Skip to main content

Format and production thoughts

Yes, and it's lasted for like twenty one seasons so it must be doing something right.
Not with the huge viewer erosion the show has. They will have to change something to keep the show alive in the US in the next 5 years. Perhaps after so many seasons people just become bored with it.

Talking heads are the core narrative device for every reality tv format. It's why the diary room even exists in BB.

In the Ten and Nine versions of BB, we were never shown housemates explaining tasks to us via the diary room like we were children. The diary room was never intended to be used for that purpose but to reveal to us stuff the housemates wouldn't say in front of another housemate and for the audience to get to know the housemates on a deeper level.

Not with the huge viewer erosion the show has. They will have to change something to keep the show alive in the US in the next 5 years. Perhaps after so many seasons people just become bored with it.

Still, it's quite a long time and something they should be proud of I think.

Yes, and it's lasted for like twenty one seasons so it must be doing something right.
I struggle to understand how it's lasted so long. I gave up on it after watching it for four years as I got so bored of it. Every season just felt the same and it's just seems to drag out for soooo long.

I struggle to understand how it's lasted so long. I gave up on it after watching it for four years as I got so bored of it. Every season just felt the same and it's just seems to drag out for soooo long.

I guess it fill a schedule?

"Huge viewer erosion" is pretty misleading because that's happening across the board with all shows due to streaming becoming more of a means for people to watch TV rather than catching shows live as they air on a television. And even with this "huge viewer erosion" the show still wins its timeslot pretty regularly and is a safe choice for CBS to air and draw in viewers. It has enough of a following that it's not going anywhere anytime soon, they don't need to change much and they won't.

In the Ten and Nine versions of BB, we were never shown housemates explaining tasks to us via the diary room like we were children. The diary room was never intended to be used for that purpose but to reveal to us stuff the housemates wouldn't say in front of another housemate and for the audience to get to know the housemates on a deeper level.

That's down to the edit. Narration did exist in the Ten and Nine eras, it's just been transferred from a third party (Goldman) to the HMs themselves.

The diary room serves the exact same function - HM commentary.

Perhaps that’s partly why they only had 1 million viewers last year? lol

But honestly it doesn’t surprise me as from what Ive heard they have modelled a lot off US BB. US BB is even closer to the survivor format.
Missing a few million off your figure there. Big Brother has been a consistently strong summer show for CBS for nearly two decades now - indeed I think it's got relatively stronger in recent years ratings wise.

That's down to the edit. Narration did exist in the Ten and Nine eras, it's just been transferred from a third party (Goldman) to the HMs themselves.

The diary room serves the exact same function - HM commentary.
I would much rather hear Mike Goldman do voice over to be honest.

Though I just thought about the Kieran narration and so on and Sav’s comment about it being explained like we are kids. Perhaps they are trying to attract more of a family crowd & Kieran would most certainly appeal to kids out there.

Still I will say it again: bring back the Mic!!!

I would much rather hear Mike Goldman do voice over to be honest.

Though I just thought about the Kieran narration and so on and Sav’s comment about it being explained like we are kids. Perhaps they are trying to attract more of a family crowd & Kieran would most certainly appeal to kids out there.

Still I will say it again: bring back the Mic!!!
Sonia’s the worst - I hate how every time she opens her mouth it sounds like she’s explaining something to a child. This hasn’t changed, from Nine’s era through to press interviews and Seven’s iteration. It’s awful.

Missing a few million off your figure there. Big Brother has been a consistently strong summer show for CBS for nearly two decades now - indeed I think it's got relatively stronger in recent years ratings wise.
My apologies to you and the others that pointed this out. I was on Wikipedia looking this up the other day and could swear Wikipedia had 1 million viewers for the last season. I am currently on phone and went back to look and it has the last season at 4.38 mil

So I don’t know what I saw!

Wiki Link here

What's the bet they'll end up pre-recording (or dramatically altering plans) for the Finale now that Sydney may get locked down again and Stage 4 restrictions are rumoured to occur in Victoria?

Sonia’s the worst - I hate how every time she opens her mouth it sounds like she’s explaining something to a child. This hasn’t changed, from Nine’s era through to press interviews and Seven’s iteration. It’s awful.

And a very small, and possibly slow child, too. It's really bad.

Sounds like the plan is still to have a live finale with all the housemates being allowed to bring one person to join them at the finale. But the planned after party has been cancelled due to COVID.

this season they seem to constantly do this thing with the editing where everyone is always overhearing conversations.
as a viewer, it's confusing af

eg. 2 housemates will be plotting against housemate A. Without fail, they will cut to a shot of housemate A looking focused/upset nearby, and play suspenseful music. after the convo they will show a clip of housemate A saying something to vaguely imply that they heard what was said about them.

Back