organisation too quickly and learnt too much too soon to be properly won over by the mind control.

Back