Skip to main content

Last nights treatment of Gemma was terrible

It was hard to know what really happened in the house with all the focus on the showmances. I certainly don't intend to trust either the edit or the producers opinions as heard through Kruger and Goldman. Away from that all the audience really had to go on was that she wasn't that young in spirit/immature for what they are aiming for now and so wasn't seen as having the personality/looks to go with this cast. Priya could easily fall into that category as well, and I can't see her getting to the end. Meanwhile more boring and stupid HMs will keep in just because they are thought more showmance-ready. Sandra to me has had less reason to be unhappy in there yet she's moaned a lot. Most of the men this year are pretty dull and just there for their looks.

Well they showed her putting make up on Sam and dancing in her eviction package but all they showed during her two weeks in the house was her crying and arguing, so the edits are never fair and balanced.

I'm in WA at the moment so watched it two hours behind most people, but because I couldn't wait to find out I was reading the eviction thread as it was happening. From what people were saying on there I was expecting to watch something alike to an autopsy on a live person. I don't know, maybe reading the comments from people I was expecting it to be brutal but I really didn't see what all of the fuss was about.

Yes it was uncomfortable for her, sure it probably wasn't the nicest thing to go through, but the over the top dramatic comments alikening it to a live exectution or public stoning on the eviction thread kind of prepared me for tv at its worst. Someone even said watching it was more confronting that the ISIS beheading video .... what an outrageous comment!

Actually watching it really didn't bother me as much as I was expecting. It was pretty much over in less than 2 minutes, she wasn't sobbing uncontrollably and she seemed to reconcile the fact that she was booted pretty quickly. Given her past confessions of fake crying and melodramatic antics, I wouldn't be suprised at all if her reactions pre-eviction wasn't just another ploy for sympathy.

Nope, I didn't like her at all, but I think a majority of people are way over the top about how brutal this was, compared to some other reality type shows it was pretty on par in the brutality stakes. It's also not something I wouldn't be prepared to watch even my favourite housemate go through as an eviction process. I found it a fascinating insight into not only Gemma, but also the other housemates characters, it's a pity we didn't get to see them all vote. While they were gutless in their reasonings for voting her out, it's not like anyone said anything remotely truthfully hurtful, they just mumbled an insincere apology to her while avoiding eye contact. I think the only one who stood out as having decent character was Jake, who stood beside her without hesitation every second she was in there. He's almost saintly to be able to suffer that!
i take it you were not bullied at school then? i was and it was ecxactly like that

Ostricised self, or people ostracising her? All depends on the edit normally doesn't it? This is why live feed is so missed, most people just accept what they are told now even without much footage to back anything up.

I think it was humiliating and made even worse by the fact that this will probably be the only time we see that happen this season as I'm sure now they're not in pairs it will just go back to normal. So it's almost as if Gemma was made an example of.
BUT it's the nature of the game and Gemma did want all eyes on her so I guess she at least got that.

Omg, if anything they should have had all 14 housemates vote.. I mean if you are going to follow the format of the US and Canada BB's at least go the full length and it would have forced everyone to make a decision publicly. I wish that Cat and Travis weren't saved because that house mate eviction would have been so much more interesting.. Plus why are people surprised? This is Big Brother, it is all about confronting drama, why else would we watch. I feel like the people who are upset about this are people who haven't grown up and experienced how the real world works..

Omg, if anything they should have had all 14 housemates vote.. I mean if you are going to follow the format of the US and Canada BB's at least go the full length and it would have forced everyone to make a decision publicly. I wish that Cat and Travis weren't saved because that house mate eviction would have been so much more interesting.. Plus why are people surprised? This is Big Brother, it is all about confronting drama, why else would we watch. I feel like the people who are upset about this are people who haven't grown up and experienced how the real world works..
im plenty grown up i just dont like seeing people being treated like gemma was just night it was like a high school clique

What did she do that was so terrible? Just curious. Compared to anyone else in there I wouldn't say she said anything that bad at all. As is typical of an outsider she knew people hated her being different so she played it up a bit more to get back at them, very normal really, seen loads of times. Her only crime it seems to me is not fitting in, not being young/good looking enough and that's about it. As for her mother on the show, well I think she just bought into the whole script which was a bit sad.

I didn't think she was ugly at all.. and as for 'young', she wasn't exactly the oldest either so I don't think either of these were crimes as you described either.

There were moments where she really could have just kept her mouth shut.. The amount of times we saw we were allowed to see (cheers BB for the privilege) that the Gemma just blatantly bitched about people the moment they left the room, when they were still in earshot - rather than speaking directly to the person. She also seemed like that one person who was constantly down and wanting sympathy from the other HMs - which would take it's toll on HMs that are positive and just want to have a hassle free time. The fake crying, the theatrics.. It was obviously apparently to the HMs what she was doing, and rather than trying to bring positive attention to her, she brought a lot of negative attention to herself and it just didn't work for her.

I enjoyed watching it but I would hate to be in a confined space with it.

