Skip to main content

RANT!

My sister got engaged on their 10th year anniversary and married on their 20th. Had a little wedding in the park, picked up a gorgeous 2nd hand dress for $300 and then had catering and drinks at their house. They've now been married 5 or 6 years. People have only just gave up asking when she's having kids... She's 41 now. A wedding is just a party for everyone else to enjoy and it's so much $$... I would definitely rather spend all that money on a honeymoon. If I did get married it would be very, very small.. Screw having people watch you get all teary reading out your vows.. And all the people watching me walk down the isle? Erm... Too many eyes would instantly make me trip over hahaha

You're right though - you don't need the paperwork to prove you're happy

I also have no intention to ever marry, but I'm already onto my third surname so I'm pretty sure I will never change it again.

I can think of few things worse than going through the whole wedding process to be honest, luckily for me no one expects me to get married.

I do get called selfish for not wanting kids though, like all the time. I don't get it?

You are both so right. If I were my kids, I wouldn't marry either. I loved the idea of the big party, but it wasn't the production it is these days. When I married Mr Jam 2, we had a celebrant in the garden, catered ourselves and had all of our children as attendants. First time round was the whole catastrophe, but on a very small scale compared to weddings these days.

A marriage certificate is just a formality to declare your love is real and you are commited to each other. You can do just the same without that "Bit of paper".

;)

Yep, that's what I always maintain. I guess it's hard when 2 people want different things from a relationship, but if everyone is on the same page and agrees that it's a massive waste of money and kind of pointless, then it's great.

Aren't there tax benefits to being married though?

I've always believed that's the case, but seeing as I am denied the privilege of marrying someone I love, I never really looked into the detail.

My sister got engaged on their 10th year anniversary and married on their 20th. Had a little wedding in the park, picked up a gorgeous 2nd hand dress for $300 and then had catering and drinks at their house. They've now been married 5 or 6 years. People have only just gave up asking when she's having kids... She's 41 now. A wedding is just a party for everyone else to enjoy and it's so much $$... I would definitely rather spend all that money on a honeymoon. If I did get married it would be very, very small.. Screw having people watch you get all teary reading out your vows.. And all the people watching me walk down the isle? Erm... Too many eyes would instantly make me trip over hahaha

You're right though - you don't need the paperwork to prove you're happy

Miss Pudd,

IF you opted to be wed, I could officiate (legally) and it would cost you zip. Then you could run away and have a nice holiday and not have 19 toasters. WIN!!:thumbsup:

Aren't there tax benefits to being married though?

I've always believed that's the case, but seeing as I am denied the privilege of marrying someone I love, I never really looked into the detail.

Nah. you can be in a defacto relationship for x time and be legally considered "wed" by common law so all the perks are there... oh if you are in a HETERO relationship. If you are gay you are screwed on all counts. THAT is a different rant all its own. IMO it sucks.

Nah. you can be in a defacto relationship for x time and be legally considered "wed" by common law so all the perks are there... oh if you are in a HETERO relationship. If you are gay you are screwed on all counts. THAT is a different rant all its own. IMO it sucks.

There have been considerable advancements in the legal recognition of same sex relationships as far as tax and healthcare and the like goes, only a few years ago there was absolutely zeros recognition which sucked. It still has a loooong way to go and it does suck a lot.

Miss Pudd,

IF you opted to be wed, I could officiate (legally) and it would cost you zip. Then you could run away and have a nice holiday and not have 19 toasters. WIN!!:thumbsup:
I'm definitely going to count on you... Haha the lack of 19 toasters at the end of the day sounds like a modern day fairytale

There have been considerable advancements in the legal recognition of same sex relationships as far as tax and healthcare and the like goes, only a few years ago there was absolutely zeros recognition which sucked. It still has a loooong way to go and it does suck a lot.
Actually yes, now that you say that, I remember that Labor during government amended almost 100 pieces of legislation to give same sex relationships the same rights as those of heterosexual ones. Well done them!

Marriage itself, however, is still off the agenda. :(

Oh I agree there has been advancement but IMO it should not matter who you love. The most intense, loving, caring relationships I know, are that of gay friends. Some of them ooze so much LURV it near sickens me...lol but they are who they are...totally and utterly committed to each other. That type of relationship should not on any scale, be seen as LESS.

Oh I agree there has been advancement but IMO it should not matter who you love. The most intense, loving, caring relationships I know, are that of gay friends. Some of them ooze so much LURV it near sickens me...lol but they are who they are...totally and utterly committed to each other. That type of relationship should not on any scale, be seen as LESS.

My Mr Jam's twin is a wonderful woman who has been in a stable, loving, generous relationship for 30 years. She and her wife are a fabulous example of loyalty, fidelity and generosity to our kids.

Actually yes, now that you say that, I remember that Labor during government amended almost 100 pieces of legislation to give same sex relationships the same rights as those of heterosexual ones. Well done them!

Marriage itself, however, is still off the agenda. :(

Yeah it was a great move, it seems the pollies are very stubborn with marriage though which really sucks. Like, as I said, I don't intend to ever marry so it doesn't bother me on a personal level, but the fact that those who want to cannot is just illogical to me. No argument I've ever heard against it has made any sense to me.

