Skip to main content

MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites

It's a shame Ali went.
I was worried for Billie too. Not the quality, but the amount of curry leaf as the Hero.

The other three dishes looked disgusting in my opinion.
I wouldn't even feed them to my fish, and they love their greens.

I remember them but I never had one. People I know who did have one said they dried meat out too much...dunno.

Hmmm dunno I guess they worked so well at dripping the fats away from the meats that it may make them a little dryer than say when you cook meat or sausages in a pan or even on a Barbeque. Because the wire basket that holds the meat tends to squeeze onto the meat especially on the snags and it may actually make them leak more of the fats in them while cooking. So it's probably a tad healthier being a little less fatty in one of these grillers than your conventional cooking methods.

Which reminds me in the later years it seemed everyone was purchasing those "George Foreman" grillers. I had one of these and I used to use it quite a fair bit to sometimes quickly cook some onions and snags after work. They weren't bad but they seem to get really dirty and all the fats just drip all around the base and go everywhere, then you have to clean all the stuck on crusty bits from in the griller lines usually one line at a time that used to annoy me with these grillers. Also after a few years the non stick surface peels away then you just end up eating the non stick painted surface with your meals if you keep using it...lol. That never happens with the old Sunbeam vertical griller, the wire basket is made of stainless steel, they were made to last a lifetime...lol

Cheers!

Hmmm dunno I guess they worked so well at dripping the fats away from the meats that it may make them a little dryer than say when you cook meat or sausages in a pan or even on a Barbeque. Because the wire basket that holds the meat tends to squeeze onto the meat especially on the snags and it may actually make them leak more of the fats in them while cooking. So it's probably a tad healthier being a little less fatty in one of these grillers than your conventional cooking methods.

Which reminds me in the later years it seemed everyone was purchasing those "George Foreman" grillers. I had one of these and I used to use it quite a fair bit to sometimes quickly cook some onions and snags after work. They weren't bad but they seem to get really dirty and all the fats just drip all around the base and go everywhere, then you have to clean all the stuck on crusty bits from in the griller lines usually one line at a time that used to annoy me with these grillers. Also after a few years the non stick surface peels away then you just end up eating the non stick painted surface with your meals if you keep using it...lol. That never happens with the old Sunbeam vertical griller, the wire basket is made of stainless steel, they were made to last a lifetime...lol

Cheers!
I was thinking about the George Forman one when you posted the original. (I nearly wrote George Formby😂, just a slight difference! )
Sounds like too much hard work cleaning.
Was the Sunbeam's "run off" any better?

My dad loves a George Foreman, but the rest of us find it dries out the meat too much, and prefer it cooked in a pan, roasted, barbecued or grilled.
Sausages and chops aren't great air-fried either as you get the same dryness.
And yes, lots of fat comes out of the George Foreman.

I was thinking about the George Forman one when you posted the original. (I nearly wrote George Formby😂, just a slight difference! )
Sounds like too much hard work cleaning.
Was the Sunbeam's "run off" any better?

Well I think the Sunbeam was a bit easier to clean as it's just a thin wire grill that holds the meat, you can brush over the whole thing a few times with a sponge and it would clean real easy. The Sunbeam also had a larger drip tray at the bottom which I guess would take alot more fats and oils to fill up before you needed to clean it up. The bottom tray on the Sunbeam was like an aluminium tray with a plastic handle and an aluminium cover plate on top. The whole tray just slides out the side from the bottom whenever you needed to give it a clean. I don't recall having to clean up the fats tray on the Sunbeam as much as I did with the George Foreman which I used to clean after every use.

I didn't get to watch the full show last night, but I did see today that Matt went. That's a shame, but he had a good run.

Dan was again a surprise! Seems he follows instructions really well but also has instinctive reactions.

I thought the food tonight was beyond ridiculous.
I'd rather see them create clever dishes that a normal person could possibly hope to emulate one day, or at least something delicious to eat.

Instead we get a whole concept of Van Gogh inspired forest floors, complete with burnt stuff, dirt, twigs, leaves, red-raw meat, pea juice (!!!) and best of all, mushroom ice cream.

I also feel Tommy's immunity was diminished by making him wait until an entire team joined him, rather than the usual four.

That was a strange episode with a strange theme.
Totally agree Meglos, where are the great dishes people like us can attempt to make if we like the look of them.
That's one reason I've always watched it. For tips and ideas in my own kitchen.
And like I said at the beginning of this thread re Julie. She was of the season when they were every day cooks, not haute cuisine experts!

Back