Skip to main content

RANT!

Slow internet speeds that Australia have compared to other developed countries.
I was playing a 'cards against humanity' game the other night and one of the cards is "a decent fucking internet connection" lol so true for us in Australia.

Well ... soon I won't be complaining... NBN comes to my area end of January. 100mb connection come at me!

ETA: then your Clawson thread wont load so bloody slowly for me!

Yup that's right, some peoples priorities are different and they're different and different life stages.. I don't like it when people dictate what they perceive as "running out of time". 30s is a good time imo because you've had the chance to establish yourself and do things before you 'settle down' so to speak. Some people obviously think differently and there is no set age.. So people should stop hounding people to have babies... We aren't here to soley procreate. It's nice that you had people around you who "got it"

The difference for me between babies and dogs is that I can leave my dogs unattended while I'm at work and it's not illegal lol :)

Exactly what I used to say!!!:)

I haven't wanted children since I was 30, I'm almost 53 now. My 50 year old sister couldn't sustain a pregnancy past the 3 month mark for various reasons and so adopted a child when she lived in Bangkok. Neither of us were under pressure from our parents to have children. I have never felt the need or desire to marry either and am the only one in my family to have never gone down that path.
There have been some people who have asked over the years when I was going to get married. They learned not to ask that question after a while. However a downside of not being attached (for want of a better word) either to a man or offspring, is that I get the feeling that I am seen as the odd spinster type and not taken seriously as a person. As if I am not valid as a person. It's a weird spot to be in at times.

Smart arse pricks. After he belted her, my sister's ex used to buy her a kinder surprise. Nephew had supervised access with him today and what does he give him for Christmas? A fuckin kinder surprise. No surprise the prick hasn't changed.

Smart arse pricks. After he belted her, my sister's ex used to buy her a kinder surprise. Nephew had supervised access with him today and what does he give him for Christmas? A fuckin kinder surprise. No surprise the prick hasn't changed.
What an asshat. Hopefully he gets served a good karma surprise one day.

Next person who tells me I have to hurry up and have kids because it's 'my turn' or its 'up to me' to give my mother a grandchild... I'm going to smack.

grrrr with you on this. My husband and I had one group of friends that all did the synchronised lets all get married and have babies at the same time deal. Every social even we got the "so when are you having kids"question. We even got to the point of saying that we have been told that for a variety of reasons us conceiving and being able to keep a baby til term is highly unlikely, yet it still didn't stop them from asking each and every time. They were lucky we were well adjusted and accepting of this fact or they would have been bitchslapped!

I also don't get the you're being selfish argument which is usually followed by nobody will look after you in your old age. So me not wanting to pop out a sprog to look after me when I am old makes me selfish? what???

While I am on a rant I also find it frustrating when I get told that my husband and I making the decision that he take my last name when we got married is a feminazi stance. Umm no, he is just estranged from his family, we a close to mine, and it just made more sense. It never crossed our mind that it was a big deal, or extremely uncommon!

grrrr with you on this. My husband and I had one group of friends that all did the synchronised lets all get married and have babies at the same time deal. Every social even we got the "so when are you having kids"question. We even got to the point of saying that we have been told that for a variety of reasons us conceiving and being able to keep a baby til term is highly unlikely, yet it still didn't stop them from asking each and every time. They were lucky we were well adjusted and accepting of this fact or they would have been bitchslapped!

I also don't get the you're being selfish argument which is usually followed by nobody will look after you in your old age. So me not wanting to pop out a sprog to look after me when I am old makes me selfish? what???

While I am on a rant I also find it frustrating when I get told that my husband and I making the decision that he take my last name when we got married is a feminazi stance. Umm no, he is just estranged from his family, we a close to mine, and it just made more sense. It never crossed our mind that it was a big deal, or extremely uncommon!

Props for bucking conformity. I hope though your hubby is not too emasculated now over something so FULL ON as a last name! LOL :rolleyes:

I have always put my names with the surname of every boyfriend I've had to see how it would sound. The problem is my middle name. It just goes with my surname but not their names. It has always had me thinking that I would continue to use my name, but I also wanted to move up the alphabet. I don't have brothers so would consider hyphenating the surnames but some names run better in one combo than in the other. For example Skye's surname, Wheatley-Young runs better than Young-Wheatley.

I do not plan on ever getting married, but lets just say for the sake of this conversation that I did. I would keep my Surname, I like it and it has the same number of letters as my first name, I think it looks good written down.
I did that as it made far more sense business wise than to change to his surname. I made that little stand when I got married years ago (now divorced)

I have now been in a relationship for wow, close to 16 years. Never did the "paperwork" as it's not needed. The simple fact we have been together this long and are still happy (occasional arguments happen...duh) means we are in a committed relationship regardless of any hooplah!

I would prefer to spend $ on a cool holiday with friends than spend money on a "frock" I would never wear again and crappy food everyone would complain about at some point down the line ( oh.. meant to tell you years ago.. the fish was dry)

I do not plan on ever getting married, but lets just say for the sake of this conversation that I did. I would keep my Surname, I like it and it has the same number of letters as my first name, I think it looks good written down.

When I was married the first time, I changed to his name. I went back to my maiden name when we divorced and then didn't take my second husband's name. That means that my kids (who I had with my first husband) have a different name to me and also to their stepfather. It's a funny old household. You should see the Medicare card!

I have now been in a relationship for wow, close to 16 years. Never did the "paperwork" as it's not needed. The simple fact we have been together this long and are still happy (occasional arguments happen...duh) means we are in a committed relationship regardless of any hooplah!

I would prefer to spend $ on a cool holiday with friends than spend money on a "frock" I would never wear again and crappy food everyone would complain about at some point down the line ( oh.. meant to tell you years ago.. the fish was dry)
My sister got engaged on their 10th year anniversary and married on their 20th. Had a little wedding in the park, picked up a gorgeous 2nd hand dress for $300 and then had catering and drinks at their house. They've now been married 5 or 6 years. People have only just gave up asking when she's having kids... She's 41 now. A wedding is just a party for everyone else to enjoy and it's so much $$... I would definitely rather spend all that money on a honeymoon. If I did get married it would be very, very small.. Screw having people watch you get all teary reading out your vows.. And all the people watching me walk down the isle? Erm... Too many eyes would instantly make me trip over hahaha

You're right though - you don't need the paperwork to prove you're happy

I also have no intention to ever marry, but I'm already onto my third surname so I'm pretty sure I will never change it again.

I can think of few things worse than going through the whole wedding process to be honest, luckily for me no one expects me to get married.

I do get called selfish for not wanting kids though, like all the time. I don't get it?

Back