Skip to main content

MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites

Chicken did look a lot better than the lamb...and I can't believe I'm saying that as I'm not really a fan of chicken.

Mussels hmmm...never had whitebait and don't really know what it is...not Victorian? BUT they were at Werribee Manor so it must be?
I've never had mussels or whitebait, nor even seen them for sale anywhere.
But then I don't eat at 'bourgie' castles, LOL.

The right mussels cooked in a nice rich sauce are nice, otherwise pretty ho-hum.
I've had whiteboard at a fancy schmancy restaurant as a entree years ago. From memory it was nice. All the little eyes are a bit off putting 😂

Last edited:
Watching last night's episode now.
I bought packaged mussels like they're using from woolies recently, and they were tiny and hardly worth cooking.
But, on my birthday, as restaurants still weren't opening coz of covid this year, I made mussels Napolitana. We bought fresh New Zealand green lipped mussels from the local seafood shop, and they were good!
Piddly pre packed ones aren't worth the trouble, as are big beardy ones.
And it was whitebait fritters we had.

Last edited:
I see where the cat food reference came from. Each dish looks like it's slipped out of a can of Dine!
Thank goodness for fast forward. I skipped most of this episode!

Watching last night's episode now.
I bought packaged mussels like they're using from woolies recently, and they were tiny and hardly worth cooking.
But, on my birthday, as restaurants still weren't opening coz of covid this year, I made mussels Napolitana. We bought fresh New Zealand green lipped mussels from the local seafood shop, and they were good!
Piddly pre packed ones aren't worth the trouble, as are big beardy ones.
And it was whitebait fritters we had.
Mussels Napolitana sounds yum! I've only ever had mussels as part of another dish...like in a paella. I used to buy marinated mussels for my friend from our local fish shop at the beach and he said they were delicious. I never tried them though...don't know why.

Mussels Napolitana sounds yum! I've only ever had mussels as part of another dish...like in a paella. I used to buy marinated mussels for my friend from our local fish shop at the beach and he said they were delicious. I never tried them though...don't know why.
I'm not a big fan. The little Italian restaurant up the road from us does an amazing bowl of mussels Napolitana. Really fresh and with toasted garlic bread. They're not on the menu but if you know about them, you order them when you book in advance. Really special.
And a Thai place used yo do amazing chilli mussels. I still think they're hit and miss.

Last edited:
If you want something interesting to read, Google jainism and what food they can eat. Amazing re harm to microbes and wee insects and plants!
It takes vegan and vegetarian to a whole new level , but interesting, if not impossible unless totally committed and devout.

Last edited:
Normal food tonight.
Cheese and bacon balls would be perfect but I don't like corn.
Deep fried lobster would also be nice if cooked correctly.
I must remember for when I cook mine that 5-6 minutes is a long time.

Air fryer challenge! I LOVE my air fryer! I use it for nearly everything from "boiled" eggs to eye fillet steak. Hope they provide some more inspiration.

Unfortunately, no tips from any of them. Chicken been there done that heaps of times...veggies same...nothing like a medley of potato, sweet potato, red and green capsicum and red onion seasoned with paprika, pepper, salt and a dash of olive oil. Yum! BEST oven roasted/fried veggies ever!

Ali's was different and looked good but I don't think I'll be trying it.

Normal food tonight.
Cheese and bacon balls would be perfect but I don't like corn.
Deep fried lobster would also be nice if cooked correctly.
I must remember for when I cook mine that 5-6 minutes is a long time.
At the end of the day I would've preferred to eat the cheese and bacon balls from the three.

I LOVE a well cooked lobster...so yeah Meglos watch your time and as Feb has mentioned Google the time for frozen tails for whichever cooking method you choose.

I just watched the end of tonight's episode and I think it was probably the best part? Deep fried food? LOL! ;)

Does anyone else here remember or used to use a good old "Vertical Griller"?

I do remember many years ago it must have been season 2 of Masterchef when "Sunbeam" was sponsoring the show back then I started a thread on the old MC forums for Sunbeam to "Re-Release the Vertical Griller"...LOL! Yes it was good for a laugh and it also got some members talking about their memories of having and using these old things...lol :D

I still have the old Sunbeam vertical griller out the back and it hasn't been used for a few years now. But back when I was younger I would use it quite alot to cook simple everyday things like sausages, chops, and sometimes fish etc. Not only are these things from the 1970's they were also quite healthy as most of the fats would all drip away from the food down to the bottom while it was cooking.

I'm sure many people remember them and who knows how many are still probably stashed away in the back of a cupboard or a backyard shed or garage somewhere...lol. I have a couple of spare ones out in the shed and I even picked up a NOS "New Old Stock" Sunbeam vertical griller about 10 years ago from ebay! LOL!

Anyway I am still waiting for the day when Masterchef Australia might have a "Vertical Griller" challenge! LOL! Cheers! (I think i'll be waiting a long time for that to ever happen...LOL!)

1653585921368.png

^^^ I remember them now I see a picture of one. I didn't have one. I don't have an air fryer either, but I'm hearing everyone talking about them, and they love them.
My slow cooker has always been my favourite appliance, and my sandwich press.

Last edited:
Back