Skip to main content

General O/T Chit Chat Thead II

Funny story….
I saw Hamilton in Sydney when it first opened. I had pretty decent seats, about 5th or 6th row, centre, in the stalls. I went with a group of friends. Sitting next to me was a sharply dressed young man who appeared to be there by himself. Anyway before the show started I was chatting away with my friends and looking through the programme. I can’t even remember what it was, but at one point I asked a question and the guy sitting next to me leant over and answered my question. The second was about swings in the play and the guy again answers me. I asked him if he knew anyone in the play, he says he knows one of the swings.
The play starts and let’s just say I was like a kid in a candy shop, I was so excited to finally be seeing Hamilton and this guys excitement was through the roof also. We were encouraging each other to cheer louder etc.
Interval time… something made me think he knew more than he was letting on so I ask what he does. He says he works at an autistic school. We got chatting as I am a disability support worker. It was still bugging me, so I ask him if he has worked in the industry. He says “in a kind of a way”
Anyway. After the show, standing ovation and we are chatting about how amazing everything was. I finally decide to come straight out with it. I say, what exactly do/did you do in the industry? He sheepishly replies that he’s kind of a stage actor. I say that’s really cool and he explains that covid shut everything down so that’s why he was working in an autistic school. So I ask him if he has any projects coming up as this was after the first lockdown and things were starting to open up. He goes “ahh yeah…..” and being the annoying nosey person I am I push further and ask what. So he finally tells me he is in Moulin Rouge.
At that stage I didn’t know a professional show was coming (at that stage to Melbourne first) and assumed he was probably in the ensemble of a local production.
So I tell him that’s really cool and we both thank each other for helping make the Hamilton experience more fun, he introduces himself as Des and we go on our merry way.

On the way home my housemate asks me about my conversation with the other guy sitting next to me. He then googled moulin rouge and Des and we discover that his name is Des Flanagan and he is playing Christian in the upcoming professional production of Moulin Rouge! Haha I was stoked.

I DMed him on Insta and say “woah dude you are CHRISTIAN in MOULIN ROUGE” haha. He replies yep that’s me.

I was planning to try to go to MR when it was in Melbourne but further lockdowns and border closure uncertainties made it difficult. So I’m happy it’s now in Sydney and I get to see Des and cast do their stuff!
What an utterly charming story & so very Aussie to be so humble. I loved that Movie & can't wait to see it on stage. What are some other musicals people love. I'm partial to Secret Garden because my daughter & I watched it both as a family & again when I was divorced. We can sing all the songs

What an utterly charming story & so very Aussie to be so humble. I loved that Movie & can't wait to see it on stage. What are some other musicals people love. I'm partial to Secret Garden because my daughter & I watched it both as a family & again when I was divorced. We can sing all the songs
Yeah he seemed really humble which makes me excited to finally see him be the star the show!

Wicked is my all time fave, I’ve seen professional productions of it it somewhere north of 35 times, I’ve honestly lost count. Love the classics like Phantom and Les Mis. Can watch those over and over!
I haven’t seen Secret Garden.

Worst by far was Doctor Zhivago. Very confusing and boring. Debuted in Sydney and didn’t go anywhere else as far as I know , so obviously didn’t do too well

Yeah he seemed really humble which makes me excited to finally see him be the star the show!

Wicked is my all time fave, I’ve seen professional productions of it it somewhere north of 35 times, I’ve honestly lost count. Love the classics like Phantom and Les Mis. Can watch those over and over!
I haven’t seen Secret Garden.

Worst by far was Doctor Zhivago. Very confusing and boring. Debuted in Sydney and didn’t go anywhere else as far as I know , so obviously didn’t do too well
Wicked is wonderful & of course, even Chorus line...really I'm pressed to find any I don't like lol (haven't seen Zhivago) I went to an ordinary (not performing arts) high school We did Oklahoma as well as singing this to our parents at graduation Not a dry eye

Oh well funny you say that because apparently sunlight laundry soap is good for acne. Thankfully I don’t get too many pimples, but I am still sort of curious but also scared to try it.

My recent trip down memory lane with “the clique” reminded me how lovely and amazing he was!

You summoned me with lovely and amazing 😂

So good! have seen amazing results. I don't do it personally, I just do injectables, but a clinic I work at does it, takes a few rounds, but its really good

Ooh interesting. Ok, well this might be enough to convince me, thanks! I do worry I’m too lazy to commit to multiple rounds though.

Ooh interesting. Ok, well this might be enough to convince me, thanks! I do worry I’m too lazy to commit to multiple rounds though.
Its usually around 3 rounds, depending on area, but its good, I personally am more into pdo threads, only cos I do it ;)

Back