Global BB Watcher
". I feel like the people who are upset about this are people who haven't grown up and experienced how the real world works..

Could you be any more condescending with that remark? I am upset at Gemma's treatment and I know PLENTY about the real world and have had more than my fair share of life experiences/problems, than I care to remember.

im plenty grown up i just dont like seeing people being treated like gemma was just night it was like a high school clique

OMG it is a Tv show, why are you linking it to high school? You are bringing in your own insecurities and reflecting them onto a complete stranger you don't even know. Gemma even said on stage that she would have picked Jake over herself.. Maybe stop having such a pity party and realise that people are competing on Tv for $250,000 and that they know exactly what they are getting themselves in for. This includes being segregated on national Tv and possibly not picked to be a favourite. If she is upset about it she would probably make a public statement about how she was treated on the show, but until then why get so emotionally involved with a complete stranger..

Reactions: Jon
OMG it is a Tv show, why are you linking it to high school? You are bringing in your own insecurities and reflecting them onto a complete stranger you don't even know. Gemma even said on stage that she would have picked Jake over herself.. Maybe stop having such a pity party and realise that people are competing on Tv for $250,000 and that they know exactly what they are getting themselves in for. This includes being segregated on national Tv and possibly not picked to be a favourite. If she is upset about it she would probably make a public statement about how she was treated on the show, but until then why get so emotionally involved with a complete stranger..
its called having empathy it maybe a tv show but they are real people

its called having empathy it maybe a tv show but they are real people

They are real people who placed themselves into this situation. Gemma is super tall and I am sure she has had way worse than what happened to her in the house in actual high school. Seriously do you really think a professional television producer, two might I add (the two in charge of this show) even thought for a single second that having somebody evicted by their housemates, on a show where one of the main elements is for housemates to evict each other, would have connotations of bullying? NOT A CHANCE.. you know why? Because people are competing for a cash prize. This is not real life, this is a reality created for entertainment. If you are not entertained you probably shouldn't watch the show. Ugh how exhausting, if you have a different opinion sure you can state it but I am old enough to be able to appreciate that you may have thought you should show empathy and I will think wow at least Gemma played her guts out and the strategy to ostracize herself, for more camera time, had her evicted first.

Reactions: Jon
This was planned quite a while in advance. It is not BB's fault that Gemma pretty much ostricised herself from the rest of the house, and the end product was that 14 of the 15 housemates preferred Jake over her.

This was a result of her own doing.

Disagree

It was massively BBs fault if she indeed has GAD.

The BB execs and casting team would have known her condition and were outright cruel to put her in there knowing full well we would most likely see the outcome we have seen (all for ratings sake). It was a train wreck waiting to happen.

No matter how many times she applied or how she loves BB or how she said she wanted to play the game all about her, she should not have been part of it.

Would that limit other people with mental issues from participating? Perhaps people with conditions on the autism spectrum?

I agree. How they treated her was repulsive. Why couldn't some of them (at the end) stand behind her just to be nice?

Sam, Jason, Sandra, Aisha....they were one of the last people to vote, couldn't one of them stand behind her just for sympathy? Seeing that Jake had six people behind him I would've chosen Gemma, because it was still obvious that she was going. :facepalm:

These people have no heart.

Disagree

It was massively BBs fault if she indeed has GAD.

The BB execs and casting team would have known her condition and were outright cruel to put her in there knowing full well we would most likely see the outcome we have seen (all for ratings sake). It was a train wreck waiting to happen.

No matter how many times she applied or how she loves BB or how she said she wanted to play the game all about her, she should not have been part of it.
Wait why do we think she has GAD? Have I missed something?

i take it you were not bullied at school then? i was and it was ecxactly like that

I feel like heaps of people who watch Big Brother make it sound as if most people were bullied at school when they compare a certain housemate being "bullied" to their school experiences. I was just wondering if these people considered their own bullying to be particularly harsh or was it more of just an occasional incident.

When I read what people had said about Gemma's treatment and then watched it, it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. She kinda brought it onto herself with this strategy of her's so I think she would've expected it.

Last edited:
Wait why do we think she has GAD? Have I missed something?
Yeah has this ever been discussed previously?

They have to undergo psychological testing prior to being let into the show. For decades children have chosen sport teams that way. To be honest she seemed fine with Sonia (and then later with @Benjamin2012HM on scoopla).

If it was Skye/Lisa or Cat/Travis and the vote was far closer would it have been so humiliating?

It was horrible to watch but Gemma did contribute to it.

She didn't contribute anything to this vote: the show created the entire situation There was no reason not to have them vote in private, so they didn't just follow who was ahead off them, and instead to humiliate her. The others also knew they wouldn't have to face the same thing so they didn't care about just piling on.
It was just tacky, like every other horrible thing they've done this season.

What is even worse, they changed the format back to single nominations after they realized that they had taken the decision-making from Australia, so why not change this vote? They could have done many things and not had to single her out in front of the world.

Back