Skip to main content

General O/T Chit Chat Thead II

Definitely keen for this South Korea trip, just today I was having some filler and the nurse suggested using a cannula to get some into my tear troughs. A new development. Guess I am looking old. Also I hurt my back by merely standing up so I am also feeling old.

It must be fascinating to live in an area that relies so heavily on international tourism and to have seen the rapid decline in the past two years. As amazing as it is that people are able to travel and holiday again and of course see their loved ones, I’m particularly pleased for the developing countries where so many residents livelihoods depend on tourists.
I didn't get to see it happen in Siem Reap, as I was living in Phnom Penh until three months ago. SR has been (understandably) devastated by the desertion though. Lots of closed down hotels, restaurants/bars, container markets etc. Would have been the worst for all of the businesses who paid rent (especially the hotels) who would have lost massive deposits/bonds and probably just had to walk away. And now it's coming into the rainy season the numbers of arrivals has dwindled again.

Obviously in PP lots of hotels, bars and restaurants closed down too, but it's not a tourist destination like SR is. The hotel where my friend liked to stay in PP sold off their furniture and closed down, after initially trying to rent out the rooms monthly for just US$300 after Covid hit. It was a beautiful place too.

Ok so apologise for being a bit self indulgent here (because as you know I'm never like that), but I found a bunch of my old idents and clips I used to use when I streamed BB back in the day for overseas viewers. The resolution was very low because I had bugger all upstream bandwidth in 2007. Let me know if you recognise any of these:

First up a filler ident loop while waiting for a show to start:

t-vision presents BB:

ZOMG BB is imminent!

And this cute cartoon I matched up with a kiwi song from 1972, used as a filler:

Last edited:
I didn't get to see it happen in Siem Reap, as I was living in Phnom Penh until three months ago. SR has been (understandably) devastated by the desertion though. Lots of closed down hotels, restaurants/bars, container markets etc. Would have been the worst for all of the businesses who paid rent (especially the hotels) who would have lost massive deposits/bonds and probably just had to walk away. And now it's coming into the rainy season the numbers of arrivals has dwindled again.

Obviously in PP lots of hotels, bars and restaurants closed down too, but it's not a tourist destination like SR is. The hotel where my friend liked to stay in PP sold off their furniture and closed down, after initially trying to rent out the rooms monthly for just US$300 after Covid hit. It was a beautiful place too.

Very interesting and sad, and I guess the same story all around the world. Hopefully what is left can recover come the dry season.

Very interesting and sad, and I guess the same story all around the world. Hopefully what is left can recover come the dry season.
Yeah I think Cambodian people are pretty resilient, and not afraid to 'give it a go'. And on the upside we can look forward to a fresh array of bars and restaurants from here on in.

One interesting business venture in PP along the street from my place was a small shop that installed disco lights and a bunch of mini-tramps, and were charging $2 an hour for people to bounce. They only lasted a few months (unsurprisingly). Another failure was a tiny corner shop that someone opened a Circle K (convenience store) in. They probably would have done better if they'd just sold alcohol. It was just too small. But as I said, people are resilient. If something doesn't work, they just try something else.

Definitely keen for this South Korea trip, just today I was having some filler and the nurse suggested using a cannula to get some into my tear troughs. A new development. Guess I am looking old. Also I hurt my back by merely standing up so I am also feeling old.
I have been using cannula for a few years, it’s much safer especially in that area, but I don’t really do tear trough you get maybe a 40-60% improvement, and for the risk involved it’s not overly worth it imo

I have been using cannula for a few years, it’s much safer especially in that area, but I don’t really do tear trough you get maybe a 40-60% improvement, and for the risk involved it’s not overly worth it imo

Interesting, I don’t even know if I knew about this method but I guess I am only ever on the receiving end, it felt so intriguing though and I wanted to watch it. This was my first time doing tear troughs and I feel like I noticed a difference the next day but it’s already gone. Is there actually any way to target this area? Since it’s my new insecurity. Kind of just hoping cheek filler helps.

Interesting, I don’t even know if I knew about this method but I guess I am only ever on the receiving end, it felt so intriguing though and I wanted to watch it. This was my first time doing tear troughs and I feel like I noticed a difference the next day but it’s already gone. Is there actually any way to target this area? Since it’s my new insecurity. Kind of just hoping cheek filler helps.
Cheek definitely helps as projection from peri orbital rim.

Depends why you are getting this area done, the concern? Is it sunken?

Cheek definitely helps as projection from peri orbital rim.

Depends why you are getting this area done, the concern? Is it sunken?

Well honestly I didn’t think it was too bad. I don’t have the dark circles that I can see so yeah I guess it is sunken. The perils of ageing, definitely accelerated by a child.

I think it's time I change my avatar on here, yet it has been my avatar forever. At the time it was just some dumb picture I took in a bar of the worst urinal placement. Now I cringe at it. Yet I know for consistency, the same avatar is useful in people know it's me.

I think it's time I change my avatar on here, yet it has been my avatar forever. At the time it was just some dumb picture I took in a bar of the worst urinal placement. Now I cringe at it. Yet I know for consistency, the same avatar is useful in people know it's me.
Oooh. What’s something that will still scream “up_all_night” ??

I’ve gone through a few avatars here.

I understand - I actually like taking photos and this is one place I don't have one of my own photos as my avatar. But I have had this pic for so long (I don't even know where I got it!) that it has just stuck.

Well honestly I didn’t think it was too bad. I don’t have the dark circles that I can see so yeah I guess it is sunken. The perils of ageing, definitely accelerated by a child.
You had tear trough already? I’d go mid face too!

I think you know the only answer to that.

View attachment 58382

The name actually was music related but no, not One Direction. It was after the song "Up All Night" by the rock band Unwritten Law.

Oooh. What’s something that will still scream “up_all_night” ??

I’ve gone through a few avatars here.

That's the other questions, wtf would I change it to?

It will end up being something I find amusing to look at, that will probably mean nothing to anyone else. The few times my stupid avatar came up people didn't even notice how ridiculous the placement of the urinals were.

Maybe I'll just take a character from Community or Always Sunny in Philedelphia.

While my instinct is Dennis yelling, maybe I'll go Nightman or Dayman. As I can tennously draw a link to my username. It'll stand out as unqiue and I will have no idea if people get the refference or not.

tumblr_inline_p8oix1HSx91r2o9ev_500.png

I understand - I actually like taking photos and this is one place I don't have one of my own photos as my avatar. But I have had this pic for so long (I don't even know where I got it!) that it has just stuck.

I also like photography, although since the pandemic it's gone a bit eh. I recently got some great shots of great white sharks. Went scuba diving in a cage with them. Yet if I put one as my profile pic, I feel like no one would know I took it and that would annoy me.

We were talking about Canadian accents a little while ago and I found two really great examples of the west vs east accent. Some of you said a tell for Canadians the word out...

Norm - He has what I would consider to be a very lite eastern sounding accent. His "ou" sounds are very pronounced.

Sharla - Is from the west coast and has more of an American sounding accent. Her "ou" sounds aren't as pronounced.

You had tear trough already? I’d go mid face too!

I’m genuinely unsure if I’ve actually had tear trough or not. My most recent cheek filler was extended to my tear troughs so I would say yes, but it wasn’t a separate procedure and I don’t feel like any extra mls were included but maybe? But yeah maybe I’ll just work my way down the face.

Back