Skip to main content

Masterchef 2016

MasterChef does have some seriously funny editing moments. Will never forget when one time they all had to go down to the Sydney harbour to cook. They are all stood there then they turn around and they all have this OMG face.. SURPRISE.. out of nowhere is a MASSIVE cruise ship they have to cook on. Like it just crept in behind them... haha.. so funny. Can't wait to spot those kind of moments this year.

I love Gogglebox but last nights episode got me so wound up I was practically shaking my fist at the telly. How very DARE Wayne say Whitney Houston was more scullery maid than queen. OMFG!! Wash your mouth out!!!

...I love the Catherine Tate reference there shaydee... funny as!... cheers.

I love Gogglebox but last nights episode got me so wound up I was practically shaking my fist at the telly. How very DARE Wayne say Whitney Houston was more scullery maid than queen. OMFG!! Wash your mouth out!!!
Oh yeah what a tool Wayne can be at times.

Anastasia's catchphrase "Shut up malaka" came to mind when he said that about Whitney.

Jerk:mooning:

MasterChef does have some seriously funny editing moments. Will never forget when one time they all had to go down to the Sydney harbour to cook. They are all stood there then they turn around and they all have this OMG face.. SURPRISE.. out of nowhere is a MASSIVE cruise ship they have to cook on. Like it just crept in behind them... haha.. so funny. Can't wait to spot those kind of moments this year.
Hell yes this will fun to look out for the surprise moments on the show. Thanks for that reminder about the cruise ship :D

It's kind of weird the way Tom sits there slagging off fat people, with Wayne right next to him.
It always strikes me as odd the way these people use cushions. A lot of them cover themselves with cushions, especially over the crotch area, is that something people actually do while watching tv?

EDIT : apologies non Gogglebox viewers for veering off topic, forgot where I was for a moment.

It's kind of weird the way Tom sits there slagging off fat people, with Wayne right next to him.
It always strikes me as odd the way these people use cushions. A lot of them cover themselves with cushions, especially over the crotch area, is that something people actually do while watching tv?

EDIT : apologies non Gogglebox viewers for veering off topic, forgot where I was for a moment.

I did when I was bigger. Self conscious perhaps. I noticed Wayne surrounding himself with cushions last night for the first time.

...did you ever wonder what happened to Rose and other ex-contestants on past seasons of Masterchef?... now is your chance to find out... from this website below... cheers.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...w/news-story/4266208c73073af5b013e3f8b453741d

What happens when the MasterChef cameras stop rolling? We look at where some of the show’s contestants are now

April 30, 2016 12:00am
Tiffany DunkNational TV EditorNews Corp Australia Network

REYNOLD Poernomo had his head down and was concentrating on getting out a batch of intricate desserts when a person calling his name sent an involuntary shiver down his spine.

“I was really busy and all of a sudden I hear Matt Preston say, ‘Reynold,’” he recalls of the déjà vu moment. “But it was actually a good surprise to see him.”

Season seven’s dessert king Poernomo has joined the growing list of MasterChef Australia alumni to open their own restaurant in the wake of the show.

KOI Dessert Bar in Sydney’s Chippendale has quickly formed fans both for the desserts on offer and for the novelty of watching Poernomo himself creating them in the front of house kitchen.

Having opened their doors on January 1st this year, Poernomo says that while business may be booming, he’s conscious of not relying on the MasterChef afterglow to sustain the momentum.

“I’m not a trained chef, I’m still a cook, an amateur cook,” he says.

“People come in and expect that kind of top end (MasterChef) experience and it’s daunting to have that expectation because I don’t want to let anyone down.”

9e733dd6fe86d6b6d9656e3a1bd372c7

Stopping work to sign autographs is part of Reynold Poernomo’s regular day in the kitchen. Picture: John Appleyard

It’s a sentiment echoed by all former contestants who’ve gone on to open their own eateries.

MasterChef can be seen as both a blessing and a curse for a new restaurant owner. Just like X Factor contestants are accused by people within the music industry of not doing the hard yards, so too are the cooking shows’ contestants by those who’ve spent years slaving away in industrial kitchens.

