Skip to main content

Last movie you saw

That these super advanced beings capable of interstellar travel, somehow had their ship break down at planet Earth, without any regard for the impact their presence would cause, and with a seemingly ignorant appraisal of human psychology and greed.

That they allowed themselves to be imprisoned in a ghetto when they had weaponry and numbers to wipe out the human race.

That they bartered their weaponry for cat food...

That humans and the aliens could communicate with ease, yet there hadn't been any kind of sophisticated cultural intercourse.

Ah so you didn't understand the film, where it was coming from and what it was getting at. People no matter where they are from in desperate circumstances can end up living uncivilisaed in squaller. This has happened many times in human history, it was using alien in this case. The plight of the aliens was a parallel to the plight of millions of humans who have become refugees and all social order breaks down and live in squalor and refugee camps.

They had no use for their weaponary, and these were just a worker class of the aliens. There were the much more intelligent ones among them however.

The communicating thing is a non issue. They'd been there for 20 plus years, and had been kept in the camps.

That they had immunity to all our nasty microbes, and we to theirs.

That is nit picking to be nit picky and isn't a plot hole or a flaw on anything. There isn't some rule in nature that alien microbes automatically are deadly to people from another planet. There's nothing to even say they'd be similar types of life.

It was just too ridiculous to think humans would realistically treat an alien race so badly, when the possibility of ten thousand motherships appearing some time in the future was entirely possible.
We treat other humans that badly and worse? Why not treat broken dying aliens, when we want their technology and weapons how we treat other humans? Part of where i think you missed the central theme.

That the protagonist somehow become infected with a compound that transformed him into one of the aliens.

This is just not buying into the film and not a flaw.

That the evil scientists didn't treat the protagonist more humanely, alienating him to the point of his escape.

The entire scenario was absurd.

Nopes you just didn't buy into the film and so there for didn't understand the premise, couldn't sympathise with the aliens and their situation, put it all in the context of human refugees and second class citizens through out the world and history. There for just label everything stupid just because you didn't get it. Which there's nothing wrong with.

Films are subjective, didn't like, cool whatever. However your criticisms are invalid justifications for just not buying into it. Also having not seen the end of the film you missed out on a lot of answers and resolutions to questions and the themes of the film.

They could but they seem like some sort of nutty religious order..... If you got rid of them others might take their place.

Yet within the world of the film no one knows about the Jumpers or the Paladins because I don't think the authorities would be too thrilled with murderers running about the place like that.

I was thinking, as the espionage angle was mentioned by the director for a sequel. They could easily have a government agency take them on bored to use for missions, and just say they've tracked down and caught most of the paladins. Or think they have.. but haven't really. So you can tie into an action plot the remaining paladins coming out of hiding. Even leave that for a third film. Apparently they planned a trilogy.
The time travel thing, they could be used to prevent crimes in the past, stop the paladins. Although yeah the things suggested such as jumping to other planets.. they could go all out, but it'd rather they kept it more real.
This is where I defend the film and why it's a guilty pleasure, despite being flawed, there's just something that grabs my imagination about it.

I was thinking, as the espionage angle was mentioned by the director for a sequel. They could easily have a government agency take them on bored to use for missions, and just say they've tracked down and caught most of the paladins. Or think they have.. but haven't really. So you can tie into an action plot the remaining paladins coming out of hiding. Even leave that for a third film. Apparently they planned a trilogy.
The time travel thing, they could be used to prevent crimes in the past, stop the paladins. Although yeah the things suggested such as jumping to other planets.. they could go all out, but it'd rather they kept it more real.
This is where I defend the film and why it's a guilty pleasure, despite being flawed, there's just something that grabs my imagination about it.

Oh no I don't hate it. Just that it didn't quite live up to expectations.... It's on rotation on my list of guilty pleasure movies.......

I did like the bonus features of the DVD and one "pre vis" that they did with a massive fight scene which ended on the Moon at the Apollo lander which got left behind. Then just as the jumper is passing out he jumps to the ocean I think. Was brilliant but pity it never made it to the film.

