Skip to main content

Game of Thrones *may include spoilers*

Yes, realised now that they weren't taking liberties with Jon Snow.

Not read the books but on screen at least Dorne seems to have the potential to be interesting, probably because we don't know much about it, but also because it seems to be the only real civilisation to rival Kings Landing. Arya Stark's story hasn't really interested me at all - really don't understand the point of her ending up where she has.

Yes, realised now that they weren't taking liberties with Jon Snow.

Not read the books but on screen at least Dorne seems to have the potential to be interesting, probably because we don't know much about it, but also because it seems to be the only real civilisation to rival Kings Landing. Arya Stark's story hasn't really interested me at all - really don't understand the point of her ending up where she has.

Not since season 2. Although the ending had to change a bit. His connection to Satannis (its not Stannis) meant change was needed.

Did they give Dorne a city, I thought that was just the Water Gardens? Books Dorne does not have a city (there are only 5 in Westeros). Its mostly desert and the least populated.

Fuck this show and fuck these writers. If they wanted to create a villain, they should have just done so with an original character. Don't bastardize Stannis to the point he is unrecognisable. Useless.

I was totally Team Stannis, but as Brienne reminded me - he kinda killed Renly. Pretty sure that happened in the book as well.

Anyhoo, out of frustration, I've been reading a lot all over the place. Some things that helped were:
- Dany being surrounded by Dothraki - they will join her army and she will finally move onto Westeros
- Jon's eye colour changed in the final scene and Ghost was nowhere to be seen - apparently this should give me hope
- George R. R. Martin is apparently going to get the next book done before next season

I'm hoping there is a bigger purpose to Ayra's storyline in Braavos.

I was totally Team Stannis, but as Brienne reminded me - he kinda killed Renly. Pretty sure that happened in the book as well.

Anyhoo, out of frustration, I've been reading a lot all over the place. Some things that helped were:
- Dany being surrounded by Dothraki - they will join her army and she will finally move onto Westeros
- Jon's eye colour changed in the final scene and Ghost was nowhere to be seen - apparently this should give me hope
- George R. R. Martin is apparently going to get the next book done before next season

I'm hoping there is a bigger purpose to Ayra's storyline in Braavos.

Renly was a traitor. He turned on Stannis first. He was going to kill Stannis. Stannis was the eldest brother, he was Roberts legal heir and Renly wanted the throne because of his ego. He had no right to it and somehow got it into his head that somehow Stannis had wronged him and he had the right to be king.

In the books it was also vague whether Stannis knew what happened to Renly. Stannis sent Mel to kill one of his bannermen who betrayed him in the book, not his brother. It was also made clear how much he mourned Renly.

Also, Stannis would never kill Shireen. She is his legal heir and Kinslaying is against all the laws of gods and men. You know, that and he loves her. Before the battle of Winterfell (books) he made sure to tell his men that they will continue to fight in Shireen's name even if he dies. Also, he is a brilliant commander who would not have had his ass handed to him by goddamn Ramsay, who only had goddamn 20 men!

This was more ranty than I meant, but its not Stannis. Nothing like him.

What's the word?
Vlah, Vhal something...

I presume that is 'Giddy up' in Valryan

In regards to Stannis fate in the show, I'm sorry SES but that's what you get for easily being led astray by a red witch whore.

Don't know if this is part of the book canon but murdering his own flesh and blood to gain the throne was the last straw. Stannis got what he deserved although we don't know if Brienne actually killed the power hungry bastard.

Last edited:
Vlah, Vhal something...

I presume that is 'Giddy up' in Valryan

In regards to Stannis fate in the show, I'm sorry SES but that's what you get for easily being led astray by a red witch whore.

Don't know if this is part of the book canon but murdering his own flesh and blood to gain the throne was the last straw. Stannis got what he deserved although we don't know if Brienne actually killed the power hungry bastard.

Never heard it before. But they actually invented a language for the show, where in the books the only Valaryian was "Vhlar Morgulis" every two pages.

