Skip to main content

Game of Thrones *may include spoilers*

The Iron Bank issue has an other world ring to it for me. With Tommen as king the Lannisters are technically in control of the 7 kingdoms now, right? So where does this bank gets its money and power? Maybe its explained more in the books but just from watching these shows it makes no sense to me that there is a bank that can push the Lannisters around.

I would assume, and I know as little as John Snow. I assume not everyone in the GOT world wants power the same way as people like the Lannisters or Littlefinger. So the idea that there's the Iron Bank and whoever runs that have a lot of money but are not power players or interested in wars and lands can make sense.

And my beautiful Queen of Dragons. There are THREE dragons on this show, and we didn't get to even see one. Where were they when she was having her counsel meetings? Don't give me dragons and then take them away... Excited to see what Dani has in store for those slave owners. A little dragon fire might go a long way in setting examples;)

Look at it this way, the less money they spend on Dragons doing nothing in a scene, is more money they can spend on Dragons doing awesome stuff in later episodes.

The Iron Bank issue has an other world ring to it for me. With Tommen as king the Lannisters are technically in control of the 7 kingdoms now, right? So where does this bank gets its money and power? Maybe its explained more in the books but just from watching these shows it makes no sense to me that there is a bank that can push the Lannisters around.

Yeah it hasn't really been explained well in the TV show so I'll give you a brief overview. :p Also this ain't spoilers it's just exposition.

First thing you need to know is the Iron Bank is in no way related to the Iron Throne despite the similarities in name. (thanks GRRM) It's based in Braavos and is the largest, most powerful bank in the world. They loan money to people, cities and kingdoms all over the world and are known for their relentless pursuit of all debts. Basically...

The Iron Bank will have its due.

I am not digging some of these TV variations. Lannisters lacking gold and Stannis already being involved with the bank are sort of annoying. At least they are staying the course with Dany's hypocrisy and style of ruling, but Emilia Clarke isn't really doing it for me lately. She nailed it in season one, but not lately.

I am not digging some of these TV variations. Lannisters lacking gold and Stannis already being involved with the bank are sort of annoying. At least they are staying the course with Dany's hypocrisy and style of ruling, but Emilia Clarke isn't really doing it for me lately. She nailed it in season one, but not lately.

What you mean by Danny's hypocrisy? She's a bit naive sure but I'm not sure I'd say she's a hypocrite.

What you mean by Danny's hypocrisy? She's a bit naive sure but I'm not sure I'd say she's a hypocrite.

The scene where she nails the slavers to the cross. She nails exactly the same number of slavers to the crosses as children nailed to crosses. She said she would answer injustice with justice, but she had no idea exactly how many slavers were involved in that atrocity. Were there more or less? Did all of them have a hand in that? In that case she let people escape justice. If there were less that means she punished people for crimes they had no hand in.

If you are looking for vengeance just say so, don't be a hypocrite and call it justice because it is not. Its a good bit of the story and I am glad they didn't try and clean it up the way they have Cersei.

To use a book example, Stannis only gelds the men who actually commit rape in his army. He does not geld 5 men if 5 women were raped by 3 soldiers.

The scene where she nails the slavers to the cross. She nails exactly the same number of slavers to the crosses as children nailed to crosses. She said she would answer injustice with justice, but she had no idea exactly how many slavers were involved in that atrocity. Were there more or less? Did all of them have a hand in that? In that case she let people escape justice. If there were less that means she punished people for crimes they had no hand in.

If you are looking for vengeance just say so, don't be a hypocrite and call it justice because it is not. Its a good bit of the story and I am glad they didn't try and clean it up the way they have Cersei.

To use a book example, Stannis only gelds the men who actually commit rape in his army. He does not geld 5 men if 5 women were raped by 3 soldiers.

Yeah I see what you're saying but for me the fact they're slavers means they're already guilty whether they were directly involved or not in the mile markers.

Yeah I see what you're saying but for me the fact they're slavers means they're already guilty whether they were directly involved or not in the mile markers.

As slavers they are guilty and therefore deserve punishment. But to shout about justice and then randomly select people for that specific punishment based on a crime they may have had no hand in (or more may have had a hand in) is total hypocrisy. That's like picking Jaime for punishment based on Joffrey killing Ned. Just because he is a Lannister (slaver) does not make him guilty of that particular crime. He has other crimes that should result in punishment, but not that one.

