Skip to main content

New Zealand Survivor

The outpost challenges haven't really worked, the idea seemed to be to get cross-tribe alliances but they are too suspicious of each other.

The guy who acts camp seemed to be getting built up for a fall this episode with some rather over-confident confessionals, it didn't happen (they had to contrive some idol suspense) but I wonder if things might go against him soon if he gets an unfavourable edit.

Well that was the best episode by far, spoilers ahead if you haven't seen ep 5 yet.

The reward challenge wasn't properly tested? They didn't show everything being tested when it got introduced, like the US version always does.

I thought it was a bit strange having someone go to the presenter to get the idol, on the US version they'd probably just be told by the cameraman that it will be put in their bag if they want it back. If it was a factor in them not voting for Eve then it really messed up what could have been a great ending.

It can seem very dark at these tribals, with the flame light flickering across people's faces adding to the atmosphere.

The reward challenge wasn't properly tested? They didn't show everything being tested when it got introduced, like the US version always does.
One of two rookie errors in this ep. CBS has a 'dream team' who run through all the challenges prior to shooting them to make sure they play out ok but I guess TVNZ doesn't? As soon as they started spinning really fast I thought 'oh, that doesn't look good', and sure enough... Obviously they then realised that part of the challenge was not safe so flagged it, but they should have known this ahead of time.

The other error was not having the tribe swap eggs on different platters for men and women to ensure a gender balance on the two mixed tribes.

Dave is mighty fine and those daggy shorts he was wearing at the challenge were rather flattering in their profile lol. I cannot stand Adam. I hate smarmy queens and he is the worst. Ugh. UGH!

They didn't even have to show the mishap, they could just have shown the second part. I suppose they thought it made good drama, but I thought it made them look silly.

They didn't even have to show the mishap, they could just have shown the second part. I suppose they thought it made good drama, but I thought it made them look silly.
They did sit her out for the rest and they wouldn't have been able to explain why.

So the latest episode...7

I think the pre-show relationship of Dave and Matt is unfair really. it gives them an advantage towards the big prize. No idea what the help is for some of them in eliminating Dylan, it's like it's some kind of group-think, people are told he's untrustworthy so he must be. After the medevac I thought there might not be an elimination and I was wondering if they were going through the voting just to spring it on them that nobody was going home.

So the latest episode...7

I think the pre-show relationship of Dave and Matt is unfair really. it gives them an advantage towards the big prize. No idea what the help is for some of them in eliminating Dylan, it's like it's some kind of group-think, people are told he's untrustworthy so he must be. After the medevac I thought there might not be an elimination and I was wondering if they were going through the voting just to spring it on them that nobody was going home.
Yes I am also surprised they allowed two people who knew each other to compete. I doubt very much the US would let t happen (although rather unlikely given the population/size of the country). Don't they ask them about their school history during the casting process?

I'm not upset that whingy Dylan is out, though, and I also thought maybe there would be no vote at TC. But I would have felt like I'd watched the ep for nothing had that happened.

Oh, and another brutal strength-related challenge. They need to stop doing those. So yeah, TVNZ continues to make rookie production errors even on their second season.

I didn't mind Dylan that much, I thought the edit was more of a problem, his success at the tribal the other episode had so many closeups for his reaction it was ridiculous. Adam annoys me more, his role feels scripted, the bitchy camp guy who's the villain.

The highly physical nature of some challenges I normally enjoy, you only really get it on this and The Challenge. There was a big guy on their team who they could have been picked to hold onto the post, so I just think they made the wrong strategy. Once Eve accepted being picked I don't know how she could complain, you're about to get dragged through the mud that's always happened on Survivor.

Dammit Arun is out. I don't care for long hair on guys but he is sexy and had beautiful eyes/brows. Boooooo.
Meh.

That was good, I am enjoying this season so much more than the last US one.

And one of those brutal challenges I wouldn't last 15 minutes in, being a fluffy blue muppet with floppy arms.

Well
thank god Renee (who?)
is out. And
Dave lives to see another day.
I am kinda hoping that
Matt gets screwed over for his duplicity

(if you've watched this then there are no spoilers here)

I enjoyed Brad's elimination, and to see Matt having a break out episode was interesting. Though he took a big risk telling Adam, I wouldn't have trusted him to keep quiet and not tell Brad. Dave seems to be a big gambler, people who do that normally get blindsided at some point, though this year that doesn't seem to happen (reminds me of Wendell not playing his idol several times)

Then the next episode Matt seems to be getting a too cocky edit, thinking he can just keep on everyone's good side and pick people off. Renee's seemed quite passive the last two episodes, knowing she's a target but sitting low hoping others will be a bigger target. The tribal council looked like a classic self-elimination, digging her own grave.

Both Tess and Adam are unlikeable for me still. Adam's diva bitchiness is so old. And Tess, like him, is very cliquey. At least with people like Dave and Lisa you know that they will acknowledge that Eve exists and is in the game.

Yes, I thought early on with the edit Matt was getting that he might be gone, but the way the episode panned out it obviously wasn't going to happen. I'm sick of Adam too. As for Dave's gamble, he probably had a better idea of the vote numbers than the edit portrayed.

I'll put this all in a spoiler tag but it's all about the latest ep:

Lisa played that perfectly, and tbh she (unwittingly) did Dave a huge favour by alerting him to Matt's duplicity, because she obviously still doesn't know they knew each other from school. I wonder how Dave feels watching the show now, seeing how Matt was holding out on him, and manipulating/using him? I want Lisa or Dave to win and I think they both improved their odds this ep.

So yes that was a good outcome.

I felt that was more Matt's fault than anything. Lisa alerted Dave, who then alerted Matt to the danger for him. Matt appeared to have the idol at tribal despite Lisa's plan to forget to bring it in a previous episode. I'm not sure what Dave's full plan was, maybe he was happy just flushing the idol even and getting Tess out would have still felt ok for him. He's in a strong position still as he can play an idol next tribal anyway, he could go all out to target who he thinks his biggest threat is next week.

Tess and Adam feel useless. Eve was better at challenges and fought at tribal, I just think she was better than Tess (even if she has a comedy section with a lizard). Tara seems to have had less of an edit than anyone left which may have been unfair on her.

Matt in the jury house has really been the big story recently, and whatever his motives have been. Themes around honour and integrity which dominated the first season seem to have rematerialised towards the end of this one, though as you approach the end I think it makes more sense to play even harder.

Back