Skip to main content

Martin Place evacuated, hostages held at Lindt Cafe

Yes it does. Two h0stages are apparently dead. And the gunman.
But happy news for the troll. Kudos wanker.

Which troll? I don't appreciate people finding this 'happy news'.

I am quite disgusted if you find this happy news.

Three people confirmed dead, a 34 year old man, a 38 year old woman and the gunman.

8bd9d9a5-2f2e-4ce9-90a7-4bac9a3eb1dc_500.jpg

Just awful to wake up and find out two hostages have died. A very sad and dark day for Australia.

My thoughts are with the family of those two hostages.

As I wrote on Facebook, at the end of the day, this is yet another example of just how disgustingly bad our legal system is here in Australia. This man should never have been allowed back on our streets in the first place. Why was he ever allowed out of jail? We see way too many tragedies in this country where lives are lost at the hands of people who are given bail or allowed out of jail way before their time, if at all, and I just don't understand how many more times our juridical system has to fail us before we realise it's a complete mess? Today, another two Australians are not going home to their families this Christmas and it upsets me that so many innocent people need to die as a result of preventable circumstances like this before we realise just how wrong our system has it. It's incredibly heartbreaking... and infuriating. :( Rest in peace.

As I wrote on Facebook, at the end of the day, this is yet another example of just how disgustingly bad our legal system is here in Australia. This man should never have been allowed back on our streets in the first place. Why was he ever allowed out of jail? We see way too many tragedies in this country where lives are lost at the hands of people who are given bail or allowed out of jail way before their time, if at all, and I just don't understand how many more times our juridical system has to fail us before we realise it's a complete mess? Today, another two Australians are not going home to their families this Christmas and it upsets me that so many innocent people need to die as a result of preventable circumstances like this before we realise just how wrong our system has it. It's incredibly heartbreaking... and infuriating. :( Rest in peace.

I liked the above and then unliked it. I agree with everything you have written and it's even worse considering the police knew he was an habitual, violent criminal.

I liked the above and then unliked it. I agree with everything you have written and it's even worse considering the police knew he was an habitual, violent criminal.

Time after time, similar to the Jill Meagher and Sarah Cafferkey cases in that way, as in a habitual criminal with MULTIPLE convictions for violent crimes, not just once, many chances to revoke freedom, why the criminals are given more rights than victims and potential innocent victims is unbelievable, something needs to be done, the universe is showing us more and more how our justice system is broken and something needs to be done immediately. The poor survivors, the families of the victims and the community

In saying that, I do commend the media - they respected every aspect of the situation as well as the police's wishes not to broadcast any of the demands or the videos of the hostages that leaked on YouTube last night. They never even directly called it a "terrorist attack" until now. The idiot wanted worldwide media attention and, while he got it, not at the extent he was intending. Our media handled this situation probably the best they ever have before...

This is a sad day to those hostages that lost their lives. They did not deserve this, their family and friends deserved to have them home, for Christmas to be bright and joyous. These people waited and waited, their loved ones waited and waited. This was a sad outcome for those involved.

In saying that, I do commend the media - they respected every aspect of the situation as well as the police's wishes not to broadcast any of the demands or the videos of the hostages that leaked on YouTube last night. They never even directly called it a "terrorist attack" until now. The idiot wanted worldwide media attention and, while he got it, not at the extent he was intending. Our media handled this situation probably the best they ever have before...
Agree 100% about the media, they did handle it well.

Obviously he went to Lindt on purpose because it's directly opposite Channel Seven Sydney, which would've meant media attention would've been straight away.

Agree 100% about the media, they did handle it well.

Obviously he went to Lindt on purpose because it's directly opposite Channel Seven Sydney, which would've meant media attention would've been straight away.

Agreed, the moment it happened was coming out live from the morning show directly across from the cafe, I think law enforcement handled it extremely well and thankfully most of the media respected what was being asked instead of going for the ratings grab

Agreed, the moment it happened was coming out live from the morning show directly across from the cafe, I think law enforcement handled it extremely well and thankfully most of the media respected what was being asked instead of going for the ratings grab

He also called Ray Hadley on 2GB. I was not watching it on TV, but I was listening to 2GB, and despite Hadley usually being a bit of a "shock-jock", even he handled the issue with decorum.