Anyway, I like the fact they have stuck to making Dany's rule a very questionable one. They have generally whitewashed bad moments and flaws from characters like Tyrion, Cersei and Shae to make them more likable.

As slavers they are guilty and therefore deserve punishment. But to shout about justice and then randomly select people for that specific punishment based on a crime they may have had no hand in (or more may have had a hand in) is total hypocrisy. That's like picking Jaime for punishment based on Joffrey killing Ned. Just because he is a Lannister (slaver) does not make him guilty of that particular crime. He has other crimes that should result in punishment, but not that one.

Anyway, I like the fact they have stuck to making Dany's rule a very questionable one. They have generally whitewashed bad moments and flaws from characters like Tyrion, Cersei and Shae to make them more likable.

Eugh Shae is the worst no one should like her.

I hear that, but its a different unlikable to the books. Especially the last season finale.

I wouldn't really know how she was in the book as I often skipped Tyrion's part but I definitely did not like what I saw on the show. All she ever did was moan and cry over how much she loves Tyrion and how mean he was for not being with her. I mean honestly bitch he's trying to save you sorry arse so back the fuck off!

I wouldn't really know how she was in the book as I often skipped Tyrion's part but I definitely did not like what I saw on the show. All she ever did was moan and cry over how much she loves Tyrion and how mean he was for not being with her. I mean honestly bitch he's trying to save you sorry arse so back the fuck off!

Its almost totally the opposite. She is a very obvious goldigger, who was using him and you pretty much knew she had no feelings for him and he was being a moron. I imagine they would have to change the key arc Shae had (hands of gold and all that) because it doesn't fit with a Shae that refused money to stay with Tyrion.

But I think they put in the actual feelings to make her more likable to the audience. She was more than happy for him to do Sansa in the books and just be her (well kept) whore. But like you said they replaced it with a lot of bitchiness and moaning.

Its almost totally the opposite. She is a very obvious goldigger, who was using him and you pretty much knew she had no feelings for him and he was being a moron. I imagine they would have to change the key arc Shae had (hands of gold and all that) because it doesn't fit with a Shae that refused money to stay with Tyrion.

But I think they put in the actual feelings to make her more likable to the audience. She was more than happy for him to do Sansa in the books and just be her (well kept) whore. But like you said they replaced it with a lot of bitchiness and moaning.

I kinda wish they had made it that in the show as I could at least understand and respect her decision to be a gold digger. It was so frustrating to me that being a prozzie she obviously knows how the world works yet she expected him to do the impossible.

I kinda wish they had made it that in the show as I could at least understand and respect her decision to be a gold digger. It was so frustrating to me that being a prozzie she obviously knows how the world works yet she expected him to do the impossible.

I could respect that. But I think the producers decided that giving her actual feelings for Tyrion and Sansa would make her more likable.

God knows why. There are already too many characters in the show as it is. It's impossible to keep track of the major ones let alone bit players like Shae who are of little consequence in the grand scheme of things I presume. I haven't read the books (not much of a fantasy buff) but I can't imagine her character having a significant impact in the story lines.

Ummmm, have I missed something? Cersei is likable? Really?

*Note to self: knock off the wine on Monday nights*

They have provided her with more likable traits, sympathetic scenes and she is slightly more competent than in the books. In the books there is none of that, she loves her children but uses them for her own purposes. She completely ignored Joffrey's psychotic tendencies and was known to torture Tyrion when he was a small child.

I am glad they touched on my point in the show, sort of. Didn't go far enough with it and put it in the mouth of a total scumbag, but I'll take whatever I can get.

I didn't think it was possible for me to hate Shae any more but it is! What was she thinking being such a vindictive bitch. Argh. Who's Tyrion going to choose as his champion?

Poor Theon he really is screwed. I was worried for a moment they were going to show us everything when he was having his bath.

Shae was more than likely bought and/or threatened/coerced by the Lannisters to give that testimony as well as Bronn who was the one that brought Shae to Cersei and Tywin I presume. Tyrion did tell her on numerous occasions how dangerous his family was, Tywin in particular but the girl wouldn't listen. Nobody could accuse Shae of having any brains.

Back