Skip to main content

Last movie you saw

I think it's actually just a name the production crew called it when making it. It doesn't really have any relevance. It's not called that in any of the official cannon.

Ted

Was very funny. It's definitely not for kids. For my sensibilities it was completely fine though. I didn't know if it'd be good or not, however it was much better than I expected.
If you think it might not be for you. It probably won't be.

Attack The Block
British film about aliens in a low income housing block. I had heard great stuff about this film. It's a year or two old. However, I found it quite disappointing. There's all the elements of a good film. It was entertaining to a point. One thing held it back. The main group of teenage boys were so unlikable. They were horrible people. When the film starts with them mugging at knife point some innocent nice young lady. You don't like or sympathize with them at all. The film does very little to redeem them. They were horrible shits of human beings through out.

It tries slightly to redeem them. However basically the film almost plays as if it's some fantasy for such moronic dickheads. That while in their little try hard life. If push came to shove they really would be hard and tough. When really it's nothing but self preservation. You just can't get into enjoying the film when you don't enjoy the characters.

Ted

Was very funny. It's definitely not for kids. For my sensibilities it was completely fine though. I didn't know if it'd be good or not, however it was much better than I expected.
If you think it might not be for you. It probably won't be.

Attack The Block
British film about aliens in a low income housing block. I had heard great stuff about this film. It's a year or two old. However, I found it quite disappointing. There's all the elements of a good film. It was entertaining to a point. One thing held it back. The main group of teenage boys were so unlikable. They were horrible people. When the film starts with them mugging at knife point some innocent nice young lady. You don't like or sympathize with them at all. The film does very little to redeem them. They were horrible shits of human beings through out.

It tries slightly to redeem them. However basically the film almost plays as if it's some fantasy for such moronic dickheads. That while in their little try hard life. If push came to shove they really would be hard and tough. When really it's nothing but self preservation. You just can't get into enjoying the film when you don't enjoy the characters.

Ted doesn't appeal to me. Not a fan of crass humour.

I saw Attack The Block and that's pretty much how I felt.. For the budget it was a good film but really they picked the worst of the worst for the protagonists didn't they?

Ted doesn't appeal to me. Not a fan of crass humour.

I saw Attack The Block and that's pretty much how I felt.. For the budget it was a good film but really they picked the worst of the worst for the protagonists didn't they?

Wait for an edited for TV version of Ted. There's a lot of really funny stuff in there which isn't crass.

One thing which is great is, the Ted character does seem real. It did that remarkably well. He's just part of that world. I don't know if that's because we've become conditioned to accepting CG characters. Or just that it's well done now.

With Attack the Block. Yeah they just were horrible. I got the impression you're meant to enjoy the way they acted and talked. However you despised them so much, you just didn't.

My brother took me to Snow White and The Huntsman. I enjoyed it :)

I think I'm going to like this too.... Much there to like with Charlize Theron playing the evil queen..... Kind of makes me think of a big budget version of "Once Upon A Time."

"Alien" ... again. Got a brand new 4 movie (all versions plus extras and all that jazz) blu-ray box set off ebay from the UK for just under $16 :)

Annoyed at various mistakes in the first movie though.

Like, when Ash is attacking Ripley the camera circles around him then backs down a hall.

Ash is looking away from camera.

Camera persons then accidentally bumps into some chain/mobile type decorations hanging from ceiling that makes a heap of noise as they then swing about.

This causes Ash to suddenly look around at the source of noise and camera man. He stays in character though and picks up Ripley and throws her towards camera.

You would think the scene would have been cut and a retake done/used, but it is still there in the 2003 directors cut.

Can't seem to find out anything about this particular error on the internut though.

UAN ?

See what I mean here at the 1.44 mark

[youtubevid]pSh1oYc9Ii4[/youtubevid]

Ok, now for the 1990 directors cut of "Aliens" ... the only way to be sure.

regarDS

Last edited:
I don't think that's a mistake.

He hears the chimes, looks over there. Then throws her there. The next shot has the chimes swinging around in front of him.

I think the look over there works even if it was a mistake.

