Skip to main content

Neighbours Discussion Thread

Ooh I know, I still watch it, however woeful it is. It's just a habit.
Gunna have to find something else 😯

I haven't watched it in many years. (stopped some time in the 90's) I was always working when it was on and it was too hard to keep up with. But I am sad to hear of its demise. I know this is a reality tv form but I do feel like there is an over representation of reality tv (especially bad reality tv) to other types of tv being made and broadcast on tv anymore. A little diversity in viewing is not a bad thing.

The axing news has kind of revealed most people who have fond memories of it haven't actually watched it since the 90s. Absolutely agree with you about Australian TV being reality TV at the expense of other genres and commercial TV in Australia has been completely left behind as the rest of the world enjoyed a golden era of drama over the last few years, finding ways and funding mechanisms to compete with the likes of Netflix and Amazon - here in the UK I don't think BBC drama has ever been stronger, ITV have completely changed their broadcast model to focus more on 4-part dramas airing across a single week rather than just multiple weekly drama series and C5, the broadcaster of Neighbours, have found success with a similar model in a couple of years after a couple of decades not really airing anything of significance. It's a model that 10 should perhaps be looking at themselves.

Eastenders here I come. I'll now watch nightly than binge watch.
I've still been watching Neighbours and will miss it in a habit sort of way.

Yes like other members have mentioned here I used to sometimes watch this show back in the mid to late 1990's. I once did see back in those days the actor that plays "Libby" (Kym Valentine) in Neighbours at a local shopping centre. I was with a mate of mine and back in those days you were still allowed to smoke in the shopping centres...lol. Anyway I said to my mate "hey isn't that girl from Neighbours?". Anyway yes it was "Libby" butting out her cigarette before entering the local "Just Jeans" store there to do some shopping...lol

Another Neighbours actor I saw back in those days was "Joel" (Daniel Macpherson). He was riding a bike crossing the road directly in front of my car one morning...lol

Anyway those are the only 2 times I have crossed paths with some of the Neighbours cast from the mid to late 1990's...lol

They have been promoting these last few shows of Neighbours so much now on channel 10 it's not funny. They are using this song for the promo's. It's sort of a sad song really... Cheers!

Last edited:
I've been in full mourning over the past fortnight. Have recently finished a binge of over 100 classic episodes from 1985 through to present - a "fast-tracked recap of Neighbours", as I like to call it - all before Thursday... when I'm going to be an absolute mess. This show has been such a constant in my life. I remember starting to watch it properly around 2000/2001, and admittedly while I stopped watching between 2011-2016, I've otherwise seen virtually every single episode since. My connection with this and Big Brother is that I'd always watch Neighbours at 6:30pm before Big Brother would start at 7:00pm all throughout the 2000s on Ten.

Such a huge loss for our TV and entertainment industry, too.

Neighbours really got undervalued over the last few years. Their representation of society may have earned the criticism at times, but for the most part they really made an effort to integrate so many minority groups and cast Australians that literally don't get shown on screens often here, if at all. Plus, their writing since about 2019 has been top notch. I've really enjoyed a lot of the storylines - and one thing I'll stand by is that they present death and grief really well. The performances surrounding recent deaths like Sonya, Faye, etc, have been tear-jerking.

I only wish they hadn't revealed SO much about the finale already. I feel like we/I know exactly what those final scenes are going to look like, and whose returning, before we get to see it.

This is my theory, based only on what we know and the photos/trailer, which I'm posting here purely for posterity and to see how much I get correct post-Thursday:
We'll likely get a tour of the houses, potentially with flashbacks and/or loaded with nostalgic references by some of the OG characters.

The penultimate scene will be set at the Kennedy house. We know Harold's History Book was damaged in recent episodes, and Levi and Freya mentioned that they're creating a Facebook page for "everybody who has lived on Ramsay St to upload photos and videos" to re-create it. There was a big TV screen off to the side in the photo of the cast on their final day of filming, so I had already suspected we'd get video messages from past characters in the finale (think the same way the 20th anniversary episode in 2005 did it via Annalise's doco), but I couldn't figure out a logical catalyst as to how they'd incorporate this without it being contrived. Now I understand they'll present the new digital/online version of the History Book to Harold... complete with a slideshow of past episodes and moments, as well as messages from multiple surviving past cast, including the big names (Holly, Delta, Margot, Natalie, etc).