Hey, I'm with you. Fuck him. But to me, that ain't Stannis. Not even close. Stannis is about justice and the law. The only people he let Mel burn in the books were his soldiers, who ate their dead because they were starving. Dick move, but cannibalism is against the law. Plus, he gelded his soldiers for raping wildlings (only 2 soldiers did that). Justice. Killing your innocent daughter? Not justice, not Stannis.

This is like when they made Godzilla in 1998. It was not Gozilla, just some dumb lizard.

Never heard it before. But they actually invented a language for the show, where in the books the only Valaryian was "Vhlar Morgulis" every two pages.

Hey, I'm with you. Fuck him. But to me, that ain't Stannis. Not even close. Stannis is about justice and the law. The only people he let Mel burn in the books were his soldiers, who ate their dead because they were starving. Dick move, but cannibalism is against the law. Plus, he gelded his soldiers for raping wildlings (only 2 soldiers did that). Justice. Killing your innocent daughter? Not justice, not Stannis.

This is like when they made Godzilla in 1998. It was not Gozilla, just some dumb lizard.

Never heard it before.

You are watching the show, right? Or is the show fan fiction (sort of as they're now moving into their own separate canon from the books) upsetting you that much that you've stopped watching altogether? :p

I thought as much. Which makes wonder how the books will differ from the show once Martin gets around to finish writing them. I can't imagine that Martin will follow the lead of the show creators, it's inevitable at this point that the 2 mediums will form their own distinct story lines from this point onwards.

You are watching the show, right? Or is the show fan fiction (sort of as they're now moving into their own separate canon from the books) upsetting you that much that you've stopped watching altogether? :p
I would, but I liked the Batman live action fan film better than TDKR :D

Honestly its sort of like Man of Steel. Its a fine movie on its own, but if you are a Superman fan, its horribly depressing. Maybe worse, because I can at least go watch a good live action Superman. I can't watch a good live action Stannis.

I thought as much. Which makes wonder how the books will differ from the show once Martin gets around to finish writing them. I can't imagine that Martin will follow the lead of the show creators, it's inevitable at this point that the 2 mediums will form their own distinct story lines from this point onwards.

I don't think so. He told them the basic finish, in case he dies. I knew things would be different, but I was hoping it would be more like Hannibal (the series, not the movie). They changed/added a lot and its still an awesome show, even though I loved the books.

I wonder how he feels about the more drastic changes, since he spent so long saying "no" to producers who wanted to buy the rights. He seemed non-committal (political) about the Cersei/Jaime rape. He probably doesn't care. I wouldn't, and if I did, I'd just look at my bank account.

I would, but I liked the Batman live action fan film better than TDKR :D

Honestly its sort of like Man of Steel. Its a fine movie on its own, but if you are a Superman fan, its horribly depressing. Maybe worse, because I can at least go watch a good live action Superman. I can't watch a good live action Stannis.

I don't think so. He told them the basic finish, in case he dies. I knew things would be different, but I was hoping it would be more like Hannibal (the series, not the movie). They changed/added a lot and its still an awesome show, even though I loved the books.

I wonder how he feels about the more drastic changes, since he spent so long saying "no" to producers who wanted to buy the rights. He seemed non-committal (political) about the Cersei/Jaime rape. He probably doesn't care. I wouldn't, and if I did, I'd just look at my bank account.

That's fair enough SES, you're clearly part of the original target audience that the books were aimed at and hence care a lot more about the particulars and details of the stories that take place in them whether it's in the books or on the show. :cool:

I went into GoT TV series without any real expectations given that high fantasy genre is something that I usually steer well away from. It was a huge surprise to me that I ended up enjoying it as much as I did.

But I'll admit that I'm quite happy that we've caught up with the book readers and gone past them in certain story arcs. I found it difficult at times to stomach some of the smugness they displayed in online discussions pretending to speculate at some plot development when they knew all along what was going down. :thumbsdown:

And now that the show is moving into uncharted waters they don't have ammunition to go around acting like tossers. :thumbsup:

That's somewhat alarming though. Many fans of the show and novels were pretty sure Jon Snow would play a significant role at the end since it was strongly hinted throughout that he was the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar, the off spring of both ice and fire. And now that's he's apparently dead that has left a sour taste among fans who feel let down and deceived.