He also called Ray Hadley on 2GB. I was not watching it on TV, but I was listening to 2GB, and despite Hadley usually being a bit of a "shock-jock", even he handled the issue with decorum.

I think so many were shocked something like this has happened here, we see it overseas, but not so much here, so they actually didn't know how to handle it, and thankfully most handled with as much sensitivity as possible, didn't know if it was a bigger plot, didn't want to aggravate the situation any further, I saw some of the comments on twitter when Ray Hadley announced had been in contact with a hostage off air, and lots of backlash, had to announce that he was contacted not the other way around, the public was very quick to take a stand and the media listened thankfully

I know many are saying that we shouldn't let this change things, but it is very hard not to see things change. There will be more security, there is the fear that there will be copycats... Maybe for me only, but now I will be aware that this sort of thing does really happen. There will be a sense that being safe is lost.

The positive that can be taken from this is that when it comes down to it, the majority of people will be supporting one another regardless of the events happening.

I know many are saying that we shouldn't let this change things, but it is very hard not to see things change. There will be more security, there is the fear that there will be copycats... Maybe for me only, but now I will be aware that this sort of thing does really happen. There will be a sense that being safe is lost.

The positive that can be taken from this is that when it comes down to it, the majority of people will be supporting one another regardless of the events happening.
I was talking to a friend last night who said his mate was going to take his children to see the Lego Christmas Tree at Martin Place but has now decided not to go near the place. I think it is sad when at a time of year people should be happy that Christmas is nigh, this event has instilled fear in some, which is what was intended.

Last edited:

Incredibly sad, but Im not sure its a bad thing for us to be aware something like this can happen, in some ways it was inevitable, I heard someone in the media last night say before this when there was warnings he thought it was "cute" that we would think we could be a target, and never took it seriously, so to be a bit more alert is not a bad thing, its just sad that this had to happen for some to realise we aren't immune from these things.

I think so many were shocked something like this has happened here, we see it overseas, but not so much here, so they actually didn't know how to handle it, and thankfully most handled with as much sensitivity as possible, didn't know if it was a bigger plot, didn't want to aggravate the situation any further, I saw some of the comments on twitter when Ray Hadley announced had been in contact with a hostage off air, and lots of backlash, had to announce that he was contacted not the other way around, the public was very quick to take a stand and the media listened thankfully

Yes he was contacted by the assailant and took the call off air. Some of the hostages were actually freed and they too contacted him once they were out, again, off air. He just relayed what he was told in that regard- as to the situation inside the cafe and OK'd doing so with the police first.

While listening ,Hadley copped a lot of shit as he was dissing Abbott and Hockey's comments, of saying it's "business as usual".
It was NOT business as usual as I personally equate the events of yesterday and earlier today with Port Arthur and Bryant as certainly NOT a "business as usual" day. I am gobsmacked that both they and certain listeners can be so cold, when people's lives were on the line.

The media handled it far better than the Govt itself did.

Yes he was contacted by the assailant and took the call off air. Some of the hostages were actually freed and they too contacted him once they were out, again, off air. He just relayed what he was told in that regard- as to the situation inside the cafe and OK'd doing so with the police first.

While listening ,Hadley copped a lot of shit as he was dissing Abbott and Hockey's comments, of saying it's "business as usual".
It was NOT business as usual as I personally equate the events of yesterday and earlier today with Port Arthur and Bryant as certainly NOT a "business as usual" day. I am gobsmacked that both they and certain listeners can be so cold, when people's lives were on the line.

The media handled it far better than the Govt itself did.

Im not defending the wording which was used, I don't think it was right, but I think their intention was to say terror attacks want people to be terrified, stop, be paralysed with fear etc, so don't give them what they want, don't let them win, the delivery wasn't right though, focus on the victims, not the terrorist, his "cause" or his motives etc, thats what I took from it anyway

Reactions: Tee
Back