Oh really.. wonder if that's on my dvd??? I should have a look!

Sometimes with dvds you can't be bothered with the bonus features, or there's too many that I tell myself i'll come back to watch another day but never do.

Oh really.. wonder if that's on my dvd??? I should have a look!

Sometimes with dvds you can't be bothered with the bonus features, or there's too many that I tell myself i'll come back to watch another day but never do.

It should be. Most versions of the DVD have the same bonus features.

But I think we in Australia get short changed with bonus stuff on DVDs . It's not as it it costs more to put the stuff there, it doesn't.

Just comparing the US verions of BSG have tons of bonus stuff and our versions we get almost zip, zilch, nada......... That shouldn't be. It's a rip off.

Love the Beast - Erica Bana

I enjoyed this documentary even though I have no interest in men and their cars. The passion and emotion Eric feels for his classic car really comes through the screen, it was a fun watch.

Just re-watched "Wilde" (Stephen Fry, Jude Law), which I hadn't seen for over 10 years.

I've see a lot of Stephen Fry lately with his "Fry in America" show on ABC (way better than Hamish and Andy's attempt, but I digress). Fry's show has been wonderful, interesting, humane, droll, and I particularly liked the Mormon photo shoot in Vegas.

And the dope police....the Thanksgiving in Georgia....the barber shop in London (Kentucky) where he was the first Londoner to visit...the football final in Alabama....the Inuits in Alaska....the Chippendale treasure hunt thingy...the scenery in Montana/Wyoming etc...the Arizona Indians and those red rock formations (and I still managed to miss 2 of the episodes).

"Wilde" is an amazing wonderful movie. It brings tears to my eyes every time I watch the movie. Especially when he reads the story about the giant. So he can actually act.

Ah so you didn't understand the film, where it was coming from and what it was getting at. People no matter where they are from in desperate circumstances can end up living uncivilisaed in squaller. This has happened many times in human history, it was using alien in this case. The plight of the aliens was a parallel to the plight of millions of humans who have become refugees and all social order breaks down and live in squalor and refugee camps.

They had no use for their weaponary, and these were just a worker class of the aliens. There were the much more intelligent ones among them however.

The communicating thing is a non issue. They'd been there for 20 plus years, and had been kept in the camps.

That is nit picking to be nit picky and isn't a plot hole or a flaw on anything. There isn't some rule in nature that alien microbes automatically are deadly to people from another planet. There's nothing to even say they'd be similar types of life.

We treat other humans that badly and worse? Why not treat broken dying aliens, when we want their technology and weapons how we treat other humans? Part of where i think you missed the central theme.

This is just not buying into the film and not a flaw.

Nopes you just didn't buy into the film and so there for didn't understand the premise, couldn't sympathise with the aliens and their situation, put it all in the context of human refugees and second class citizens through out the world and history. There for just label everything stupid just because you didn't get it. Which there's nothing wrong with.

Films are subjective, didn't like, cool whatever. However your criticisms are invalid justifications for just not buying into it. Also having not seen the end of the film you missed out on a lot of answers and resolutions to questions and the themes of the film.

Whatever. It's obvious I couldn't accept the premise, therefore the entire illusion broke down and I nitpicked.

I need fantasy and science fiction to be rock solid, like the ultra deep worlds created by Tolkien and Frank Herbert.

Why use stupid aliens to depict human concerns and drama. I prefer aliens to be alien.

Last edited:
The good news so far this month is that the Tolkien Estate versus New Line court dispute seems to be settled, and they can get on with making "The Hobbit"

There's one thing we can all agree on.....because the one thing that unites us....is JRR Tolkien flicks!

The good news so far this month is that the Tolkien Estate versus New Line court dispute seems to be settled, and they can get on with making "The Hobbit"

There's one thing we can all agree on.....because the one thing that unites us....is JRR Tolkien flicks!

Why did they go to court?

Why did they go to court?

Apparently because New Line Cinema paid the Tolkien estate no royalties from the LOTR trilogy movies.

Now I find it hard to believe no royalties were paid, but clearly the estate was unhappy with the sum paid.