Agree 100%. I know it's a cliche, but look at the mess some heteros make of marriage, the abuse it like it's a right not a privilege versus some gay couples who are so committed and love.

My Mr Jam's twin is a wonderful woman who has been in a stable, loving, generous relationship for 30 years. She and her wife are a fabulous example of loyalty, fidelity and generosity to our kids.[/QUOTE

That's so nice!

Marriage should be a choice that everyone is free to chose to do or not do with the person they love. To not be able to have that choice seems so backwards in a country that considers themselves free. And to have the decision to even discuss it as an option for a Australia really be hindered by one man (if we can call Abbot that) is..... grrr I can't even find a word in my tired brain to describe it. but beyond idiotic.

My Mr Jam's twin is a wonderful woman who has been in a stable, loving, generous relationship for 30 years. She and her wife are a fabulous example of loyalty, fidelity and generosity to our kids.

THAT is the the stuff I am talking about @Jam. Just that huge oozeball of love that comes from their collective pores. I sometimes wonder if a lot of Hetero's ( and lets face it, the majority of decision makers are at least hetero on paper...) cannot "GET" that kind of love because they never have and never will, experience it. When you are content and actually love someone, it's a fundamental need fulfilled.

A lot of people tend to run with wants over needs and that's where THEY err and therefore judge. ( perhaps too cryptic)

I am so happy for your Mr Jam's twin sis and her lovely partner. I wish them nothing less than continued joy and happiness in their life together.

Your post put me in a good mood again as I was in a pretty shitty one before so, thank you.:kiss:

http://giphy.com/gifs/black-and-white-scary-stormy-night-EdoX6pa57laE
THAT is the the stuff I am talking about @Jam. Just that huge oozeball of love that comes from their collective pores. I sometimes wonder if a lot of Hetero's ( and lets face it, the majority of decision makers are at least hetero on paper...) cannot "GET" that kind of love because they never have and never will, experience it. When you are content and actually love someone, it's a fundamental need fulfilled.

A lot of people tend to run with wants over needs and that's where THEY err and therefore judge. ( perhaps too cryptic)

I am so happy for your Mr Jam's twin sis and her lovely partner. I wish them nothing less than continued joy and happiness in their life together.

Your post put me in a good mood again as I was in a pretty shitty one before so, thank you.:kiss:

They always put me in a good mood, too. They've both had a lot of real hard stuff to deal with; and I'm not talking first world problems. They have been unerring in their love for each other.

Apologies that the rant ahead is mostly unrelated but.....

F*ck I'm furious! Abbott is so-o-o concerned about "terrorism"....yeah, if it fits with his political and corporate agenda.

How about the terrorism that women live with every day? Where's the 'war on terror' for the women killed by their ex/partner every single week? Or the threat of rape and/or murder if we dare to go out at night, or, visibly stay in. Why is that ongoing daily terrorism so acceptable? So its ok for us to live with that real threat but radical of us to notice that the perpetrators are male? Why do so many males in our society grow up unable to cope when they don't get their way, so resort to intimidation, bashings or "seiges"? Why are adult men having tantrums that blow out into violence and murder? So much savagery from men who simply had their feelings hurt, or who didn't get what they wanted, or who felt overlooked.

We really need to change something about the way our society raises and educates its male population. And if we addressed that, it'd flow on that there'd be a lot less men with flags and guns inflicting their rage problems on the rest of us.

Apologies that the rant ahead is mostly unrelated but.....

F*ck I'm furious! Abbott is so-o-o concerned about "terrorism"....yeah, if it fits with his political and corporate agenda.

How about the terrorism that women live with every day? Where's the 'war on terror' for the women killed by their ex/partner every single week? Or the threat of rape and/or murder if we dare to go out at night, or, visibly stay in. Why is that ongoing daily terrorism so acceptable? So its ok for us to live with that real threat but radical of us to notice that the perpetrators are male? Why do so many males in our society grow up unable to cope when they don't get their way, so resort to intimidation, bashings or "seiges"? Why are adult men having tantrums that blow out into violence and murder? So much savagery from men who simply had their feelings hurt, or who didn't get what they wanted, or who felt overlooked.

We really need to change something about the way our society raises and educates its male population. And if we addressed that, it'd flow on that there'd be a lot less men with flags and guns inflicting their rage problems on the rest of us.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Tony Abbott is a stain and because he lives pretty much a "Stepford" existence, the issues you broach are not even on his radar. All you have to do is look at the "token" women in his Cabinet and the fact that Abbott HIMSELF is a "co" in the Ministerial "role"as Minister for Women. Apparently Michaelia Cash has no idea what it is to be a woman or what legalities women have right to, without HIS input. I believe his mindset is a "treat them mean, keep them keen" mentality so unfortunately the terror being part and parcel of many an Australian woman's daily existence is irrelevant to him. His silence on these issues speaks volumes.

It may cause discourse on here but as it IS the Rant thread, it should not matter.I truly believe his mindset revolves around his (personal)Christian beliefs. His LACK of addressing these unfortunate day to day issues that ARE happening in a country his Ego "rules" IMO makes HIM as much a supporter of terrorism, but just a form of terrorism he personally agrees with.

Back