Skip to main content

Speaking of housemates and Scientology ...

Hang on, are you saying that they think they cure bad eyesight with that auditing machine? Seriously? How do they explain it when it doesn't work? Or is there a lot of Scientologists around with blurry vision pretending to have perfect eyesight?

(Very interesting conversation btw, thanks for your insight supermonster)

So did I. It originally came about the first time he got served a special meal during the Yes task. He jumped up on the kitchen chair and cheered, just like Tom Cruise did on Oprah's couch when Oprah asked him about Katie Holmes. Ben and Stacey commented it was just like Tom Cruise did and then decided that was a good name for him..and it's stuck. What I saw when they came up with the name originally had nothing to do with being gay or being a scientologist. I doubt BB would have shown any attempted slur on either of those subjects.

I saw it. I thought Meh. She also says she's from Coolvile. She says a lot of crap. She's says she's mysterious and interesting and hard to work out too. She's wrong on all of those counts as well. She's just a confused kid who hasn't matured to equal her age, who doesn't know who she is but desperately craves attention and acceptance and overcompensates. Nothing too hard to work out there. Ben has her worked out. He's manipulating the hell out of her. He knows very well that if she hooks up with Josh so soon after Ryan leaving the voting tweenies will hate her. So he tells her she's a mysterious muse and shoves her at Josh. Exactly the kind of things she'd love to hear about herself. Next step will be to get her nominated again and bingo..she'll be gone. Not altogether sure it will work on Josh though. I think he'll work Ben out.

I think I just fell in love with you a little bit wynter :)

From my own very brief experience with Scientology (also in the 80s), they target people who are young, don't live at home and have their own income. I got sucked into one meeting to explain about engrams and such and decided not to have any further contact.

My then best friend - who was with me when I was invited to "have a personality test" - and who lived at home without any disposable income as she was a student (we were both 18) - wasn't contacted by them at all.

Thanks, monster, for sharing your experience.

And yes, thankls supermonster for a very interesting insight into what really goes on that they don't want us to know about.

I believe its a joke. She also states that her occupation is a student and her yearly income is 60k - 75k. How the hell does that work and if it somehow is true why the hell would you state that unless of course as 'wynter' says.. she "desperately craves attention and acceptance and overcompensates".. spot on. Also, it seems as if she pondered what the funniest (as perceived by her would garnish the most laughs) religion to list would be and decided on Scientology. It would be actually funny if she put 'Apple inc' or something

Hang on, are you saying that they think they cure bad eyesight with that auditing machine? Seriously? How do they explain it when it doesn't work? Or is there a lot of Scientologists around with blurry vision pretending to have perfect eyesight?

(Very interesting conversation btw, thanks for your insight supermonster)

From what SM said, I gather they are "encouraged" to believe that there is no need of any medical (heathen ergo non $scientologist) assistance once they are "cleansed" and become "super"...So i guess there are heaps of them walking around and bumping into things.

Very Strange.

Super? What if a Scientologist goes to get a driver's License and the transport people say "sorry you have to wear glasses"

Does that mean they are rejected by the Scientologists (Aryan Style) ?

I don't want to mine you for info if you don't want to say but gotta admit, it has piqued my interest.

According to Hubbard, all your physical ailments can be attributed to your dysfunctional mind. It sounds absolutely amazing, of course, but when Diantetics is being sold to you, the Org staff member will be careful not to couch the promise of perfection in terms of a guarantee. Instead, what you'll get are a lot of anecdotal cases of astonishing improvements in physical conditions and people no longer needing glasses is a classic example.

You'll still see plenty of people in Scientology wearing glasses. The continuing eyesight problems will be explained away as being an issue not yet audited. If Clear, the problem is bumped up to having a solution in the OT levels. Even then, if glasses are still required, the matter isn't pressed. Scientologists are past masters in cognitive dissonance.

When I was in the Sea Org I was struck by how many smokers there were. I asked about this but was told that it wasn't any big deal. They could give up any time and besides, they wont get cancer because of their superior development with all the Dianetics and Scientology and such. When I pushed the matter further following such nonsensical rationalisations I was scolded for invalidating people and having negative intentions.

Super? What if a Scientologist goes to get a driver's License and the transport people say "sorry you have to wear glasses"

Does that mean they are rejected by the Scientologists (Aryan Style) ?

I don't want to mine you for info if you don't want to say but gotta admit, it has piqued my interest.

As I said above, cognitive dissonance and rationalisations work wonders in Scientology. If you catch a cold that may cast suspicion on you for having something to be guilty about. I never saw a clear example of that but one woman who was busted down for having a fling with another officer was judged harshly when it transpired she'd been diagnosed with cervical cancer. The scuttlebutt had it that there was probably a connection between her bad behaviour, low mental condition and her physical health.

