Skip to main content

Last nights treatment of Gemma was terrible

You are complaining that Big Brother did this to deliberately humiliate Gemma last night.

I respond that Big Brother announced this format at the end of the nominations episode. They also can't control the housemates.

You respond saying that "they change things all the time".

So you are inferring that Big Brother should have gotten rid of the format after announcing the format already, essentially saying it's okay to change things.

So, yes, really.

You are complaining that Big Brother did this to deliberately humiliate Gemma last night.

I respond that Big Brother announced this format at the end of the nominations episode. They also can't control the housemates.

You respond saying that "they change things all the time".

So you are inferring that Big Brother should have gotten rid of the format after announcing the format already, essentially saying it's okay to change things.

So, yes, really.
That is not what I posted at all. They had an idea on how to evict, which would have been fine with most of the pairs, just not with Gemma who they have been able view all interactions with from the start, we haven't.
And yes, reality shows do that you know?

That is not what I posted at all. They had an idea on how to evict, which would have been fine with most of the pairs, just not with Gemma who they have been able view all interactions with from the start, we haven't.
And yes, reality shows do that you know?
Can you actually believe what you are saying?

First of all, how would it be reasonable for a reality show to go "nup gonna change this last minute because we don't like how the events have turned out". The show already cops flak for being scripted, can you imagine the backlash?

Second of all, why do you think Gemma is so soft and weak that she can not handle what is applied to everyone else? That's actually an insult. She's a goddamn adult, she's probably been through tougher shit than what happened last night, she's not a baby that needs to be coddled on goddamn national television.

uh whut
setting someone up to fail, and then when they do, kicking them while they're down is not something that happens in the real world, it's something that happens in high school.

in the real, grown up world i don't know anyone who's experienced anything as harsh as this, because it all stops after high school.
everyone realises how awful it is to get together and collectively tear a person down, so they just don't do it.

this wasn't an example of the real world, this was an example of the way big brother forces every semblance of maturity out of people and turns them into teenagers again.
they all knew gemma was going, but priya was the only one willing to throw her vote in order to support gemma.
they all knew that if they stood behind gemma, it wouldn't amount to anything because everyone else wanted her gone, but they still refused to even give her that.

really disappointed that they thought it was a good idea to even put the housemates in this position, tbh.

Regardless of if this was bullying or not, I'd like to point out that bullying and harassment sadly does not stop in high school . We now have Brodies Law because a young girl was bullied so badly at work that she ended up committing suicide and Anti bullying and harassment training and reporting is a large part of todays workforce that has to be taught to employers and employees to prevent bullying and harassment.

Bullying - Brodie's Law

What is Brodie’s Law?
crimepreventionlandingpagebullying.gif
Victoria’s anti-bullying legislation, known as Brodie’s Law, commenced in June 2011 and made serious bullying a crime punishable by up to 10 years in jail.

Brodie’s Law was introduced after the tragic suicide of a young woman, Brodie Panlock, who was subjected to relentless bullying in her workplace.

Brodie’s Law makes serious bullying a criminal offence by extending the application of the stalking provisions in the Crimes Act 1958 to include behaviour that involves serious bullying.

http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/home/safer+communities/crime+prevention/bullying+-+brodies+law

Can you actually believe what you are saying?

First of all, how would it be reasonable for a reality show to go "nup gonna change this last minute because we don't like how the events have turned out". The show already cops flak for being scripted, can you imagine the backlash?

Second of all, why do you think Gemma is so soft and weak that she can not handle what is applied to everyone else? That's actually an insult. She's a goddamn adult, she's probably been through tougher shit than what happened last night, she's not a baby that needs to be coddled on goddamn national television.

I don't think you're understanding what I'm posting. Reality TV shows (specially very scripted ones) can and have changed things as needed, such as when Josh had to leave due to bereavement.
And you seem to not read that I'm not talking about Gemma specifically, it would be for any HM at the bottom of the pecking order.

