Skip to main content

Random advice thread

Hi everyone! :)

I thought that I would keep you posted about my uni experience. I am now in semester 2 and I am currently in the long and complicated process of finally dropping the I.T half of my double degree! :D

I don't know if it will help me enjoy uni better but I will be doing something I enjoy at least and I only have to do 3 units this semester so now there is less workload. :thumbsup:

The only problem after I finally get this I.T stuff sorted is getting all of my classes to be on one or two days again. :( If I can't I think I'll have to defer until next year! :D

Hi everyone! :)

I thought that I would keep you posted about my uni experience. I am now in semester 2 and I am currently in the long and complicated process of finally dropping the I.T half of my double degree! :D

I don't know if it will help me enjoy uni better but I will be doing something I enjoy at least and I only have to do 3 units this semester so now there is less workload. :thumbsup:

The only problem after I finally get this I.T stuff sorted is getting all of my classes to be on one or two days again. :( If I can't I think I'll have to defer until next year! :D
you can never guarantee even after deferring you'll be able to get your classes sorted out to your satisfaction ... my son had an issue with subjects not being run until the following year in 2nd semester ... and it ended up costing him another year to complete his degree .. plus by spreading out his subjects to lighten his load across that year he then became a part time student ... couldn't be covered by our family health insurance as a dependent student ... couldn't get concession travel to/from uni ... plus he ended up feeling so negative towards the uni because he'd been messed around so much with what was supposedly a core subject that he'd assumed would be available in first semester and then wasn't.
SO before you defer make sure all the subjects you want ARE going to be available next year

I wouldn't be very pleased either if that happened to me. Why would you run a core subject halfway through the year and not first thing? That just doesn't make sense to me! :confused:

I got a little messed-around with yesterday. I made five visits to the Student Admin office each time waiting half-an-hour to see someone (I don't know if that's normal but at Bond University you would just walked in and get someone straight-up) with people giving my all kinds of contradicting information with each visit. It turns out that if I had someone who knew what they were doing the first time, I could have had this all sorted out in maybe 2 hours rather than two days.

I've got this mostly sorted out now but unfortunately my lectures are scattered across the entire week which means that I'll have to watch them online. :( The good news however is that I've sorted all of my tutorials/labs/pracs into one day so I'll only have to be there for, you guessed it, one day! :D

I need a new vacuum and dishwasher.

This one looks good -

BISSELL - 2177F - LIFT OFF PET VACUUM
$269

2177f_med.jpg

I have used a friend's Bissell and it was very good.

And with dishwashers, has anyone got one of those benchtop ones???
And who has the best deals:)
Seems to be the lowest price is $400-499
Anyone bought an Aldi dishwasher?

Thanks - nobody.
The Bissell is awesome, and we got a fantastic deal - enough money left for a dishwasher now.
Still need advice????

Thanks - nobody.
The Bissell is awesome, and we got a fantastic deal - enough money left for a dishwasher now.
Still need advice????
Never bought a dishwasher before... We have one here it came with the house, though we still do a lot if washing by hand. Question: do you really need a dishwasher???

Never bought a dishwasher before... We have one here it came with the house, though we still do a lot if washing by hand. Question: do you really need a dishwasher???

Yes, yes and yes - since I have no servants, and I AM SICK OF DISHES...who does not need a dishwasher?
It is the same as having a clothes washing machine, essential - and I haven't had one for a couple of years now.

I enjoy washing dishes and happily do them. Hate wiping them though. When I'm at my parents and the wine glasses are used, Mum lets me wash them as I'm rather particular. I'll wash everything that shouldn't or doesn't go in their dishwasher. I use a laundrette as my building doesn't have a laundry anymore and we don't have our own taps in the flats. The beauty of the laundrette is doing more than one load at once. The bad bit is making the effort to get there.

Yes, yes and yes - since I have no servants, and I AM SICK OF DISHES...who does not need a dishwasher?
It is the same as having a clothes washing machine, essential - and I haven't had one for a couple of years now.
I don't see a clothes washer as the same as a dishwasher, washing clothes by hand is very difficult IMO, now washing dishes by hand, super duper easy. If you want a dishwasher the by all means go and buy one. Have you tried looking for reviews online for dishwashers? These days everything has a review of it online.

Hmm, dirty dishes are worse if you ask me.
And just another boring manual labour waste of my time.

Guess my aversion began as a kid, still washing up at midnight in a pokey dark corner, for about 11 people.
And no washing machine either, we had a primitive twin tub thing, almost the same as hand washing.
And you do your washing once you reach double digits, I think Dad did our sheets for while tho.
I preferred washing clothes - just once a week for starters

Thanks - and yes it sucked, and we rarely ate dinner until 7.30pm so it was so late by the time everyone ate and scraped etc.
Very poor time management in our enormous family, but shit cooking for 11 that is tough too.

Hello! :D

I have a recorded job interview tomorrow (I record myself answering the questions and upload it to the site) for my first job and was wondering if anybody had any helpful tips or hints for me. This is the third stage of the recruitment process for Dick Smith Electronics.

I'm worried that I'm not going to know what I'm talking about or mess-up because it's one continuous video and I can't edit it in any way. :nailbiting:

Thanks - and yes it sucked, and we rarely ate dinner until 7.30pm so it was so late by the time everyone ate and scraped etc.
Very poor time management in our enormous family, but shit cooking for 11 that is tough too.
with the dishwasher - check out how your plates and stuff would actually fit into it ... I bought mine based on price and regret it because I hate the way it stacks the cups etc at the top
its worth consideration ... can't really recommend anything

Hi everyone. So once again it is the start of another uni year and once again I do not wish to return. I really just hate studying! I have a job and I'm going to check with my boss whether he can give me more hours during the week to compensate for this because I really, really do not wish to return. :(

Hi everyone. So once again it is the start of another uni year and once again I do not wish to return. I really just hate studying! I have a job and I'm going to check with my boss whether he can give me more hours during the week to compensate for this because I really, really do not wish to return. :(
what are you studying?

Media production. I started last year doing media and IT (double degree), then in semester 2 I dropped IT. Now I'm just doing media and I really don't want to go back but my parents didn't let me defer until I was ready last year, and I'm afraid they won't let me again! :cry:

Why is it up to your parents?
Exactly what I thought! I'm the one who has to deal with it!!! They just don't seem to see that, they just keep saying, "You'll get use to it," "this is what you want to do when your older so why not get it over with now." And I just don't want to yet!

But for some reason when they hear someone else has deffered or dropped-out they say, "They'll go when they're ready." Or "It'll work out". It's just not fair!!!

Exactly what I thought! I'm the one who has to deal with it!!! They just don't seem to see that, they just keep saying, "You'll get use to it," "this is what you want to do when your older so why not get it over with now." And I just don't want to yet!

But for some reason when they hear someone else has deffered or dropped-out they say, "They'll go when they're ready." Or "It'll work out". It's just not fair!!!

Are your family contributing financially? I think I said this to you previously - uni doesn't suit everyone. And sometimes people just need to get a bit more work and life experience before it can work for them. It doesn't mean they were immature, it means they were mature enough to explore their options and learn what they really want to do. Have you looked a getting work experience in the field you are interested in at all? One of my former colleagues went straight from school to her Uni degree, got Honours, started working where she always dreamed she wanted to work - and realised that it wasn't what she wanted to do at all

Back