Skip to main content

Neighbours Discussion Thread

There were stages I was hooked on the show, but I would easily get distracted to another show. It’s one of those shows you could easily fall back into if you were there to watch at the time. I was definitely more into heart break high of talking about Aussie drama shows. I swear I had a thing for Drazic from that show. But neighbours was good for the time slot it was in when I was home. The Libby and Drew storyline drew me in. Drew was dreamy. Did he comeback for the finale?

Paramount+ ;)

They have the entire year in true HD, watermark-free, and all the episodes are split individually as intended (not merged into the 40-60min long versions, as was aired on TV and currently on TenPlay).
I can’t rip then off there though. They are DRM protected sadly :(

This is my theory, based only on what we know and the photos/trailer, which I'm posting here purely for posterity and to see how much I get correct post-Thursday:
We'll likely get a tour of the houses, potentially with flashbacks and/or loaded with nostalgic references by some of the OG characters.

The penultimate scene will be set at the Kennedy house. We know Harold's History Book was damaged in recent episodes, and Levi and Freya mentioned that they're creating a Facebook page for "everybody who has lived on Ramsay St to upload photos and videos" to re-create it. There was a big TV screen off to the side in the photo of the cast on their final day of filming, so I had already suspected we'd get video messages from past characters in the finale (think the same way the 20th anniversary episode in 2005 did it via Annalise's doco), but I couldn't figure out a logical catalyst as to how they'd incorporate this without it being contrived. Now I understand they'll present the new digital/online version of the History Book to Harold... complete with a slideshow of past episodes and moments, as well as messages from multiple surviving past cast, including the big names (Holly, Delta, Margot, Natalie, etc).

We know the last scene is set on Ramsay St and will be a big celebration for Toadie and Melanie's wedding. I suspect Charlene and Scott will turn up in the closing moments, likely having bought their old home back, while everyone else is inside at Number 28. They'll be involved in the final scene as well, but from a distance (potentially watching on from the balcony of Number 24 or something), as they obviously weren't physically there when the scene was filmed. We've also heard that Susan narrates the closing moments, so I suspect the Kennedy's are staying on Ramsay St while other residents (Chloe, Terese, Paul, David/Aaron) plan to move away. Susan watches on and reflects on the past and future of her community...

...then, my total guess for the big kicker is a slow pan of all the present characters celebrating... before we also see deceased cast members (Madge, Hendrix, Sonya, Stingray, Finn, etc) also watching on sentimentally in the background as well.

I'm sure we'll get the original theme song at some point, too. Especially since they've removed the opening from all of this week's episodes, in the lead up to Thursday.

The closing moments will probably feature a birds eye view of the street and/or the Ramsay St sign.
I was so close, if not correct, with so many of my guesses!

I enjoyed the episode. Give Jackie, Annie and Guy all of the awards!! I’d have changed a couple things about the finale though. I wasn’t really a fan of the video messages, or rather that it was so centric to Toadie. And even then, it didn’t include enough alumni. Where was Dee? His brothers? Where were his cousins - the infamous Timmins’? (They’d definitely have contributed if asked, especially Damien Bodie. And on that, why not offer to include Stingray as a ghost watching Toadie during that last montage as well?) I can understand why the other Rebecchi’s weren’t in it though (Sharon is separating herself from Dipi and the show - she is currently cast in the next season of The Block, but also filed the complaints against Collette Mann which led to Mann fired from Neighbours, so there’s a bit of bad blood there).

But otherwise it was a very wholesome finale. Did I sob loudly and hysterically? Yes. Have I watched the ending several times since, and still cried every single time? Yes.

Honestly, it’s just surreal that it’s over. I kept thinking “I can’t believe that’s it”. It’s so weird to think that something that has literally been around my entire life just doesn’t exist anymore.

As someone who hadn't watched Neighbours in over 20 years, but does remember the early days of Toadie, my biggest question was why veterans like Scott and Charlene, Mike, Beth, Flick, Des and others who left before he even arrived (give or take cameo returns) would come back or send messages for his wedding? Were they all there for Melanie (a relatively incidental character in the early years)?

Surely only something like the (real) death of Harold or Susan would be enough to reunite the street like that.

As someone who hadn't watched Neighbours in over 20 years, but does remember the early days of Toadie, my biggest question was why veterans like Scott and Charlene, Mike, Beth, Flick, Des and others who left before he even arrived (give or take cameo returns) would come back or send messages for his wedding?
They didn’t?

The video messages only came from Libby, Billy, Steph, Donna, Beth, Flick, Nina, Sky, Naomi and most of the “House of Trouser” boys Stuart, Lance and Tad - characters entirely associated with Toadie - plus two for Melanie (Joe and Shazza). Beth is the exception as she wasn’t around for either era, but this was addressed comedically (although her connection to Ned was acknowledged).

All the other returnees came back as part of completely separate storylines and had nothing to do with the wedding.

On the whole they did themselves proud. A bit too heavy on the returnees perhaps, and Kylie and Jason as underwhelming as I expected, whilst the everyone moving then not was a bit ridiculous, but on the whole it was well done, especially the final few minutes.

They didn’t?

The video messages only came from Libby, Billy, Steph, Donna, Beth, Flick, Nina, Sky, Naomi and most of the “House of Trouser” boys Stuart, Lance and Tad - characters entirely associated with Toadie - plus two for Melanie (Joe and Shazza). Beth is the exception as she wasn’t around for either era, but this was addressed comedically (although her connection to Ned was acknowledged).

