Skip to main content

Martin Place evacuated, hostages held at Lindt Cafe

So scary. :c I really hope the police/politicians have a good plan there, because uh this could get really bad really soon. I need to catch a plane in a few days to go to ACT and this makes me kind of weary of doing so. Neither of the airports are at sydney tho but still it's... do you really wanna go in huge public places when this stuff is happening? but yeah this is super bad and makes me afraid for the future tbh. i do feel for everyone there tho.
I can see how you would feel this way, but I wouldn't change your plans because of this. Just my opinion but this will be resolved before then and you don't have any specific reason to be afraid.

Well, my question is why don't they just... give in to the demands? Like, I know that's probably not the best thing to do but the demands aren't that great really. But then I guess if "we" (ugh) give in to these demands then that perhaps sets a precedent...

You answered your own question

We're the last two saying the same things as the first 3?
Pretty much.

This is really surreal. :(

I don't think we've had such ongoing Breaking News on all the channels since the Bali bombings or even 9/11... going onto the 15th hour...

I appreciate the sentiment of the #illridewithyou hashtag, but couldn't it wait until the siege has ended?

The last video said the same stuff, but she sounded more pissed than the first three. She was a large lady with reddish/brown short hair.

I sort like the sentiment of the #illridewithyou hashtag, but couldn't it wait until the siege has ended?

The last video said the same stuff, but she sounded pissed.
pissed as in angry or as in intoxicated?

I appreciate the sentiment of the #illridewithyou hashtag, but couldn't it wait until the siege has ended?

The last video said the same stuff, but she sounded more pissed than the first three. She was a large lady with reddish/brown short hair.

No. Like it or not, there are a bunch of people in this country who would happily use this as an excuse to express their narrow-minded, racist opinions.

The hashtag is to let those who feel unsafe know that they have (many) people there to support them. I know I'd be reassured if I were in the same situation.

It's absolutely horrible.
I'm just going to repeat the advice I learned in 9/11, just turn off the media and take a break from the constant news to help protect your mental health. It really causes damage to watch the same stuff over and over.
I don't mean ignore it, I just mean that a person doesn't help themselves by watching traumatic stuff constantly, especially bad for children.

No. Like it or not, there are a bunch of people in this country who would happily use this as an excuse to express their narrow-minded, racist opinions.

The hashtag is to let those who feel unsafe know that they have (many) people there to support them. I know I'd be reassured if I were in the same situation.
I guess I see it as distracting from the issue, which is the people in that cafe whose lives are in grave danger right this moment. I can see both sides though.

I'm just going to repeat the advice I learned in 9/11, just turn off the media and take a break from the constant news to help protect your mental health. It really causes damage to watch the same stuff over and over.
I don't mean ignore it, I just mean that a person doesn't help themselves by watching traumatic stuff constantly, especially bad for children.
Yeah I have had stuff to do today so haven't been watching the whole time. In fact I didn't get to sit down in front of the TV until about 4-6pm then I had to go out again and have only just gotten home and turned the TV on again.

I refuse to believe the hostages are making any of these statements from their own volitions. They're relaying the words of the gunman, and their voice-tone lacks the conviction of natural speaking. The way one of them said "These are reasonable requests" sounded like she was really putting a lot of effort into making it sound like she really felt that way.

I guess I see it as distracting from the issue, which is the people in that cafe whose lives are in grave danger right this moment. I can see both sides though.
I think it's talking about helping people basically immediately but also tomorrow morning. That's why it's gone viral. Life goes on outside of the cafe as well hey.

He's a sick and twisted. I feel for his family too, the backlash they will receive once it's all over.
Same here. Thanks to him, his family and friends will be living in fear and going through hell, let alone the shame. Hopefully most people will understand that they are not responsible for what he's doing.

Back