Skip to main content

Kit Kat Biscuit or Chocolate

Oh really? I didn't know that!

Is there an official food classification board or something, or can companies just call their stuff whatever they want, however misleading or inaccurate it may be?

Well you could but I don't know what good it would do. Healthfood stores usually tell you what's on the "tin" as they have to meet an exacting standard. Supermarkets...not so much. I think the issue is, that most people don't read labels and "trust" a product they see as reputable so they just get away with it.

They've always been located in the sweets/lolly aisle in the shops next to the blocks of cadbury... so, chocolate.

They are up near the counter too as "impulse buys" along with gum, whether chewing or bubble. Does that make them a gum given the location?

They are up near the counter too as "impulse buys" along with gum, whether chewing or bubble. Does that make them a gum given the location?

but you don't see biscuits at the impulse buy section do you?

if they were biscuits they'd be in the biscuit aisle normally

I just watched the vid..lol That was good.:)

As per the other thread, thank you for letting me know about the Jaffa Cake. I will have to get some next time I shop and put the family to "the test".

Re biscuits in the US though.. THEIR biscuits are like little rolls or scones. You get them with KFC to dip in the gravy and they are soft..like a bun, and some times are a little like a scone in texture. The cultural difference IS confusing, over something so simple.

Hang about, will show you what I mean..

il_570xN.328037217.jpg

That is not a cookie, not a kitkat for that matter, but it IS a biscuit.O_O
Looks like a scone to me, but as I'm an Australian, it would look like a scone. A biscuit is a Tim Tam and a Monte Carlo, for example.

McVitie's Jaffa Cakes are really quite unique. They are different from other biscuits and are more like cakes than biscuits. I think of biscuits as being 'hard' and 'crunchy', but Jaffa Cakes are light, soft and spongey. The base consists of a light sponge cake and the top is an orangey jelly covered in a thin layer of plain chocolate.

Kit Kats have a crunch factor but are not in the same area as what I define as a chocolate as Kismet mentioned like Mars Bars etc. Tim Tams are more biscuit due to double layer of biscuits covered in chocolate. I see a chocolate as something having chocolate inside and out and that there is a high percentage of one element. Kit Kat are a biscuit covered in chocolate. One can't argue though that they are yummy and all this talk of them made me go to the shop and buy one

Jaffa Cakes are excellent biscuits and I highly recommend them. They are a 'biscuit' of contrasts: the soft sponge against the sweet, orange filling and thin layer of plain chocolate makes for an unusual, yet delicious snack. I would recommend them with a nice cup of tea or coffee, but BEWARE: they are HIGHLY ADDICTIVE, and you may find yourself finishing off the whole packet in a very short amount of time!
The Kita Kat fingers, designed to be broken and eaten separately are chocolates. The giant one is wrong, very wrong.

Where it's put on the shelf is the main conjecture here. if it was packed in a package like biscuits are it would not be out of place then.
There are rules on how a food is defined and this is where the debate gets started really. I have a friend in customs and they have not really got a clear definition except to call it confectionery which is a wide category. He could only say that it's not clearly defined but it is more to do with excise tax paid on imported items and biscuits can be higher than chocolate in some cases the other way round.

Thank you iJake for you comment about this thread. I thought it would be a bit f fun diversion while BB is off for the weekend and thanks to Kismet for suggesting taking it to lounge to share with others on the site.

Kit Kat have had ice creams and drumstick variations but the fun with this debate is weighing up the pros and cons

Kit Kat chunky was pretty gross but I loved the cookie dough version of it so much.

I expected the white chocolate one to be so good since I tend to prefer white chocolate, I was so disappointed. Same with the white twix, since regular twix is probably my favourite of them all.

dsc02575.jpg

The many versions found in Japan Green Tea Apple and Sweet Potato favorites I have tried

They taste different as a majority of Japanese a lactose intolerant so its a different tasting chocolate coating and they sell them as twin finger bars only but you get a box with six pack of twin fingers inside

I remember in Australia we had a few flavors unique to us one I think was a cappuccino one. We also sell them in a box and bucket Kit Kat bites as round like shape those are venturing more away from the biscuit style which might be their way of trying to prove they are chocolate not biscuit. I am not buying into that.

Kit Kat chunky was pretty gross but I loved the cookie dough version of it so much.

I expected the white chocolate one to be so good since I tend to prefer white chocolate, I was so disappointed. Same with the white twix, since regular twix is probably my favourite of them all.
It's particularly the mint that I want!

They have this 3 chunky thing where one little bit is mint but that's not enough mint for me!

It's particularly the mint that I want!

They have this 3 chunky thing where one little bit is mint but that's not enough mint for me!

Haha, aw I can just picture you buying multiple at a time and then just eating the one mint bit and then throwing the rest away. What an outrage!

Back