All the other returnees came back as part of completely separate storylines and had nothing to do with the wedding.
Thanks.

I guess the video messages make sense as they were mostly people who knew Toadie. It was the return of the veterans en masse that confused me, I didn't realise that was unrelated to the wedding.

I was surprised to see Jane was already there as I was unaware that she had recently returned.
Melanie's return had also passed me by.

Thanks.

I guess the video messages make sense as they were mostly people who knew Toadie. It was the return of the veterans en masse that confused me, I didn't realise that was unrelated to the wedding.

I was surprised to see Jane was already there as I was unaware that she had recently returned.
Melanie's return had also passed me by.
Yes. Jane, Clive and Mel have all been back full-time for 3-4 years now. Des has been coming back and forth in varying capacities for a while, too. I enjoy that all this helped make the other returning characters seem a little more organic.

Jason Herbison the EP knew what he was doing when he took over a few years ago, and NO ONE is more qualified to have concluded the series than him. He did a lot of good when he took on the show, and cares for and respects the history that came along with it.

On the whole they did themselves proud. A bit too heavy on the returnees perhaps, and Kylie and Jason as underwhelming as I expected, whilst the everyone moving then not was a bit ridiculous, but on the whole it was well done, especially the final few minutes.
I honestly wish everyone had moved away! Once that decision was made, I accepted it. But then for them all, bar one, to suddenly change their minds at the last minute was a bit silly. lol

There were stages I was hooked on the show, but I would easily get distracted to another show. It’s one of those shows you could easily fall back into if you were there to watch at the time. I was definitely more into heart break high of talking about Aussie drama shows. I swear I had a thing for Drazic from that show. But neighbours was good for the time slot it was in when I was home. The Libby and Drew storyline drew me in. Drew was dreamy. Did he comeback for the finale?
*GhostDrew didn't come back for the finale (he died remember?) but we got *GhostMadge, *GhostDoug, *GhostSonya, *GhostFinn and *GhostHendrix.

The finale was everything I could have wished for. I was a blubbering mess in the last 10 minutes of the show. So happy Jane and Mike got a happy ever after. 😊

Only gripe was Kylie Minogue only spoke 5 damn words! 😤

Last edited:
Yes like other members have mentioned here I used to sometimes watch this show back in the mid to late 1990's. I once did see back in those days the actor that plays "Libby" (Kym Valentine) in Neighbours at a local shopping centre. I was with a mate of mine and back in those days you were still allowed to smoke in the shopping centres...lol. Anyway I said to my mate "hey isn't that girl from Neighbours?". Anyway yes it was "Libby" butting out her cigarette before entering the local "Just Jeans" store there to do some shopping...lol

Another Neighbours actor I saw back in those days was "Joel" (Daniel Macpherson). He was riding a bike crossing the road directly in front of my car one morning...lol

Anyway those are the only 2 times I have crossed paths with some of the Neighbours cast from the mid to late 1990's...lol

They have been promoting these last few shows of Neighbours so much now on channel 10 it's not funny. They are using this song for the promo's. It's sort of a sad song really... Cheers!

Currently binge watching my 3 DVD set of "Neighbours, the iconic episodes", that I had signed by Stefan Dennis (Paul Robinson) at a fan meet and greet.

Stefan was super friendly and lovely to chat with. I had my photo taken with him as well. 😊

Nat Blair (Carmella Cammeniti) and Dan O'Connor (Ned Parker) were there also.

Last edited:
Currently binge watching my 3 DVD set of "Neighbours, the iconic episodes", that I had signed by Stefan Dennis (Paul Robinson) at a fan meet and greet.

Stefan was super friendly and lovely to chat with. I had my photo taken with him as well. 😊

Nat Blair (Carmella Cammeniti) and Dan O'Connor (Ned Parker) were there also.

Cool, do you remember his hit song? lol

Seriously though I hope that channel 10 does start to show classic Neighbours from the days of when it started right through all the episodes. Lately I have been watching alot more of the older shows that I didn't really get to watch all that much when I was younger.

I mean if channel 7 can show re-runs of "Sons And Daughters" on channel 72 on weekday afternoons, (yes sadly I have sometimes watched a few of these in the afternoon, I love watching how things used to be back in those days..lol) then i'd have no problems watching re-runs of classic Neighbours from the 1980's right through to the 1990's and so on. Cheers! :D

Cool, do you remember his hit song? lol

Seriously though I hope that channel 10 does start to show classic Neighbours from the days of when it started right through all the episodes. Lately I have been watching alot more of the older shows that I didn't really get to watch all that much when I was younger.

I mean if channel 7 can show re-runs of "Sons And Daughters" on channel 72 on weekday afternoons, (yes sadly I have sometimes watched a few of these in the afternoon, I love watching how things used to be back in those days..lol) then i'd have no problems watching re-runs of classic Neighbours from the 1980's right through to the 1990's and so on. Cheers! :D
Hahahaha, I definitely know this song by Stefan, and I actually have a PVR compilation of all the Neighbours stars who brought out music over the years. Ch10 had a video hits tribute to Neighbours.

"Sons and Daughters" was my favourite show prior to Neighbours and Ch10 definitely need to show re-runs of old Neighbours. I'd rewatch it. 📺😁

Back