Skip to main content

Kit Kat Biscuit or Chocolate

mrB

a kit kat is a biscuit
As it says in my avi Kit Kat is a biscuit
There is much debate on this and happy to find out what others think of it.

I know there are many questions and troubles in teh world we could solve but this enternal question has plagued me since the days I watch Two Pints of Lager and A Packet of Chips tv series So what do you think

Johnny raps his proof

A fun tv series like all good shows went a few series too long This came from an early musical show they did when Johnny was single and preferred a biscuit to a relationship

Kit Kats are biscuits to me and I remember they tried bringing out a biscuit version but it didn't take off too well. The chunky is more a push to confirm they are a chocolate but the original Kit Kat created in 1937 as a single finger has been dunked in coffee and tea and was used as a snack for solders in the second world war.

Sad I know so much about Kit Kats what have I done with my life lol

I just watched the vid..lol That was good.:)

As per the other thread, thank you for letting me know about the Jaffa Cake. I will have to get some next time I shop and put the family to "the test".

Re biscuits in the US though.. THEIR biscuits are like little rolls or scones. You get them with KFC to dip in the gravy and they are soft..like a bun, and some times are a little like a scone in texture. The cultural difference IS confusing, over something so simple.

Hang about, will show you what I mean..

il_570xN.328037217.jpg

That is not a cookie, not a kitkat for that matter, but it IS a biscuit.O_O

In the South like Texas where they have biscuits and gravy which I guess are the KFC things you showed me there
Kit Kat has over thirty flavors in Japan I tried five of them odd tastes.
The debate as to whether they are biscuits I like to see what arguments against the theory

I would call it a chocolate purely because of where its situated at the supermarket and the fact that its more chocolate than wafer
Where they put it is part of the debate I think it should be in the biscuit aisle in the supermarket and only because they are small they would get lost in the biscuit section but they are wafers and closer to biscuit than chocolate

Re biscuits in the US though.. THEIR biscuits are like little rolls or scones. You get them with KFC to dip in the gravy and they are soft..like a bun, and some times are a little like a scone in texture. The cultural difference IS confusing, over something so simple.

Hang about, will show you what I mean..

That is not a cookie, not a kitkat for that matter, but it IS a biscuit.O_O

Now, "biscuits" (not the US scone type) and "cookies", how would you separate the two? I've always called anything crunchy or with a cream-between a biscuit but anything soft a cookie haha but I don't know if there's an actual difference between the two or if they're all "biscuits" and "cookies"

Where they put it is part of the debate I think it should be in the biscuit aisle in the supermarket and only because they are small they would get lost in the biscuit section but they are wafers and closer to biscuit than chocolate

Well yeah I mean the TeeVee Snacks wafer thingo's are in the biscuit aisle and they're basically the same, perhaps its a branding thing.... oh but what about the big blocks of KitKat? That's in a chocolate block?

EDIT: just remembered TeeVee Snacks are an Arnotts product, probably want to keep all their shit together in the same aisle

Well, I see a kit kat as I do a gaeity, purely because of the make up.
I see @wonwon believes they are a chocolate because they are usually situated with things like Mars Bars et al, however... in supermarkets, there are MANY foods in the "international" aisle, including for example a Terry's Chocolate Orange. Does that cease to become a chocolate because of its locale?

TWIX are also in the "chocolate" section, but there is a clear biscuity crunch that's undeniable. Are we supposed to take the crunch factor out?

I won't even talk about what' going on in the frozen sections these days... but will say.. there IS also kit-kat icecream available.

About 26% believe Kit Kat is a biscuit. In the case of Kit Kat and chocolate or biscuit debate its the melt factor. Biscuits melt faster than chocolate in normal condition and a Kit Kat melts rather quickly I would like to test it more and find out but of course the chocolate company might not be so keen due to the reason it isnt defined as either choc or biscuit is due to paying taxes and it costs more depending on how customs defines it

Also I think shape has something to do with the perception of a chocolate bar. Imagine a Twix, made round and flat with the exact same composition as the bar and people will call it a biscuit.

jaffa-cakes.jpg
Twix has more toffee in it making more a chocolate. And Jaffa Cakes which supermarkets can't decide where to place them they are found in both biscuit and cake sections but only due to the stale test where biscuits go soft and cakes hard when stale that the Jaffa Cake really becomes defined as a cake.
Kit Kat marketed chunky bars to be more chocolate and similar to Gaiety in that manner but chunky Kit Kats are no argument they are definably a chocolate.
Twirls are also a chocolate but the only thing close to Kt Kat in my eyes is the chocolate wafer finger biscuits and the packaging on Kit Kat calls them a chocolate coated wafer finger so to me that is admitting a similarity and therefore my contention that Kit Kats are biscuits

Now, "biscuits" (not the US scone type) and "cookies", how would you separate the two? I've always called anything crunchy or with a cream-between a biscuit but anything soft a cookie haha but I don't know if there's an actual difference between the two or if they're all "biscuits" and "cookies"

I usually separate them in my mind ( and palate) by taste and texture too but that doesn't seem to be the norm. When I make cookies for example, they are always softer than a (non American style) biscuit. I see a TIM TAM to be a biscuit, even though the majority of its makeup IS chocolate. (they are also awesome dipped in a hot non-savoury beverage) They do have that crunch factor as biscuit IS involved. So a chocolate to me, would be more like a Mars Bar or Milky Way.

McVitie's Jaffa Cakes are really quite unique. They are different from other biscuits and are more like cakes than biscuits. I think of biscuits as being 'hard' and 'crunchy', but Jaffa Cakes are light, soft and spongey. The base consists of a light sponge cake and the top is an orangey jelly covered in a thin layer of plain chocolate.

Kit Kats have a crunch factor but are not in the same area as what I define as a chocolate as Kismet mentioned like Mars Bars etc. Tim Tams are more biscuit due to double layer of biscuits covered in chocolate. I see a chocolate as something having chocolate inside and out and that there is a high percentage of one element. Kit Kat are a biscuit covered in chocolate. One can't argue though that they are yummy and all this talk of them made me go to the shop and buy one

Jaffa Cakes are excellent biscuits and I highly recommend them. They are a 'biscuit' of contrasts: the soft sponge against the sweet, orange filling and thin layer of plain chocolate makes for an unusual, yet delicious snack. I would recommend them with a nice cup of tea or coffee, but BEWARE: they are HIGHLY ADDICTIVE, and you may find yourself finishing off the whole packet in a very short amount of time!

This thread is amazing.

Chocolate, btw... but now I'm kinda unsure. Do I think it's chocolate just because I'm told it is?

HA HA!!! Good point! White "chocolate" isn't actually chocolate but rather, the fatty icky bits of cocoa left over from the cocoa bean. That however does not stop Nestle' selling it off as a CHOCOLATE Bar.:greedy: Bastards.:meh:

HA HA!!! Good point! White "chocolate" isn't actually chocolate but rather, the fatty icky bits of cocoa left over from the cocoa bean. That however does not stop Nestle' selling it off as a CHOCOLATE Bar.:greedy: Bastards.:meh:

Oh really? I didn't know that!

Is there an official food classification board or something, or can companies just call their stuff whatever they want, however misleading or inaccurate it may be?

I would go with chocolate, there's not enough wafer in it for it to be a biscuit.

They've always been located in the sweets/lolly aisle in the shops next to the blocks of cadbury... so, chocolate.

Back