Skip to main content

Martin Place evacuated, hostages held at Lindt Cafe

I refuse to believe the hostages are making any of these statements from their own volitions. They're relaying the words of the gunman, and their voice-tone lacks the conviction of natural speaking. The way one of them said "These are reasonable requests" sounded like she was really putting a lot of effort into making it sound like she really felt that way.
I agree although Stockholm syndrome might come into play. He may have them thinking that he is asking for reasonable requests and may be getting angry that the police aren't being obliging.

I guess I see it as distracting from the issue, which is the people in that cafe whose lives are in grave danger right this moment. I can see both sides though.

No, these are two separate issues linked by the one event. Both are bad. The thing is that we can be proactive to one, and only reactive to the other.

Think of it this way. There's nothing you or I can do to change the mind of the sick fuck disgracing his religion and the good people who follow the Islamic faith. But there is something you and I can do to protect the innocent people who disagree with this guys actions from the other sick fucks who inhabit this country and will pidgeon-hole every member of the Islamic faith with the aforementioned sick fuck in the cafe.

I agree although Stockholm syndrome might come into play. He may have them thinking that he is asking for reasonable requests and may be getting angry that the police aren't being obliging.

It wouldn't be this many, this early; dude.

#Illridewithyou goes back to the ABC reporting that Muslim women who have nothing to do with this horseshit were experiencing backlash today.

And it will continue. This is worse than Cronulla. The last time Australia had a hostage situation like this was 1984.

To support these people is not to say I support this wacko behaviour. It's to say just because you follow a certain religion it doesn't mean I think you support this crap. I'm Catholic - I don't support all the pedos who abuse children in my religion. Same thing.

Don't tar everyone with the same brush and look out for your fellow Aussies - Muslims tonight - who may be attacked because of the actions of one or a few nutters.

Not a hard concept.

It wouldn't be this many, this early; dude.
Yeah I'm not disagreeing with you. Of course he is making them say it and even telling them exactly what they have to say.

I don't believe Stockholm syndrome would be fully kicked in and that widespread either. But there may be a seed. They may purely be pissed off that the police aren't doing those things to save them.

I guess I see it as distracting from the issue, which is the people in that cafe whose lives are in grave danger right this moment. I can see both sides though.
depends how you see it, prior to this, I was astonished at the spread of hate that came with what happened initially. Unfortunately that's the reaction that will be most likely the strongest. But then that hashtag really brought people together, it stopped the hate reaction momentarily and during what is a very scary and can create people to turn on each other- it turned it around to bring people together. I thought it was extraordinary and powerful.

#Illridewithyou goes back to the ABC reporting that Muslim women who have nothing to do with this horseshit were experiencing backlash today.

And it will continue. This is worse than Cronulla. The last time Australia had a hostage situation like this was 1984.

To support these people is not to say I support this wacko behaviour. It's to say just because you follow a certain religion it doesn't mean I think you support this crap. I'm Catholic - I don't support all the pedos who abuse children in my religion. Same thing.

Don't tar everyone with the same brush and look out for your fellow Aussies - Muslims tonight - who may be attacked because of the actions of one or a few nutters.

Not a hard concept.

Quoted for truth[DOUBLEPOST=1418649584][/DOUBLEPOST]
Or perhaps they're just simply shit scared and are prepared to say anything those mongrels order them to in the hope they get out of this alive.

I presume this is exactly the case.

I read that uber rates went up to 4 times normal, but after an outcry, they started giving free rides and offered refunded to anyone overcharged.

During hurricane Sandy here, they raised rates too (something regular taxis can't do be law) and were investigated by the US attorney General.

I'm glad to see they realized the error of overcharging people and started helping people get home for free instead.

Usually lurk, but this day is starting to freak me out. Hearing the details of this guys past crimes, 7 sexual assaults and accessory to murder. He doesn't care to be seen because he plans on dying at the end. Faaaark, this is bad. So sad today

I read that uber rates went up to 4 times normal, but after an outcry, they started giving free rides and offered refunded to anyone overcharged.