If you have a history of severe mental health problems you will be turned away from auditing. Kind of ironic.

According to Hubbard, all your physical ailments can be attributed to your dysfunctional mind. It sounds absolutely amazing, of course, but when Diantetics is being sold to you, the Org staff member will be careful not to couch the promise of perfection in terms of a guarantee. Instead, what you'll get are a lot of anecdotal cases of astonishing improvements in physical conditions and people no longer needing glasses is a classic example.

You'll still see plenty of people in Scientology wearing glasses. The continuing eyesight problems will be explained away as being an issue not yet audited. If Clear, the problem is bumped up to having a solution in the OT levels. Even then, if glasses are still required, the matter isn't pressed. Scientologists are past masters in cognitive dissonance.

When I was in the Sea Org I was struck by how many smokers there were. I asked about this but was told that it wasn't any big deal. They could give up any time and besides, they wont get cancer because of their superior development with all the Dianetics and Scientology and such. When I pushed the matter further following such nonsensical rationalisations I was scolded for invalidating people and having negative intentions.

As I said above, cognitive dissonance and rationalisations work wonders in Scientology. If you catch a cold that may cast suspicion on you for having something to be guilty about. I never saw a clear example of that but one woman who was busted down for having a fling with another officer was judged harshly when it transpired she'd been diagnosed with cervical cancer. The scuttlebutt had it that there was probably a connection between her bad behaviour, low mental condition and her physical health.

If you have a history of severe mental health problems you will be turned away from auditing. Kind of ironic.

ironic in the sense that the people in charge are as mad as cut snakes?

Wow thanks for the insight.

Do they actually do anything charitable?

Once in sea org do they pay for your food and things? How do Folk support themselves ?

Are you actually on boat in sea org

That is quite mindblowing. Like some of the others here, my only knowledge of Scientology is only what I've read or seen on tv, it's really interesting to read about someones first hand knowledge and experience. It doesn't sound like too much fixing is going on there, more like more scrambling of heads. But then I guess that's what all cults have in common, take a normal person, find any little bit of uncertainty and stomp up and down on it and pull it and stretch it until it's all consuming. It would take a strong person to get up and walk away from that.

Do they actually do anything charitable?

Yes, in a way. The Church is very big on good appearances and no doubt there's the same humanitarian feeling about improving the world we all share. $cientology is all about appealing to our better nature, unfortunately that's mainly to exploit it in service to the Church.

The problem is that the charitable efforts are as much about PR and recruitment as anything else. There's a practice of turning up to crisis events and offering food, drink and 'touch assists' (sort of a $ceino reiki) but the main goal there is to try to edge out trained volunteers from standard psychology backgrounds. $cientology sees psychology and psychiatry as the arch enemy and actually characterise the professions as literally evil. Here's an account of their efforts on 9/11.

They're not really into helping the poor. The motto is: help the able to become more able. The attitude to the poor is a victim blaming one. If they had the right mental rigour, they'd get the money together to pay for Diantetics and improve themselves.

Once in sea org do they pay for your food and things? How do Folk support themselves ?

When you join the Sea Org, you sign a contract for a billion (yes, that's billion with a b) year contract. Food and lodging is provided. They'll probably pay for your unifom although I ended up having to buy mine. You work all hours, at least 12 a day. If things are going well you'll be permitted every second Sunday off. For this you're paid an allowance. This amount varies but the maximum I've seen reported is $50. $24 was standard when I was in. I was on a lower rank so only received $12/wk.

There is an ongoing case with Fair Work Australia about this. The Church is, of course, seeking an exemption from having to pay minimum wage. There's been some legal action in the US too, but nothing's been resolved there either.

Are you actually on boat in sea org

Back in the 60s, $cientology was running into legal trouble everywhere and Hubbard conceived of a floating organisation operating beyond the jurisdiction of national laws. A couple of ships were purchased and they sailed around a bit. Hubbard's fantasy was that some 3rd world country might be won over to the cause and become a $ceino nation.

When things settled down a bit on the legal front (by the mid 70s) a land base was created in Clearwater, Florida. There is still a ship. It's a cruise liner that sails around the Carribean, operating as a de luxe centre for $cientology services and as a venue for special events.

All Sea Org staff wear pseudo naval outfits but few these days have anything to do with matters nautical.

ironic in the sense that the people in charge are as mad as cut snakes?

Heh. I meant that for an organisation whose principle interest is in improving mental health, it's ironic that they'll turn away someone who's been diagnosed with schizophrenia. They're all about optimising the healthy. The rationalisation about the sick is that we're not in a position to help them until all the elites are on board. It's a top down approach to mental health.

But, yeah, it's definitely a case of lunatics running the asylum.

Back