Skip to main content

MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites

^^^ I remember them now I see a picture of one. I didn't have one. I don't have an air fryer either, but I'm hearing everyone talking about them, and they love them.
My slow cooker has always been my favourite appliance, and my sandwich press.

Ok gees I thought those old vertical grillers were an aussie household staple item from the 1970's right through to the 1980's...lol. Those old Sunbeam beasts were made locally here in Australia and yes they were built to last. My one from the 1970's still works to this day unlike many other modern appliances.

I also don't have an air fryer but from what i'm hearing here it seems like they are a good thing. The only thing that sits in my mind was from a few years ago they prepared a few potato chips in an air fryer and some were cooked in a deep fryer. It was shown live on the Today show on nine and they asked Karl which chip tasted better. Yep you guessed it he said the deep fried chip was the best tasting chip! LOL!

Cheers!

Ok gees I thought those old vertical grillers were an aussie household staple item from the 1970's right through to the 1980's...lol. Those old Sunbeam beasts were made locally here in Australia and yes they were built to last. My one from the 1970's still works to this day unlike many other modern appliances.
I wasn't here in 1970, I migrated out here in 1980, so still wouldn't have been that fancy in the kitchen at that age. I had discovered the slow cooker at that time.
I also don't have an air fryer but from what i'm hearing here it seems like they are a good thing. The only thing that sits in my mind was from a few years ago they prepared a few potato chips in an air fryer and some were cooked in a deep fryer. It was shown live on the Today show on nine and they asked Karl which chip tasted better. Yep you guessed it he said the deep fried chip was the best tasting chip! LOL!
Yes, I still don't think you can beat a good old fat fried chip!

I just watched the end of tonight's episode and I think it was probably the best part? Deep fried food? LOL! ;)

Does anyone else here remember or used to use a good old "Vertical Griller"?

I do remember many years ago it must have been season 2 of Masterchef when "Sunbeam" was sponsoring the show back then I started a thread on the old MC forums for Sunbeam to "Re-Release the Vertical Griller"...LOL! Yes it was good for a laugh and it also got some members talking about their memories of having and using these old things...lol :D

I still have the old Sunbeam vertical griller out the back and it hasn't been used for a few years now. But back when I was younger I would use it quite alot to cook simple everyday things like sausages, chops, and sometimes fish etc. Not only are these things from the 1970's they were also quite healthy as most of the fats would all drip away from the food down to the bottom while it was cooking.

I'm sure many people remember them and who knows how many are still probably stashed away in the back of a cupboard or a backyard shed or garage somewhere...lol. I have a couple of spare ones out in the shed and I even picked up a NOS "New Old Stock" Sunbeam vertical griller about 10 years ago from ebay! LOL!

Anyway I am still waiting for the day when Masterchef Australia might have a "Vertical Griller" challenge! LOL! Cheers! (I think i'll be waiting a long time for that to ever happen...LOL!)

View attachment 57992
I remember them but I never had one. People I know who did have one said they dried meat out too much...dunno.

A lot more going on tonight.
Ali again has got me interested.
Does your partner eat haggis? My m-i-l used to make it for the Highland Ball up here where it was "piped" in and then "addressed" but I refused to eat it.

Does your partner eat haggis? My m-i-l used to make it for the Highland Ball up here where it was "piped" in and then "addressed" but I refused to eat it.
He has in the past. He doesn't eat meat either.
We both had it years ago pre veggie days, and it's nice fried with breakfast.
That's funny, you refused to eat it 😅

He has in the past. He doesn't eat meat either.
We both had it years ago pre veggie days, and it's nice fried with breakfast.
That's funny, you refused to eat it 😅
I think the sheep's stomach got to me...and then the other offal. Just nah, couldn't do it.

Back