We know the last scene is set on Ramsay St and will be a big celebration for Toadie and Melanie's wedding. I suspect Charlene and Scott will turn up in the closing moments, likely having bought their old home back, while everyone else is inside at Number 28. They'll be involved in the final scene as well, but from a distance (potentially watching on from the balcony of Number 24 or something), as they obviously weren't physically there when the scene was filmed. We've also heard that Susan narrates the closing moments, so I suspect the Kennedy's are staying on Ramsay St while other residents (Chloe, Terese, Paul, David/Aaron) plan to move away. Susan watches on and reflects on the past and future of her community...

...then, my total guess for the big kicker is a slow pan of all the present characters celebrating... before we also see deceased cast members (Madge, Hendrix, Sonya, Stingray, Finn, etc) also watching on sentimentally in the background as well.

I'm sure we'll get the original theme song at some point, too. Especially since they've removed the opening from all of this week's episodes, in the lead up to Thursday.

The closing moments will probably feature a birds eye view of the street and/or the Ramsay St sign.

It's gonna be a sad week.

Last edited:
I don't think I've seen a full episode ever but nevertheless I will be sorry to see it go. It meant so much to so many people and helped launch some great careers. It will leave a big hole in Australian TV.

I only started watching in the late 90's when my stepson was watching it. I watched one episode with him, when Libby was at School and something was going on between her and Luke Hancock, and that was it. I had to see what happened next and found myself recording it, and I've been watching ever since.

Last edited:
Who do you think is in the coffin?
My thoughts at first was Paul, but I'm doubting that now. My second thought was Hendrix, but he's already gone.
Will Susan finally shoot Karl?

Who do you think is in the coffin?
My thoughts at first was Paul, but I'm doubting that now. My second thought was Hendrix, but he's already gone.
I think you’re referring to the general pre-2022 season promo? That was Hendrix, earlier this year.

No more deaths. Only 9 episodes to go*.
*3 per night

I've never exactly been a big fan but it's always been there - watched it growing up but not religiously and always gravitated more to Home and Away and stuck with that longer. Still been watchable enough though to dip in and out of from time to time.

There is rarely a perfect way to end a TV show, especially one that has run as long as Neighbours has, but I really do wish they'd taken a "less is more" approach. Kept the returnees down to key, relevant characters. Mal & Izzy coming back has felt so natural as if it could have happened anyway, but Harold returning a month out from the end and being put into scenes he probably has no place being in doesn't do the character or the show any favours IMO. The residents suddenly discovering zoom just feels largely unnecessary too.

Most of all though I feel for the current cast who are about to be out of work and would benefit far more from the last few weeks really building up their showreel rather than being sidelined for people who haven't appeared on the show for 20-30 years.

I haven't watched it since Natalie Imbruglia was in it.
I saw a clip featuring Annie Jones. Did they bring her back for the end or has she been back for awhile?
It would be nice if Plain Jane Superbrain and Mike Young were reunited.

I've been in full mourning over the past fortnight. Have recently finished a binge of over 100 classic episodes from 1985 through to present - a "fast-tracked recap of Neighbours", as I like to call it - all before Thursday... when I'm going to be an absolute mess. This show has been such a constant in my life. I remember starting to watch it properly around 2000/2001, and admittedly while I stopped watching between 2011-2016, I've otherwise seen virtually every single episode since. My connection with this and Big Brother is that I'd always watch Neighbours at 6:30pm before Big Brother would start at 7:00pm all throughout the 2000s on Ten.

Is it just me or did other people also watch Neighbours more when it was on the old normal channel 10 at 6:30pm? I know I certainly did and I also probably also used to tune in and watch Neighbours before BB on channel 10. I think it also didn't help this show when it shifted from the normal channel over to channel 11 or whatever channel it's on now. I think in terms of all these new digital tv channels sometimes more is not always better in this case.

Also I can't understand what i've been reading in the news about this show? Most of the funding for this show was coming from the UK channel that no longer wants to broadcast this Australian show over there so they can focus more on their own local tv shows? So I guess channel 10 here doesn't want to pay for this local content out of it's own pocket?

I thought it was law that the local tv stations here had to produce so much local content in order to be a local broadcaster? Anyway I noticed that the Victorian government assists with the "Hunted" tv show, then why doesn't our local governments try and step in and support our local tv industry then? I was watching a documentary the other day on the ABC about the ending of this show and all the people and employees that all put this show together and they will all be out of a job really soon. Doesn't the government always talk about trying to retain jobs and also they keep saying they want to make more things here in Australia? Well why don't they start with trying to keep our local tv industry alive and keep some of these people employed and keep these shows in business?

Cheers!

Hunted showcases Victoria in a way Neighbours hasn't in 37 years.

Generally government funding is for new projects which then have a chance to succeed without further government funding. I don't think they could justify funding a project which is essentially no longer commercially viable.

Back