Skip to main content

New Off Topic Thread ..... (Everyone: please be nice)

Mine too and with extras cover, almost free, so to speak.
I'm getting new glasses too! mine are multifocals ('cos I'm blind as a bat!!) .. got 40% off frames and a "free" pair of readers (although I actually got them for driving rather than reading as I tend to take my glasses off to read ... our health fund has its own dental clinic and eye clinic in Surry Hills. Whilst doing the dreaded selection of frames and asking husband's opinion (and ignoring it if it didn't match mine ;) lol) I picked up one set and said to him "Ohhh not these - I've picked the same frame as my sunglasses" ... then kept swapping around all the others ... until I made my choice ... then went to put my own back on and realised THEY were the ones I'd "tried" earlier and rejected ... DOH crimmy!!!

Walked around Barangaroo to see Sculpture at Barangaroo after my appointment last Saturday - it was raining on/off but regardless of that was seriously underwhelmed by the whole thing really ... think we're philistines but just kept thinking MEH ... lol

I think I will be able to write a good speech for the humorous contest in a couple of month's time. I just have to believe in myself.

I've had this stupid viral thing that seems to be going around at the moment. Spent today at home, mostly napping, but had a sudden burst of energy and decided now was a good time to rearrange the cacti and vacuum. Strangely domestic, I'll blame it on the viral thing!

Also, planning a two week trip around Tasmania. We went for a week last year, but there was far too much to see and we missed MONA and Port Arthur, so going longer for this time. Last time we went from Launceston, to Cradle Mountain, to Strahan and then Hobart. This time, we'll go from Launceston, to Cradle Mountain, to Hobart, to Bruny Island, to Port Arthur and then up the East Coast back to Launceston. So if anyone has any suggestions of things we should see or do, please let me know! We're mostly into day walks, wildlife, art, history, food (vegetarian though) and beer :).

This is my favourite photo from last year. Mushrooms growing on a tree near Strahan on the West Coast. I just take photos on my camera. I have a film camera I love and haven't gotten momentum to get a digital SLR, though film purchase and processing is less available than it used to be. I guess I am way behind the times, so any attempt at proper photography is on some kind of hiatus. I did study photography at Uni, but loved the mechanics of film and exposure and processing the most. Digital just doesn't have the same tactility.

11540883_10153468741323689_6969459784601862719_n.jpg

Last edited:
I've had this stupid viral thing that seems to be going around at the moment. Spent today at home, mostly napping, but had a sudden burst of energy and decided now was a good time to rearrange the cacti and vacuum. Strangely domestic, I'll blame it on the viral thing!

Also, planning a two week trip around Tasmania. We went for a week last year, but there was far too much to see and we missed MONA and Port Arthur, so going longer for this time. Last time we went from Launceston, to Cradle Mountain, to Strahan and then Hobart. This time, we'll go from Launceston, to Cradle Mountain, to Hobart, to Bruny Island, to Port Arthur and then up the East Coast back to Launceston. So if anyone has any suggestions of things we should see or do, please let me know! We're mostly into day walks, wildlife, art, history, food (vegetarian though) and beer :).

This is my favourite photo from last year. Mushrooms growing on a tree near Strahan on the West Coast. I just take photos on my camera. I have a film camera I love and haven't gotten momentum to get a digital SLR, though film purchase and processing is less available than it used to be. I guess I am way behind the times, so any attempt at proper photography is on some kind of hiatus. I did study photography at Uni, but loved the mechanics of film and exposure and processing the most. Digital just doesn't have the same tactility.

11540883_10153468741323689_6969459784601862719_n.jpg

Great photo. I hope you have a lovely time in Tasmania.

@twist are you looking for accommodation suggestions. It's a little while back now but when we went to Port Arthur we stayed in little cabins in a complex right next door. Cabins are placed beautifully amongst the bush and a bush walkway takes you right up to the edge of Port Arthur.

It seems to have gone upmarket since we were there but the simple log cabins are still there too. They were economical when we stayed but now seem to start around $135 per night.
http://stewartsbaylodge.com.au

HOLD UP!

I know I'm late to the party but can someone please explain to me what happened to the (beloved! and famous!) OTT thread?! I see mentions of bans being thrown around. Somebody fill a guy in! (PM's welcome! :p)

I like Tasmania, even though I haven't been there in like over a decade. But I still have nice memories of it. Things like listening to water flow in the Cataract Gorge, or walking in the park. The smell and sound of smog filling the air. I think I will always be a Launcestonian for the rest of my life in my heart.

not sure where to post for OT Chat in life anymore LOL OK - HI There LOL - I shall post in both hehe - Maybe I should have my own thread Hooleys Drama Thread! (I read I have them dramas somewhere)

Lots of people are having trouble with the boom gates at Pac fair. Yesterday a car smashed through one of them, and just last week a woman died after accidently going through a boom gate. Because of apparently it is hard to put the ticket in there i have not been since they introduced paid parking there so i don't know how hard it is so i'm just really taking the word of other people.

I was on the road today when I came to a road incident. There was a vehicle on the Left hand side with lights indicating go right like on a multiple lane road or a road with roadworks. On the right was a No Through Road and vehicles were coming from the opposite direction along the road with no problem. I knew left was also a No Through Road. So I went the same route as the cars coming in the opposite direction once they stopped. Then I was verbally abused for several minutes by a Road Worker once I got to the end of the incident area. I'm not sure what else I was supposed to do. Telepathically move my car around the site? Drive through peoples lawns and fences?

Back