Skip to main content

New Zealand Survivor

Also they repeatedly show them spraying on sunscreen. I'm sure US Survivor supplies it, but they never, ever show them applying it.

I wish it hadn't gone the way of the Australian one and had people going on about honour like it has. It didn't work in that version and it doesn't in this.

I did like that Barbs watched her reward video and didn't get all soppy and sentimental and just commented "I saw the horse so that was cool", as opposed to the Americans who are all blubbering after not seeing their friends and families for a few weeks.

Second season just started, though I haven't seen the premiere yet. Hopefully it's much better than the first season.
Oh I gave it a watch lol

It still suffers a bit from the general low budget nature of it but its actually pretty good. Its obvious they've learnt a lot from S1 and have made a lot of changes to make it an altogether better program

Always a bit early to judge a season on episode 1, but:

They got drinking water that didn't need to be boiled. Is that usual? I never pay much attention to these details but I thought that was the main driver for getting fire.

When Chani tribe didn't win flint they showed them standing around bemoaning not being able to eat the rice, whilst not trying to make fire (ok probably just an editing thing).

Also, Liam may be the one.tel dude.

NZ2_Liam_Hose.jpg

one-tel-dude.png

Liam is really annoying to me, the rest of the cast seem ok for now. The second reward challenge and the immunity were pretty good and not that obviously low budget. I wish they'd had a bit more strategy talk in the edit leading to tribal, but otherwise the edit seemed ok and covered quite a few. No time for sob stories which can waste edit time like in the latest US season.

The highlight for me may have been the exploding rocks, that's the funniest thing I've seen on Survivor for a while.

Water is an essential, there's no way people would go without it. They don't even have coconuts to drink from there. And flint is always given to the losing tribe at the first tribal, so that's not an issue for more than a couple of days. There's no way they could allow water issues at all even for that long though. I think there may have been wells/water containers on some Survivors before, the drier the location and the fewer fruit/vegetable water sources the more necessary possibly.

Last edited:
Apparently this season was originally supposed to be shot beachside on the west coast of Thailand but was moved north to the lake due to a typhoon that would've hugely disrupted the preproduction.

Apparently this season was originally supposed to be shot beachside on the west coast of Thailand but was moved north to the lake due to a typhoon that would've hugely disrupted the preproduction.
I actually like that it is islands in a lake. A bit of variety doesn't hurt at all.

Second episode up, if you don't want to be spoiled don't read further.

The first ep result I was happy with as it's nice to see an older person survive a bit longer in these kind of shows. The twist in this episode seemed badly done. Someone got a reward but the losing tribe member was able to gain that information as well, even that it was a clue to an idol. So that left the winner in a bad spot, they had to work with that person as they could just spill the beans that they had a clue to the other tribe. In theory this could have been a chance to build some connection across tribes, but there seemed too much suspicion for that. The losing guy ended up telling his tribe about the clue and that it was at the reward challenge, but also slipped in a lie that it couldn't be of use to them. I'm not sure about his strategy there. Instead of trying to work with the winner of the fire making challenge he hoped he could just take the idol but you'd expect the clue to be more available to the winning tribe (which it was). The elimination ended up being more about the medical situation of people on the tribe more than anything else, and the impulse to cut the older one did finally happen.

Bahahaha "I go camping a lot and I have a fire pit at home" - them's fighting words.

I assumed they'd vote out Marcia Brady though seeing as she'd been so sick, but no let's kick out the one that's over 30.

Downloaded the first episode of season 2 by accident the other day, so decided to give it a watch. Won't be watching any more - just couldn't get into it at all, though agree the setting on the lakes makes it rather unique.

They do need to lift their game. Blurting out that you have spotted something that is probably a clue to the HII is not recommended gameplay.

However,
not unexpectedly, Marcia was ultimately the one voted out. So it wasn't all bad.

What's the spoiler about?

The latest episode showed why I still think it's nearer the Australian version than the US, nobody pleading any case at tribal at all. Apart from that it was strange that there wasn't any kind of backup plan by Frankie until the walk to tribal when it was always clear that Eve might play the idol. I wasn't that surprised by how it played out, even though we heard the argument that keeping Frankie would keep the tribe strong I didn't think it actually made any sense. A shocking disparity in the immunity challenge, maybe they would have preferred a more immediate food reward than the fishing equipment, because it didn't look like they had energy to dive much. The outpost twist again seemed to try and create some kind of alliance between tribes, but there's so much distrust it just won't work.

I thought it was probably about the elimination but I thought I'd better check first. :D

I don't know The Brady Bunch I think but Frankie does feel like one of those who just looks similar to someone else, almost like she fits into a type. Which is unfair as I'm sure there's something individual about her, but that never came across in the edit.

Few little tweaks have improved this season. Only one longer episode a week instead of two shorter ones (with TC only every second one last time IIRC). No more shots of the survivors spraying themselves with sunscreen. And they are folding the votes in half properly this time around.

I don't care much for the one on one challenge things they are doing tho. Seems very contrived.

Back