Skip to main content

Priya Appreciation Society

Priya purported lived in New Delhi, hence attending Venkys college. She also did NOT get a Masters in English. Also...

according to the Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...h-is-our-2nd-language/articleshow/5680962.cms,

BTW I DID reply to your "Challenge" thread and you have already thanked me for the input there. THAT is the only reason I know anything about her as I took your challenge seriously.

Why did you just link an article that says its the second most common? A second language?

My whole point is you can have studied a language, or alternatively you can have lived in an English-speaking country for most of your life, and it doesn't mean you can assimilate that language. My point: it's not her native tongue, stop holding her to that standard

giphy.gif

:hilarious:

Why did you just link an article that says its the second most common? A second language?

My whole point is you can have studied a language, or alternatively you can have lived in an English-speaking country for most of your life, and it doesn't mean you can assimilate that language. My point: it's not her native tongue, stop holding her to that standard

It is second ONLY to Hindi an even those speaking Hindi SPEAK ENGLISH TOO in common parlance. If anything it's you being a little bigoted here to assume the woman cannot be multi-lingual in her day to day life.

Isn't there only one language that can technically be your first? How can you have a first language?

Depends on how you look at it. A lot of languages we believe we speak as a "first", many words clearly come from elsewhere. Even the "western" numeric system is a "yoink" from Arabic.

It is second ONLY to Hindi an even those speaking Hindi SPEAK ENGLISH TOO in common parlance. If anything it's you being a little bigoted here to assume the woman cannot be multi-lingual in her day to day life.

Oh yes someone who has a French username and is bilingual is completely bigoted. I seriously do not think you understand what you are typing. If it's her second language then she is never going to have total English assimilation. There is a difference between being bilingual and being a native speaker. A BIG ONE. My family is a living example of this. I know people who are living examples of this. How DARE you call me a bigot. You're about as cultured as Gina Rineheart.

And your suggestion about how you look at it, is bloody stupid. A first language is a native or mother tongue. All languages derive from another. There are very few languages today that have not evolved from predecessors thousands of years ago. No fucking wonder someone can hear the cogs turning in Prisus head when she's talking to Travis or Skye, I'd be grabbing the oil to stop them rusting.

Last edited:
She is thoughtful and intelligent.* This places her in a different stratosphere from most of the other housemates, who have their own good qualities, I'm sure.

Despite English being her second language (I am assuming - it is certainly not, as mentioned above, her first language) she has a far better grasp of it than many housemembers, but is always kindly towards them and does not recoil in horror from their paucity of vocabulary or comprehension, or their unusual mental processes. I think she is a very decent person.

*Less intelligent viewers may not appreciate this. I see some of our brothers and sisters struggling with this factor on this very thread. Ahem.

but is always kindly towards them and does not recoil in horror from their paucity of vocabulary or comprehension, or their unusual mental processes. I think she is a very decent person.

And that, for me, is one of the key aspects that make me a Pristian. Too many intelligent people adopt an elitist attitude (I've regretfully been guilty of this in the past) and it's the worst. It takes true intelligence and decency to be aware that there are different levels of intelligence, and none are better or worse—or at least it doesn't necessarily measure a person's worth. That's why I'm a big supporter of Priya's relationship with Skye, and of course Priya in general.

Oh yes someone who has a French username and is bilingual is completely bigoted. I seriously do not think you understand what you are typing. If it's her second language then she is never going to have total English assimilation. There is a difference between being bilingual and being a native speaker. A BIG ONE. My family is a living example of this. I know people who are living examples of this. How DARE you call me a bigot. You're about as cultured as Gina Rineheart.

And your suggestion about how you look at it, is bloody stupid. A first language is a native or mother tongue. All languages derive from another. There are very few languages today that have not evolved from predecessors thousands of years ago. No fucking wonder someone can hear the cogs turning in Prisus head when she's talking to Travis or Skye, I'd be grabbing the oil to stop them rusting.

You gave a very good answer.

Sometimes I don't reply to some posters, because I think they are too young to understand, maybe they just don't know. If you could teach them it would be good, but in a forum it's not possible. One day they might learn.

I am guessing it will be a bad edit.

My gut is telling me that BB & co want her out.

Priya got a shit edit last week & I think her save % reflected that.
Yeah I suspect they want her gone too. That's why I asked @MrPRiSuS last night how they were treating him when he went to the evictions. Not that I'd expect them to be full on assholes or anything but just if he could get a sense that they wanted her out.

I hate when they blatantly make stuff like that known. You're not even a fan of her and you're picking up on it also, which says a lot. They shouldn't mess around like that whether it be with Priya, Ryan or whomever else in the house.

I know exactly what I typed and stand by it. It's not as though Priya went to Venky's to LEARN English as some new language, but rather, English was always part of her life in common parlance from day dot of her life and she use that to get her certification in English from that College.

Also, I speak 7 languages. 5 through study (2 of those by immersion study) and 2 through day to day common parlance since birth. So consider me a polyglot. Now what?

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but obvious Indian lineage aside... I've just started watching season 13 (has finished so I'm behind the 8 ball a bit) but there's a designer on it, whose personality is SO Priya. And she's talented (so no one likes her) and very strategic.

Worth watching the series just to see Priya's sister from another mista ;)

Link to interview here:
http://theaerogram.com/everything-wanted-know-project-runway-designer-sandhya-garg/

Yeah I suspect they want her gone too. That's why I asked @MrPRiSuS last night how they were treating him when he went to the evictions. Not that I'd expect them to be full on assholes or anything but just if he could get a sense that they wanted her out.

I hate when they blatantly make stuff like that known. You're not even a fan of her and you're picking up on it also, which says a lot. They shouldn't mess around like that whether it be with Priya, Ryan or whomever else in the house.

I think quite the opposite! Last night really should have been a double. I thought, when I saw it was a single - with seven people up - that they must have decided to make it a single to save someone they valued. I think Priya is a valued housemate, from a producer's point of view. She's articulate and insightful, and strategising from day one, and not afraid to discuss that with Big Brother. A dream contestant!

You gave a very good answer.

Sometimes I don't reply to some posters, because I think they are too young to understand, maybe they just don't know. If you could teach them it would be good, but in a forum it's not possible. One day they might learn.

Thank you even though it was a slight at me. You have just shown where assumption can lead. For the record as to age.. I am one of the people APIA call to see if I would like the products they have on offer. I am their target demographic.;)

I feel like (and this is the common theme for the entire show this year) half of the production love and value Priya, and then the other half have this vendetta against her for currently undisclosed reasons. Because some days, and certainly before the last week or two, they seem to be very Pro Prisus, but other days it's the complete opposite. There was that one episode where Sonia opened the show basically saying, "FUCK PRIYA! SHE SUCKS! DON'T YOU AGREE, KIDS?!" and that night there were articles posted on jump-in that were like, "IS PRIYA LOSING CONTROL?!" and it was just very strange and forced, and I really didn't see it coming!

Thank you even though it was a slight at me. You have just shown where assumption can lead. For the record as to age.. I am one of the people APIA call to see if I would like the products they have on offer. I am their target demographic.;)

Well, to not understand the meaning of "first language", yes, I just assumed that the poster must have been young.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, that is the way I see some comments.

Back