Having opened the doors of Andre’s Cucina & Polenta Bar six years ago in Adelaide, season one contestant Andre Ursini says there was an expectation he’d fail.

9facb464018a60c912026ad7bbd3c497

Prepare for the critics, says Andre Ursini. Picture: Mike Burton

“You’ve got an industry that people are brought up in and trained in and then here comes someone off a national TV show who goes, ‘I can run a restaurant’,” he says.

“I’ve copped it all. And it took a good two years to hone those skills. But now we’re six years under the belt and doing great.”

For fellow Adelaide former contestant Rose Adams, that pressure was taken off as she opened her cafe, The Middle Store, three weeks before appearing on TV screens.

The season seven contestant and her siblings had been searching for a location for two years prior to entering the show. As serendipity would have it, the perfect space became available the day after she was eliminated and they opened a mere six weeks later.

3c71194f42b9fbb95dcebc11ed10ae13

Being just another face in the kitchen helped Rose Adams when The Middle Store launched. Picture: Keryn Stevens

“My feet have not touched the ground since MasterChef, it’s been insane,” Adams laughs.

“None of us had worked in hospitality before so we were relieved we had a couple of months (before people realised who I was) to figure it out.”

That time allowed Adams to make mistakes common for first time restaurant owners from how to handle a rush, managing staff, ordering and front of house without customers knowing her as ‘that person from MasterChef’.

Anonymity is something that another Adelaide-based former contestant forfeited long ago.

Season one runner up Poh Ling Yeow has gone on to become a Logie-nominated TV host and a best-selling cookbook author in the wake of MasterChef.

15db3dd0669d07372169dfd25a9b75c8

Watching customers eat the food she’s created is a joy Poh Ling Yeow had missed. Picture: Mike Burton

Having hosted two series of Poh’s Kitchen on ABC and now gearing up for a second season of Poh & Co on SBS, Yeow made the most of her reality show fame in the wake of the series.

But it wasn’t until this year that she finally realised her dream of opening her own bricks and mortar business.

Having sold homemade pastries and cakes at a weekly farmer’s market for two years, when a permanent space became available at the Adelaide Central Markets late last year Yeow decided to take the leap into running her own cafe.

Jamface opened four months ago and Yeow admits that even though she’s now a household name, the challenges of running her own cafe remain.

“George (Calombaris), Gary (Mehigan) and Matt all told me, ‘Don’t do it!’” she laughs.

“It’s a really tough business if you want to chef it and open a place — it’s seriously like popping out quads overnight. It’s this insatiable beast that eats up your life … But I love having a place that people can come and eat my food.”

e0da943a27152448119e28e4bbf6283b

The mezze board is the crowd pleaser at Samira El Khafir’s Modern Middle Eastern Cafe. Picture: Hamish Blair

That sensation is familiar to season five contestant Samira El Khafir. When the Islamic Museum of Australia opened in Melbourne, they invited her to take over the kitchen and outdoor area to run her own eatery, Modern Middle Eastern by Samira El Khafir.

Initially Khafir says her post-MasterChef dream was to run cooking workshops. But having gone through the heat of challenges during the show she became hooked on the rush she got from the pressure of cooking for a paying public.

Despite having now been open for two and a half years she says there are still times she finds herself overwhelmed.

“There no life when you have your own business,” she says. “It’s been full on.”

c2f74fcff5a5bf3e453eecdbf8bbb518

An empty restaurant is an unfamiliar sight for Philip Vakos at Bahari. Picture: Hamish Blair

Season two’s Philip Vakos is co-owner of, and chef at, popular restaurant Bahari The Hellenic Plate in Melbourne’s Richmond and he warns the incoming batch of season eight contestants that it’s not as easy as it looks on TV.

After opening a year and a half ago, they’re consistently booked out six nights a week (“on weekends we turn away more people than we’re seating,” Vakos says) making his time on MasterChef seems like a breeze in comparison.

“Get ready for long hours because it’s brutally long days,” he says. “It’s not a TV show and you’ve got to love it to stay in the game. Because if you’re just doing it to be a celebrity chef? Then it’s not going to work out for you.”

Back