Skip to main content

Last nights treatment of Gemma was terrible

It wouldn't have been that bad, but seeing her turn around and seeing 8 people linked together made me feel bad as she quickly turned around. It seemed almost like a "We hate Gemma" group or "Jake is better than you".

It reminded me of early primary school...6-10 people marching in a horizontal line with arms linked, chanting "ANYBODY IN THE ROAD GETS KNOCKED OVER" lol.

I can see that point. Do you think it would be the same for anyone in that position though or just because it was so one sided?

I think being so one sided made it look worse, but I seriously doubt any housemate wants to be evicted like that.

So now Big Brother are getting blamed because the housemates decided to link arms?

The twists keep on coming.

Maybe the producers chose to make the public feel sorry for Gemma and to "support" her when she got onto social media, before she was nominated I was sure everyone HATED her. Imagine if she had to deal with more negative comments than positive? This to me, was just a way to get people to be nice to her on social media.

Maybe the producers chose to make the public feel sorry for Gemma and to "support" her when she got onto social media, before she was nominated I was sure everyone HATED her. Imagine if she had to deal with more negative comments than positive? This to me, was just a way to get people to be nice to her on social media.
Maybe you're right, but I don't think the producers would've looked into it that far.

Maybe you're right, but I don't think the producers would've looked into it that far.

I totally agree with you on that, I just think they were trying to soften the blow from the public on social media. The people on Facebook were so angry and hated Gemma now they all feel sorry for her.

So now Big Brother are getting blamed because the housemates decided to link arms?

The twists keep on coming.
I didn't see anyone blame BB because the HMs linked arms. People were merely commenting that the felt badly for her when she turned around and saw that. Fair enough if you thought there was nothing wrong with this process but don't just throw any old shit at the wall and hope it sticks.

Last night was hard to watch, and especially to do that for the first eviction, and for one where the producers would have known in advance who was likely to go and how much of an outsider that person was.

I think you might be giving the production team a little too much credit there, whatever positive there is in that seems unintended to me.

Yeah, it was unnecessary to make the housemates get up and stand behind the one they wanted to save, it's like rubbing salt in the wound.

That said, I like that the crowd gave her such a good reception. Over here, it would have been a night of "BOOO! OFF OFF OFF!", but over in Australia the first evictee got cheers and chants, and a $5000 store voucher. Such a nicer viewing experience.

Yeah, it was unnecessary to make the housemates get up and stand behind the one they wanted to save, it's like rubbing salt in the wound.

That said, I like that the crowd gave her such a good reception. Over here, it would have been a night of "BOOO! OFF OFF OFF!", but over in Australia the first evictee got cheers and chants, and a $5000 store voucher. Such a nicer viewing experience.

and if the HM's are Social Media savy and post their thanks, and mentioned names and brands etc, they will also be getting lots of freebies like clothes, makeup, food, day spas, and invites to movie premieres and charity events etc.

I am one day behind so I only caught up on the eviction ep last night, and I found it really hard to watch.

It just seemed like such a mean thing for adults to do. To me it was a bit diiferent to the humiliating team picking the sports-tarded endured at school (it was always left down to me and Ann Cecil, and she had a built up shoe, seriously!!). To me it took that horrible experience one step further. Pick two kids, now everyone line up behind the person you like best, just so we can really stick it to the one you like least.

It was absolutely tactless to say the least...... I remember in primary school when two teams would be divided and the appointed captains would have to choose the sides..... There were always the kids left at the end, again and again.
I thought of the same thing but I saw it as embarrassment, not humiliation. Out of empathy, I would pick in the early stages the one who usually is the last one standing, as to avoid the same discomfort over and over.

Gemma's position was certainly nothing like being bullied, as some have mentioned. Might have been different if some of the HMs would have said: "I don't care for Jake but I despise Gemma" but they didn't. Gemma herself said she didn't like anyone in there and wasn't going to fake it. Based on her own comments, would she have been nasty if roles would have been reversed? I thought the HMs handled it well and the group hug and the encouragement were nice. I, like Pryia, would have stood behind Gemma after making sheep sounds every time someone would choose Jake. Of course, that's because I wouldn't have cared about the consequences and would see it as a game. Nothing more. This wasn't a real life Sophie's Choice.

I was always last to be picked.

Pity me people. Or better still throw me a pity party. :D
Next time we play a game, I pick you first :)

Didn't warm to Gemma, but Priya has gone well up in my estimations for having the balls (ovaries?) to go against the pack. Surely though the production team, having observed the interactions for the last 2 weeks, knew how it would go, so why put her through it, given the stigma of being first person out is an ego kick already?
And the way she clearly was touched by the idea that Jake 'chose' her, above anyone else makes me think that this was not the first time she was lined up, watching everyone else chose anyone but her.

Nominating people to leave, in front of their face, happens every week on The Biggest Loser.
Get over it.

Back