Skip to main content

Last nights treatment of Gemma was terrible

as much as i couldn't stand her, yeah that whole thing was totally humiliating for her. I actually gave Priya props for standing next to her.

Yeah, it was unnecessary to make the housemates get up and stand behind the one they wanted to save, it's like rubbing salt in the wound.

Just so people know this way of voting people out was used in the most recent fantasy/reality show The Quest on ABC in the US. I think that people in Australia are obsessed with labeling people as 'bullies'. Nobody was holding her against her will, it is a Tv show that she choose to be on for cash. The Quest Lineup.jpg

I was bullied at school at times, this was almost identical.

It adds to my belief that the crowd in the House are the Cool kids. They circle around and pick at the odd person until that person lashes out, and then they go: "See, see why we don't like this person". It's called gaslighting.

This eviction has been in the back of my mind. I wonder if we have ultimately seen this as harsher than it really was because we recognise Gemma as being "different" or "weak" and therefore likely to have been the target of bullies.

We know that she had been in this position before i.e.. not chosen or picked last because she has already told us that as part of her story. I think that knowing that information intensified how uncomfortable it was to watch. It was like her greatest fear was being perpetuated for our entertainment.

So that made me wonder if the eviction took this format and it was between say Jake and Travis, whether everyone would be so quick to label it bullying.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is - do we automatically see something as bullying when there is an obvious underdog... but all part of the game when the competitors are more evenly matched.

This eviction has been in the back of my mind. I wonder if we have ultimately seen this as harsher than it really was because we recognise Gemma as being "different" or "weak" and therefore likely to have been the target of bullies.

We know that she had been in this position before i.e.. not chosen or picked last because she has already told us that as part of her story. I think that knowing that information intensified how uncomfortable it was to watch. It was like her greatest fear was being perpetuated for our entertainment.

So that made me wonder if the eviction took this format and it was between say Jake and Travis, whether everyone would be so quick to label it bullying.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is - do we automatically see something as bullying when there is an obvious underdog... but all part of the game when the competitors are more evenly matched.

I think it is more nasty behaviour.

Lining up behind the person we like best, in order to really stick it to the person you like least is just mean.

When given the choice between the two, a chimp with a brain tumour could work out it was going to be Gemma. I think Priya showed real depth of character, to go against the pack and stand behind the unpopular choice. I would have done the same.

If it was Jake and Travis and every single person stood behind Jake, I would have stood behind Travis, then stabbed him in the back until he died, Ha! Just kidding! I seriously would have stood behind Travis, because if anyone needs someone at their back, it is the person who is left feeling isolated, unsupported and completely alone.

I think it's makes it even worse that she has had to experience it her whole life and this episode just revived that. As a matter of fact it's usually those who are in a weaker position without the resources to fight back (be it physical, mental, or emotional) who get bullied. If it was evenly matched and both people gave as good as they got, it would not be bullying.

The root problem for me though was how unnecessary it was. Like @Trala said, anyone could've figured out Gemma was going, why make her relive the battering of her self-esteem she had constantly endured during her childhood? On national television no less.

If it was any other pair, e.g. Travis and Cat/David and Sandra then this hazing ritual would have been warranted to really find out who the housemates would stand behind. But that image, of 8 of the housemates standing arm in arm behind Jake, and Gemma with only Priya... that is a pathetic and vile thing to not intercept.

Gemma's so called strategy and her clear message to people that she didnt like them was why her eviction resulted in a land slide. She went about causing fake arguments and put everyone off side. There was always going to be a downfall to that strategy. Gemma realised it would end this way. You play a certain way, you have to accept the consequences. Moral of the story, if you have a strategy make sure its not a bloody ill thought out one.

agree her strategy wasn't well thought out.... BUT the eviction was handled in a terrible manner.
So proud of Priya for standing behind Gemma. I don't mind the contestants being asked who they vote to evict in front of Gemma but the lining up behind them was horrible to watch esp knowing how it would pan out. :(

Back