Skip to main content

Last movie you saw

Battleship

Loved it. Popcorn fun. Loud noises and things going bang...... Great fun.

6/10

Walked out of it twice.

Musta been the combo of the Gold Lounge Champagne on top of the Gloria Jean ice-coffee I had prior.

Spoilers alert Spoilers alert Spoilers alert

lolled at the "beam up bright light FROM satellite or radio receivers, to a satellite and into the void" thang, then WTF?ed at the whole "aliens cast spaceships back across the void in return only for half of them to get cleaned up by slowly deorbiting space junk", then giggled at the NOAA provided grid for a psuedo "battleship board".

Found myself singing "Come on Thunderchild ..." towards the end though. ;)

[youtubevid]d4-NQ0EaJkg[/youtubevid]

Enjoyable "stuff and nonsense".

regarDS

Been a while since i've been here.

Cinema

Battleship - Exactly what i expected, in fact it was a bit better than I expected. I expected a big silly, over the top cliched action film. Where it exceeded expectations is I thought it'd be as silly and all over the place as the Transformers sequels, instead of more traditionally structured. You know what to expect with these films and it delivers on that.

American Pie Reunion. - It was entertaining enough. It seemed more like a series of scenes for the characters instead of a well written story. It's been so long since i've seen the others, but I seem to remember them as being better. Still in a few years time if they make another. I'll go see it.

The Avengers - Awesome! Lots of fun, great action and entertainment. It's also got some really killer one liners in it. Comic Book Action movies don't get much better than this. The film lived up to and exceeded expectations with how entertaining it is. It's for people who have seen the recent Marvel films and if you liked them, you'll love this as it's the best of the bunch. However I could see it maybe being a bit odd if you didn't say, know who Thor was.

The Hunger Games - Dull and boring. There's a whole bunch of interesting themes and ideas which are not explored at all. Then it's just over long and dull. Apparently it's way better if you've read the book.

on Blu-ray

not a movie, but I've been watching Breaking Bad, damn it's good. So engrossing and interesting. Better than most movies.

Drive - I really enjoyed this. I have to admit, i had been meaning to watch this for ages. What pushed me to actually picking up the bluray was that I get told occasionally i look like Ryan Gosling. Anyways very good film. It's a bit of a slow burn where it just kind of sucks you in. Very good film. It's also hard to explain. It's definitely not a film for everyone.

Been a while since i've been here.

Cinema

The Avengers - Awesome! Lots of fun, great action and entertainment. It's also got some really killer one liners in it. Comic Book Action movies don't get much better than this. The film lived up to and exceeded expectations with how entertaining it is. It's for people who have seen the recent Marvel films and if you liked them, you'll love this as it's the best of the bunch. However I could see it maybe being a bit odd if you didn't say, know who Thor was.

Which of the marvel movies should you watch before seeing this?

So far I've only watched both Iron Man movies and Thor.

Has anyone seen Dark Shadows yet? Not great reviews, but Depp has good reviews for his part.

I saw bits of this show I think when a kid, never knew what it was about.

Not a film, but I finally got around to starting Spartacus: Vengence. Damn it's good! I was quite worried how this season would go. With a new Spartacus, as well as the expanding scope and scale of the story. Must say I am really happy so far. Spent a Saturday night in watching the first three episodes and if it wasn't for other people complaining about the noise i'd be still watching more now.

Definitely pleased I decided to wait until the the season was over before watching.

I had been making my way through a re-watch of the previous two seasons over the last few months. Still good and the bad stuff is not as bad. I also liked how they are tying in stuff from Gods of The Arena. So it actually wasn't just a detour from the main story.

They look great on Blu-ray. The Gods of the Arena blu ray features most of the final arena battle in 3D which is pretty damn sweet. No idea why they had it in 3D. If it was just for the fun of it, or some sort of test of converting the show to 3D. In anycase, it actually made me wish the show was in 3D. Some of the slow motion action really looked awesome in 3D. If you saw The Immortals in 3D you'd know what I mean.

The show really is a one that has spent it's time improving. Both on the writing, the effects and especially the action. Some of the outdoors stuff in the new season looks way better than I expected from a show filmed in a studio. Or from the stuff we saw in the previous seasons. So bravo! Seems they're improving on what they've learnt and looks like they've upped the budget as well. I read they're in training for the next season, lets hope they continue on this trend of bigger and better!

Iron Sky

Can't wait for this. But I hope that Hoyts give it a fair go............ In the UK it is only getting a ONE DAY RELEASE

http://www.ironsky.net/site/iron-sky-in-the-uk-for-one-day-only-bollocks/

Saw it today, 4 days after it's Oz release.

An excellent movie with all sorts of subtle and not so subtle stuff going on, and prolly stuff I didn't actually notice the first time around.

Prolly won't do well at "movie mall" type places that cater for the bogan masses but if it can get into the small theatres perhaps it might be able to do a "gods must be crazy" type thing ... IE, get a bit of cult following and show for months.