During hurricane Sandy here, they raised rates too (something regular taxis can't do be law) and were investigated by the US attorney General.

I'm glad to see they realized the error of overcharging people and started helping people get home for free instead.
I was alerted to it by a friend who lives in Portland, Oregon.

information about the gunman has been released.

"
The gunman, who arrived in Australia as a refugee in 1996, achieved notoriety after he sent letters to the families of Diggers who lost their lives in Afghanistan, accusing them of being murderers.

In November last year, he was charged with being an accessory before and after the fact to the murder of his ex-wife, who was allegedly stabbed and set alight in her apartment complex. In March, he was charged with sexually and indecently assaulting a young woman in 2002."

Ok so his name is Man Haron Monis, he's a self-professed "spiritual healer" he's on bail, has been charged with sending offensive letters to relatives of deceased soldiers, accessory to murder of his ex-wife (mother of two) and, 22 charges of aggravated sexual assault and 14 counts of aggravated indecent assault.

What a hero. This isn't political/religious. He's just another murderous woman hating rapist; a grubby little criminal. He's hiding behind a beard and flag.

And he's not keeping me out of my town centre or bus stops and railway stations.

Last edited:
Well hopefully now people will start taking violence against women seriously, or at the very least a conversation needs to be had about how someone with multiple serious crimes against women is on bail in the first place, and more or less allowed to do what he has done today. Either way, he's not a terrorist, just a dickhead with a history and I won't be giving him the satisfaction of referring to him as anything else.

'Hate' sheik Man Horan Monis and girlfriend Amirzh Droudis granted bail on murder charges
  • 623491-acf852ea-62da-11e3-8bef-f68fbd62ade2.jpg
Man Haron Monis.

A SELF-STYLED sheik accused of colluding with his girlfriend to murder his ex-wife tried to plead guilty in court yesterday - to stealing a breakfast pack in prison.

During a lengthy and at times bizarre bail application Man Horan Monis, 49, interrupted the bail hearing of him and his co-accused, Amirzh Droudis, 34, who is charged with murder, to tell the court he wanted to plead guilty.

623902-03a2b7fc-62db-11e3-8bef-f68fbd62ade2.jpg

Victim: Noleen Hayson Pal, right.

Monis is charged as an accessory before and after the fact to the murder of Noleen Hayson Pal, 30, who was stabbed 18 times and set alight outside a western Sydney unit in April.

He asked to be brought up from the cells at Penrith Local Court to "plead guilty to a crime I've committed".

Mr Monis' lawyer Manny Conditsis told the court his client's outburst was to plead guilty to stealing a breakfast pack in Silverwater Jail - which he hadn't been charged over - not to the charges before the court.

Prosecutor Brian Royce said Monis' claims the Iranian Secret Police and ASIO were trying to frame him for the murder was "fanciful".

Magistrate Daryl Pearce said all theories needed to be examined, adding the prosecution case was weak. He granted bail as a "simple matter of fairness".

The court heard Ms Hayson Pal had pleaded with her murderer to stop.

The Crown's chief witness, who allegedly watched the attack unfold through his peep hole, opened his door to ask "what are doing?" when he saw Ms Hayson Pal having fluid poured on her and set alight only to be told to "go back inside" by a woman wearing a "black cape" and a headscarf that didn't obscure her face.

The court heard Monis and Ms Hayson Pal had been involved an "acrimonious" custody dispute.

Mr Royce told the court Monis went to "extreme and elaborate lengths" to create an alibi while Ms Droudis committed the "brutal" murder.

Mr Royce said Monis deliberately filmed a clock, while asking for the time, at a Penrith pool before the murder and faked a car crash outside Penrith Police station after which he claimed he had chest pains and was taken to Nepean Hospital. He said Monis made no attempts to contact his ex-wife after the accident.

Mr Conditsis said outside court the magistrate "made a courageous decision" granting bail. "It is important to note that he assessed the Crown case as weak. Mr Monis and Ms Droudis will strenuously fight these charges," he said.

The pair will reappear in court on January 22.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...n-murder-charges/story-fni0cx12-1226781623998

Back