On those alien discs. The feature length documentaries are worth watching. I watched them on the dvd box set. I think Blu-ray has the same. I'm yet to actually open my blu-rays yet and have a look at them.

I particularly liked the Alien 3 documentary as it goes into one of the original ideas for the film. Where it was set on a wooden space station monastery. All the monks think the aliens a demon. it's where the religious stuff in Alien 3 came from. How ever this original idea would have been way better.

I don't think that's a mistake.

He hears the chimes, looks over there. Then throws her there. The next shot has the chimes swinging around in front of him.

I think the look over there works even if it was a mistake.

"hears the chimes, looks over there". Yes UAN, and why/how could he "hear the chimes" unless they were, surprise surprise, chiming, and what does it take for the chimes to start chiming, hmmm ?

The chimes must be knocked or blown by something yes ?

The clip already shows that all the doors were shut and locked. It also plainly shows that the camera operator circled Ash and moved down the passage way, clearly knocking the chimes along the way, thereby turning our mere invisible camera "view" into being a physical presence able to interact with and influence the environment where the story is being told.

As in, all of a sudden, WE are actually in the room with Ash as he tries to kill Ripley, and WE circle around him and then head off down the passage way and bump some chimes as we go.

So therefore I reckon it is a clear mistake mistake (miss-take) because it not only draws attention to the a physical presence of a camera/camera operator due to the collision with the chimes that makes them swing and chime where previously they were still and silent, but also because it distracted the actor and caused him to react and turn and look at the sudden sound source and pause as if he was waiting for "cut" to be yelled so the scene could be shot again.

I suspect the plan was to always throw Ripley in that direction anyway, which is why the scene was allowed to continue rather than be reshot. The actor was prolly told to carry on and the chimes sounds added afterwards on the Foley stage so as to corrospond with the fact that the chimes were in clear view and swinging around as if somebody had just walked through them.

Which somebody just had. The person operating the camera.

Very Messy indeed, but only one of many many many errors in the film, more of which you can read about here: http://www.moviemistakes.com/film37

regarDS

In Time

Yeah it just didn't do it for me. I dunno, it just didn't engage me.

That was one of the most shyte movies of last year / this year. Totally stupid story. It just was not a very well thought out idea from the get go. I think I commented on this somewhere in here, though not sure, but anyway I still think it was a very ordinary to dull film.

However on a similar note I think I'm one of the very few people that actually liked the other movie "The Adjustment Bureau," which I think is based loosely on a Phillip K Dick story. Now that was a better film though the story also involves time, or more precisely time/space and predestination issues.

I'm yet to see The Adjustment Bureau. I want to see it though.

One of the issues with in Time. The analogy didn't quite work. Any thought about the mechanics of that world fall apart.

The time being someone always counting down. What does the end achieve? For ever they will need to keep robbing and giving away time? Time always runs down.

What's the end game to encourage rich people to eventually all kill themselves at a certain age? give away time? like.. yeah
The mechanics with the capitalism analogy.. maybe you can't think about it too much.

I'm yet to see The Adjustment Bureau. I want to see it though.

One of the issues with in Time. The analogy didn't quite work. Any thought about the mechanics of that world fall apart.

The time being someone always counting down. What does the end achieve? For ever they will need to keep robbing and giving away time? Time always runs down.

What's the end game to encourage rich people to eventually all kill themselves at a certain age? give away time? like.. yeah
The mechanics with the capitalism analogy.. maybe you can't think about it too much.

The thing is with that movie, is that I think they must have thought it was a neat idea, but somewhere it all got lost in the translation to the screen. I mean at face value the idea was cool, but watching the movie you get the impression they didn't know where to go from there, and just ambled along. That's just my take on it.

The thing is with that movie, is that I think they must have thought it was a neat idea, but somewhere it all got lost in the translation to the screen. I mean at face value the idea was cool, but watching the movie you get the impression they didn't know where to go from there, and just ambled along. That's just my take on it.

Well yeah, it's one thing to have a good idea for a movie. It's another to be able to execute that idea.

Back