Last edited:
I'm not even a big Stannis fan and I dislike how they've portrayed him in the show (without even watching the newest season yet). He never came off as power hungry in the books, at least not to me. He seemed completely rigid and in line with what was expected of him, and what he was supposed to do. Like he was only becoming King because he was next in line, and Cersei's children should not have been on the throne, not because he particularly wanted or cared for it.

Is Harington not filming next season? How come people don't think he's coming back? (Other than the looking dead thing).

That's fair enough SES, you're clearly part of the original target audience that the books were aimed at and hence care a lot more about the particulars and details of the stories that take place in them whether it's in the books or on the show. :cool:

I went into GoT TV series without any real expectations given that high fantasy genre is something that I usually steer well away from. It was a huge surprise to me that I ended up enjoying it as much as I did.

But I'll admit that I'm quite happy that we've caught up with the book readers and gone past them in certain story arcs. I found it difficult at times to stomach some of the smugness they displayed in online discussions pretending to speculate at some plot development when they knew all along what was going down. :thumbsdown:

And now that the show is moving into uncharted waters they don't have ammunition to go around acting like tossers. :thumbsup:
Actually, I watched the first season and liked it so much, I thought I would give the books a look. That's why its weird how my opinion has changed. I liked Jon waaay more after reading the books, because he is so much more badass. Watching the first season, he comes off as whiny and Kit Harrington is a very average actor, but I did not care. Watching the 2nd season, after reading, was annoying.

That's another reason I probably won't watch. I can't act smug and superior anymore ;)

That's somewhat alarming though. Many fans of the show and novels were pretty sure Jon Snow would play a significant role at the end since it was strongly hinted throughout that he was the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar, the off spring of both ice and fire. And now that's he's apparently dead that has left a sour taste among fans who feel let down and deceived.

Given that their "death scenes" are pretty much the same (different circumstances) I am still betting that Jon is not dead (or will be coming back). Especially since Mel found her way back to the wall.

R+L=J is pretty close to canon. But its not really a big deal in the show, so maybe it will be like Tyrion's wife or zombie Catelyn in the show, and they will just cut it. I would find it hard to see, but I thought Tyrion/Jaime/Tysha would still be a thing and I was wrong.

Oh, I'm thinking Sansa and Theon will walk out of a snow drift and I'm hoping that Melisandre revives Jon Snow and then dies as dreadful a death as Shireen. And then bloody Ramsay gets publicly disinherited again and becomes a plaything for a white walker.

Please, Santa. Make it come true. I've been a good girl.

Actually, I watched the first season and liked it so much, I thought I would give the books a look. That's why its weird how my opinion has changed. I liked Jon waaay more after reading the books, because he is so much more badass. Watching the first season, he comes off as whiny and Kit Harrington is a very average actor, but I did not care. Watching the 2nd season, after reading, was annoying.

That's another reason I probably won't watch. I can't act smug and superior anymore ;)

Given that their "death scenes" are pretty much the same (different circumstances) I am still betting that Jon is not dead (or will be coming back). Especially since Mel found her way back to the wall.

R+L=J is pretty close to canon. But its not really a big deal in the show, so maybe it will be like Tyrion's wife or zombie Catelyn in the show, and they will just cut it. I would find it hard to see, but I thought Tyrion/Jaime/Tysha would still be a thing and I was wrong.

You know that wasn't directed at you, you've been fine in that regard SES. :angelic: But other book readers who post on other places dedicated to the show haven't shown the same restraint. I have no idea what they're trying to prove with their silly childish shenanigans as most non book readers can see right through them, it's pretty lame.

You know that wasn't directed at you, you've been fine in that regard SES. :angelic: But other book readers who post on other places dedicated to the show haven't shown the same restraint. I have no idea what they're trying to prove with their silly childish shenanigans as most non book readers can see right through them, it's pretty lame.

It is weird. They even mention it in the Honest Trailer of GOT. Its not like they have done anything special by reading the books that make them better.

