Skip to main content

Post Something Interesting

Gorgeous!
I offer a northern lightning storm lol
Lightning storms while spectacular can be both good and bad. Dry lightning storms cause bush fires (or wild fires as you know them?) and living in California you would know all about them? I HATE dry summer storms for the potential bush fire threat but if they are followed by a downpour that's a different thing...all good! My f-i-l used to sit for hours on end on his verandah watching lightning strikes and then reporting them to the various watch towers in our area...he was head of the local CFA (Country Fire Brigade).

Lightning storms while spectacular can be both good and bad. Dry lightning storms cause bush fires (or wild fires as you know them?) and living in California you would know all about them? I HATE dry summer storms for the potential bush fire threat but if they are followed by a downpour that's a different thing...all good! My f-i-l used to sit for hours on end on his verandah watching lightning strikes and then reporting them to the various watch towers in our area...he was head of the local CFA (Country Fire Brigade).
For sure, some say California weather is earthquakes, mudslides, fires & droughts (or sadder still, mass shootings grrrr)
What a great job for your f-i-l

This was a great exercise:

I once found a wallet on the road in a suburban street. The licence was for a woman who apparently lived just a few houses along. There was - and I didn't count it all - more than $300, and amongst other cards was a 2SER* supporter card. Anyway I went to the house but nobody was home (weekday afternoon) so I ended up leaving it in the mailbox. In hindsight I should have taken it home and tried again later just to ensure it was safe. So I hope she got it back fully intact.

*I like 2SER, it's the student station at UTS. So I judged her as a good person.

Interesting article about converting your dogs age to human years.

Ruby is 6.5yo. I put that into the log calculator here to get 1.87 (I rounded it down), then multiply by 16 = 29.9 then add 31 = 60.9, so she's almost 61 in human years. As the article notes the rate dogs age in terms of milestones is non-linear to humans so they age faster and slower at different stages of life. Lots of disclaimers about different breeds living much shorter or longer lifespans but I think in Ruby's case she's probably similar to a labrador retriever which they based their study on.

1669031770238.png

Last edited:
Interesting article about converting your dogs age to human years.

Ruby is 6.5yo. I put that into the log calculator here to get 1.87 (I rounded it down), then multiply by 16 = 29.9 then add 31 = 60.9, so she's almost 61 in human years. As the article notes the rate dogs age in terms of milestones is non-linear to humans so they age faster and slower at different stages of life. Lots of disclaimers about different breeds living much shorter or longer lifespans but I think in Ruby's case she's probably similar to a labrador retriever which they based their study on.

View attachment 59387
My little one is off the chart! She’s an old doggie these days. (Survived her lister who also got off the chart but departed earlier this year. Loved that doggie).

My little one is off the chart! She’s an old doggie these days. (Survived her lister who also got off the chart but departed earlier this year. Loved that doggie).
Doesn't work for all breeds so take it all with a grain of salt.

I don’t know if this as interesting to you as it is for me… I grew up just outside of Edmonton and have many fond memories of going to the mall, the water park, and watching many brave people take the leap off this bungee tower.

Back