Skip to main content

New Zealand Survivor

So let me get this straight:

Matt was playing Dave
Dave found out and got Matt voted out
Matt now throwing Dave under a bus for voting him out for playing him.

With friends like these...

I just hope like hell Tess doesn't win, but I doubt it can be Dave now, and Lisa probably doesn't have much support either. Please don't let it be a totally *meh* Tess win.

Matt didn't tell him about his idol and Dave told him about his own. I don't know how important that is, but we did hear Matt in an earlier confessional saying though he was friends with Dave he would cut him if needed. Matt also seems to forget that without Dave helping him he might not have even reached merge. In the jury he seemed to talk like he'd been let down by a friend, but while they knew each other sometime in the past I'm not sure they have been close recently.

Matt also seems to forget that without Dave helping him he might not have even reached merge.
That's my point, Matt is a jerk.

But yeah, it did come across from the start that they had previously been mates at school, but that was a while ago now. I said earlier that the producers shouldn't have let people who knew each other get cast together. At the moment it looks like it could have ruined Dave's game. But we'll find out on Sunday. Right now it's looking like Tess will win by default. I hope not.

Woohoo! Lisa won! But fuck you Matt for destroying Dave's game What a cunt.

That is all.

Great season - apart from that particular matter.

A couple of initial thoughts I had about the final tribal was that I was happy they had individual questions from the jury, so we heard from everyone in the episode and not the free debate style the US version tried. But I was unhappy with the 3 candidates speeches going on so much about their outside life commitments/difficulties, I like it being purely about the game than outside personal factors/crying.

Yeah I agree with that Starry. They should have allocated them a shorter time to speak in their spiels.

I was glad that (presenter) Matt quizzed (contestant) Matt about his role in outing Dave. But I think he perhaps could have framed it differently by asking Matt "if you were sitting here in the final 3 with Dave, would you have told the jury about your history?" because of course the answer would have to be "no" and it would have exposed him as a bitter hypocrite.

Anyway I am not unhappy with the ultimate result. And that's good because I hate the finales that leave you feeling gutted.

That's a very good point on Matt being in the final (either with or without Dave), wish someone had asked that. Whatever his answer would be I know what most people would think his real response would have been in those circumstances. If he said that he wouldn't have mentioned it then he may have tried to excuse that by saying that he wouldn't have been around the jury house feeling guilty around those making the decision.

Although I did feel earlier on that it was too unfair them knowing each other before I do think that aspect can be overplayed anyway. They hadn't been that close outside and in the game they did go their own separate ways eventually anyway, that ironically caused the secret to come out and made it an issue. It was really up to the others to not be as influenced by Dave and later Matt as they were, and some even noticed that they were together but didn't do much about it.

Although Lisa (as the winner) inevitably got credit for taking Matt out, Dave strictly did it, or maybe you could even say that Matt took Matt out (he should have kept closer to Dave, he still could have beaten him at the end). At the reunion they started off saying the Brad elimination was a Lisa move too, but as they talked about it Matt was obviously the person behind it.

Lisa was preferable as the winner to Tess of course but at the same time she wasn't either as big a character or as central to the story as Matt and Dave I would argue. A story they skipped at the reunion was Dave's immunity idol and another was Lisa's plan to forget to bring Matt's idol to tribal. The appeal to Dave was a desperate last ditch move which only worked because of Matt not keeping Dave informed.

Dave really should have been better prepared at the final tribal for the question about Matt. From what I heard Matt and Dave had agreed while in the game not to mention any previous connection they had, but if one of them went to jury they would just leave it up to themselves individually as to what to do. It would make sense to even make a prize money agreement as well (though that would have to kept secret I expect). That they seemed to leave things up in the air like that suggests they aren't as close as some made them out to me.

Dave really should have been better prepared at the final tribal for the question about Matt
I think he was gobsmacked that Matt had ratted him out. That obviously threw him, so yes, he was totally unprepared. I must search for some articles to find out more from him post-loss, to see what he said about it all.

I read some of the comments on the official FB page, so many people were furious at Matt. Quite a bit of support for Lisa's win, and a lesser number who (for some unfathomable reason) thought Tess should have won. But overall it is pretty clear most people thought Dave was robbed.

Great season though. Would have been nice if some of the others on here had watched!

These miscommunications between Dave and Matt at the end are just further indications to me that they don't know each other that well.

It's like they timed the Australian version to start up again just as this ended, so they must think there are cross-over viewers.

Yeah Dave was a bit naive really, it never occurred to him that Matt would throw him under the bus like that.

As for the timing, coincidental I would say - Ten would have had to have known TV2's scheduling and then timed Masterchef to conclude at exactly the right time. Although it's odd they chose to launch on Wed/Thu this week followed by four eps next week (and then Mon/Tue after that). Did they stretch out Masterchef, necessitating that weird catch up? I wonder.

So I was thinking a new season of Survivor NZ would have started by now but apparently it did not get renewed due to low ratings. Yes apparently I am a bit behind with this news.

I didn't know that either, the South African version is supposed to be starting imminently anyway.

What a shame though, I quite enjoyed Kiwi Survivor. Seems the locals didn't like it as much. Now stuck with another quasi-celebrity Australian Survivor.

I liked the second season, the first though just didn't have the gameplay I was looking for.

Back