Oh this behaviour goes all the way back to Season 1 SES, way before you even knew about the books let alone read them. ;)

@Straight Edge Society

George R.R. Martin Says This Character Is Still Alive in the Books
Aug. 27, 2015
6a010ce717a0e5752a06c88e8672b21f3e735dae8f7b765814fc94c4d012c8d23b17a8f8008bc9abf5d2db3fca167f5a.jpeg

Helen Sloan—HBO Stephen Dillane as Stannis Baratheon in Game of Thrones
Spoilers for both A Song of Ice and Fire and Game of Thrones ahead
Long live King Stannis. According to George R.R. Martin, the supposedly slain Baratheon is still alive — at least in the books.

Taking a (hopefully short) break from writing The Winds of Winter, writer George R.R. Martin fielded fan questions on LiveJournal Wednesday. When one enthusiast asked the author to “cut the crap” and confirm whether Stannis was dead or alive, Martin wrote: “In my books? Alive beyond a doubt.”

Stannis is currently presumed dead in both the show Game of Thrones and the Song of Ice and Fire books upon which the HBO series is based. In the books, Ramsay Snow spread a rumor that Stannis met his demise. But in preview chapters for the upcoming Winds of Winter that Martin posted online way back in 2012, that rumor proved untrue. Stannis is very much alive.

What this means for the onscreen version of Stannis is unclear. The last time fans Game of Thrones saw him, he was about to be killed by Brienne of Tarth. Of course, audiences never actually saw Brienne finish the job.

That doesn’t mean showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss didn’t get rid of the would-be king. The series has diverged in many ways from the books, including killing off Stannis’ daughter, Shireen.

Still, the often-bloody drama rarely shies away from a gruesome death. Any time the camera turns away is cause for suspicion. Fans will eagerly comb the Internet for photos of Stannis actor Stephen Dillane on the Game of Thrones set, just as they search for clues of the survival of The Hound or revival of Jon Snow.

AND

It's often accepted that when an audience isn’t shown the body, it leaves a strong possibility that the character will return. Game of Thrones producer Dan Weiss told Entertainment Weekly in June that “If don’t see the body then they’re not really dead.”

@Straight Edge Society

George R.R. Martin Says This Character Is Still Alive in the Books
Aug. 27, 2015
6a010ce717a0e5752a06c88e8672b21f3e735dae8f7b765814fc94c4d012c8d23b17a8f8008bc9abf5d2db3fca167f5a.jpeg

Helen Sloan—HBO Stephen Dillane as Stannis Baratheon in Game of Thrones
Spoilers for both A Song of Ice and Fire and Game of Thrones ahead
Long live King Stannis. According to George R.R. Martin, the supposedly slain Baratheon is still alive — at least in the books.

Taking a (hopefully short) break from writing The Winds of Winter, writer George R.R. Martin fielded fan questions on LiveJournal Wednesday. When one enthusiast asked the author to “cut the crap” and confirm whether Stannis was dead or alive, Martin wrote: “In my books? Alive beyond a doubt.”

Stannis is currently presumed dead in both the show Game of Thrones and the Song of Ice and Fire books upon which the HBO series is based. In the books, Ramsay Snow spread a rumor that Stannis met his demise. But in preview chapters for the upcoming Winds of Winter that Martin posted online way back in 2012, that rumor proved untrue. Stannis is very much alive.

What this means for the onscreen version of Stannis is unclear. The last time fans Game of Thrones saw him, he was about to be killed by Brienne of Tarth. Of course, audiences never actually saw Brienne finish the job.

That doesn’t mean showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss didn’t get rid of the would-be king. The series has diverged in many ways from the books, including killing off Stannis’ daughter, Shireen.

Still, the often-bloody drama rarely shies away from a gruesome death. Any time the camera turns away is cause for suspicion. Fans will eagerly comb the Internet for photos of Stannis actor Stephen Dillane on the Game of Thrones set, just as they search for clues of the survival of The Hound or revival of Jon Snow.

AND

It's often accepted that when an audience isn’t shown the body, it leaves a strong possibility that the character will return. Game of Thrones producer Dan Weiss told Entertainment Weekly in June that “If don’t see the body then they’re not really dead.”

If I'm honest, I still have not watched the last episode (or parts of episode 9). But it does make me more keen for TWOW to be released.

Reactions: Jam
Back