Looking forward for the DVD release now, as well as certain parts of the movie ending up on youtube.

regarDS

Avengers was cool but found this article and thought it was interesting.

160 billion dollars damage to New York in the battle with the alens and the Avengers

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/05/10/avengers-new-york-city/

Now in real life someone would sue them for all that destruction now wouldn't they? And its not like you will get any money out of anyone except maybe Stark..

Oh and Black Widow looks like she could kick Captain America's ass

The excellent Ridley Scott Alien/Aliens (etc) prequel, "Prometheus".

Was excellent.

Especially in how he tied it all in with what we've already seen/know.

Won't say more as wouldn't want to spoil anything. I will say that it is more about the origins, period, than the nasty facehugger spawned aliens though ... and that it opens up that particular universe for a whole new story (and potential badguys) as opposed to the usual "humans vs alien" "predator vs alien" etc, etc, etc thang.

However, do yourself a favour and DO see the original "Alien" before seeing this. :)

[adit] After you've seen it, read this: http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

regarDS

Last edited:
However, do yourself a favour and DO see the original "Alien" before seeing this. :)

See I would say, if you haven't seen Alien. Don't see it before you see this. Definitely watch it after. Even if you didn't like the film. It's a must watch film.

I really enjoyed Prometheus. However I have noticed a lot of backlash is coming precisely because it is not Alien or Aliens. It's it's own completely different thing. Set in the same universe.

I think if people go, oh i'll see Alien. Which is an amazing film. Then if they go to Prometheus looking for more of that, they'll be disappointed. As it's a film about different things and really a completely different type of film.

Also it really is meant to stand on it's own. It's kind of like you go to the future and pluck different stories out to tll. Which may be connected but are different stories. I've seen so many misconceptions about the links. Prometheus for instance is set on LV-223. As opposed to Alien/Aliens on LV-426. People mistake this as being the same planet. As set up. When really it's not at all set up for Alien. It's a different look into the Aliens universe. Into elements of it. However it's going for a completely different angle, different kind of film.

I don't think this is spoiler alert, while Prometheus is obviously before Alien. The ship in Alien is older than the stuff in Prometheus.

Another interesting aspect is, the ambiguity to some aspects. A lot of people complain Prometheus doesn't spell everything out. However it's kind of central. The same way in Alien we have no idea where the ship came from, or the aliens. In Prometheus we get a more access to stuff, but really are none the wiser.

Anyway great sci-fi film. It also looks absolutely stunning.

Cabin in the Woods

Very fun film. I don't want to give much away. Basically it's the sort of premise of a group of good looking college kids go to a creepy cabin in the wood. However there's this whole other level of stuff going on.

Couple of Aussies in it, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and That hot NZ chick from the second underbelly.

Anyway it is not the typical sort of film. Watch the trailer to get an idea. The other stuff going on, behind it all features parrallell to the people at the cabin. So it's not a whole, reveal. First scene is from that side.
[video=youtube;OJUIgf7lsCY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJUIgf7lsCY[/video]

See I would say, if you haven't seen Alien. Don't see it before you see this. Definitely watch it after. Even if you didn't like the film. It's a must watch film.

I really enjoyed Prometheus. However I have noticed a lot of backlash is coming precisely because it is not Alien or Aliens. It's it's own completely different thing. Set in the same universe.

I think if people go, oh i'll see Alien. Which is an amazing film. Then if they go to Prometheus looking for more of that, they'll be disappointed. As it's a film about different things and really a completely different type of film.

Also it really is meant to stand on it's own. It's kind of like you go to the future and pluck different stories out to tll. Which may be connected but are different stories. I've seen so many misconceptions about the links. Prometheus for instance is set on LV-223. As opposed to Alien/Aliens on LV-426. People mistake this as being the same planet. As set up. When really it's not at all set up for Alien. It's a different look into the Aliens universe. Into elements of it. However it's going for a completely different angle, different kind of film.

I don't think this is spoiler alert, while Prometheus is obviously before Alien. The ship in Alien is older than the stuff in Prometheus.

Another interesting aspect is, the ambiguity to some aspects. A lot of people complain Prometheus doesn't spell everything out. However it's kind of central. The same way in Alien we have no idea where the ship came from, or the aliens. In Prometheus we get a more access to stuff, but really are none the wiser.

Anyway great sci-fi film. It also looks absolutely stunning.

I keep hearing the words "space jockeys" in reviews to describe the alien they find in this and in the movie Alien. Anyone know why they were called this?

I keep hearing the words "space jockeys" in reviews to describe the alien they find in this and in the movie Alien. Anyone know why they were called this?

From Alien
MgOSu.jpg

This was on the ship with the eggs in Alien. It was nick named the space jockey at the time.

So as explores more about that race of people, relation to humans ect, some call them space jockeys. Although really they should just be called "the engineers."

Back