Gemma new when she auditioned it was a game. she would have gone through all the psychological testing like the others, she decided to play the game, admits she was playing it strategically the way she wanted too, but it didn't work. the game ended for her. yes, it probably was humiliating, but lets face it, they are all going to humiliate themselves in some way. Life's all about choices, and she chose to play a game that can turn into anything. bring the next chicken to the chopping block I say !

It's not really about how Gemma feels about it. Long term, it's the viewers. If they don't like it, they don't watch anymore. Plus it wasn't necessary.

You will always defend bullying though, your fave is Ben.

Hmm...I must be a massive cow but I loved the whole thing! I did think it was hard to go through but so what?1 It is reality tv and Gemma went in hard and fast. She would know the score. I kind of hope they pull more stuff like this.

Hmmm I think many of you are being a bit precious.

Gemma needs a major attitude readjustment and this shock treatment may just be the making of her as a person.

That's how she should be looking at it. Take some responsibility for what happened and quit playing the victim!

Sidenote: and last night, Sonia was GIVING ME LIFE! Loved it. Up there with the best that I've seen from other BB hosts. I thought that the BB Team handled the post eviction really well....

Thought Sonia handled it well too, except for that KFC mention she threw in randomly "We as well as KFC thought your ???? was "so good" like that was cringeworthy.

I know... but when the rent is due..
Last night was pretty flawless. There was another time where following a VT of Travis (ugh) pashing Aisha she did a call back on one of his lines about ticking boxes saying he was definitely "ticking the box there". I LOVED IT! I think she's doing a great job. :)
Did we miss the part where Sonia read the direction from the auto-cue?

"(To the audience)" :woot:

Even Gemma's mum thought she should have been nicer to people on the show. Gemma either had a "game plan" that sucked, or she is normally mean to people. Either way, people voted for Jake en masse because their option was:

1/ Nice guy that hasn't said anything mean to me.
or
2/ Self absorbed chick that has said multiple mean things to me.

For me, it was the group behind Jake that all linked arms with each other that got me. The fact is, you shouldn't be "united" as a group, you've just completely destroyed this poor woman's self esteem and you're acting as though it's a great bonding experience.
Priya honestly showed A LOT of bravery going against the group and standing up for what she believed in and I hope people start to see that not only is she showing a lot of guts but also that she has a great mind and she has good strategic thinking!

Regardless of if this was bullying or not, I'd like to point out that bullying and harassment sadly does not stop in high school . We now have Brodies Law because a young girl was bullied so badly at work that she ended up committing suicide and Anti bullying and harassment training and reporting is a large part of todays workforce that has to be taught to employers and employees to prevent bullying and harassment.
You're right.

I haven't seen it happen since high school, so I just assumed it was a result of people growing up.
Probably a silly assumption on my part.
The people I know have probably just been lucky, really.

You're definitely right, my bad.
Definitely don't want to minimise the harm that bullying between adults can cause.

Are you serious? They have had plenty of bullying on this show and other versions of big brother. Of course they expected it could happen. They wanted the cast to be horrible to each other for the drama.
The problem for me is that this ugliness is not what I thought big brother Australia is about.

I actually wouldn't class what happened to Gemma as bullying. Yes, it was unpleasant to watch. Yes, Lisa and Travis said some callous things to her. Yes, Sandra & Sam giggled about her as they eavesdropped. But Gemma's actions and demeanour brought all this on herself. Bullying happens when people are marginalised, ostracised and mistreated purely for who they are...not because their behaviour warranted it.

For me, it was the group behind Jake that all linked arms with each other that got me. The fact is, you shouldn't be "united" as a group, you've just completely destroyed this poor woman's self esteem and you're acting as though it's a great bonding experience.
Priya honestly showed A LOT of bravery going against the group and standing up for what she believed in and I hope people start to see that not only is she showing a lot of guts but also that she has a great mind and she has good strategic thinking!

It wouldn't have been that bad, but seeing her turn around and seeing 8 people linked together made me feel bad as she quickly turned around. It seemed almost like a "We hate Gemma" group or "Jake is better than you".

Back