Part of me wishes the estate would clam up, so that the films can be made soonish. Then again, I know that New Line once had a dispute with Peter Jackson, and I'm thinking that maybe New Line are rapacious money grubbers.

Then again, isn't that how people or companies become wealthy in the first place? ;)

Apparently because New Line Cinema paid the Tolkien estate no royalties from the LOTR trilogy movies.

Now I find it hard to believe no royalties were paid, but clearly the estate was unhappy with the sum paid.

Part of me wishes the estate would clam up, so that the films can be made soonish. Then again, I know that New Line once had a dispute with Peter Jackson, and I'm thinking that maybe New Line are rapacious money grubbers.

Then again, isn't that how people or companies become wealthy in the first place? ;)

Ta thanks Goldenberry for the explanation.... I didn't know of that story.

Ta thanks Goldenberry for the explanation.... I didn't know of that story.

Do I sense a certain sarcasm dripping off those words? I thought it was common knowledge! Then again New Line Cinema has so many disputes with people involved in these movies I suppose one dispute morphs into another after awhile.

The LOTR movies made a bigger profit than people expected which got bigger with each movie, so I think the Tolkien estate may have come wandering back to the well for some more royalties.

Mr Pips MADE ME watch this.. :eek: I didn't know where to put it but I'm sure some of you would think it's funnyish!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzXk3nfEdMY&feature=related[/ame]

Last House On The Left on DVD.

%5C43%5C66%5C4366164.jpg

It's a remake.. I never seen the original but this one is pretty ****ed up! graphic rape scene on a 16 year old girl and then she's left for dead.. The killers than find refuge in a near by house while they ride out a storm. But little do they know it's the girls parents who they are staying with and when they find out what they did to her they will be pissed! ;)

Last edited:
Whatever. It's obvious I couldn't accept the premise, therefore the entire illusion broke down and I nitpicked.

I need fantasy and science fiction to be rock solid, like the ultra deep worlds created by Tolkien and Frank Herbert.

Why use stupid aliens to depict human concerns and drama. I prefer aliens to be alien.

Different films for different people. This was meant to be a realistic sci-fi film that was gritty.

I do think the science fiction was sold, as the best sci-fi reflects many themes of the human existence. Although it was not the pushing into unexplored realms of it, but still as far as sci-fi goes, what else was there this year? transformers? Although Moon was meant to be excellent but isn't out yet.

You didn't think it had some of the most realistic aliens ever in film? Just because their condition wasn't all holographic control panels, outer space, laser guns.. although there guns making people explore were cool..

ah well, just a shame you didn't enjoy such a fine feature.

The effects were excellent. I assume the aliens were CGI.

I think it is safe to predict that Avatar will be the sci-fi film that defines 2009.

Do I sense a certain sarcasm dripping off those words? I thought it was common knowledge! Then again New Line Cinema has so many disputes with people involved in these movies I suppose one dispute morphs into another after awhile.

Hey no sarcasm was ever meant.... I honestly did not know of the court case and stuff...

The effects were excellent. I assume the aliens were CGI.

I think it is safe to predict that Avatar will be the sci-fi film that defines 2009.

Yeah they were, but it was realistic despiote the good cg, because we didn't just see you know a commander who speaks english in a rubber suit ect. They were believable as a people and a culture in the situation they were in.

Avatar, a lot of people like me weren't exactly blown away by the recfent preview screenings of 15mins. I am sure it'll be good, I just aint sure it'll be hype good.

Last House On The Left on DVD.

%5C43%5C66%5C4366164.jpg

It's a remake.. I never seen the original but this one is pretty ****ed up! graphic rape scene on a 16 year old girl and then she's left for dead.. The killers than find refuge in a near by house while they ride out a storm. But little do they know it's the girls parents who they are staying with and when they find out what they did they will be pissed! ;)

Yeah well hey the original one is just as bad. But in the original two girls are the victims.. I have not seen the remake but felt quite uncomfortable with the original one so I'm not gonna watch the remake at all..

Back