Skip to main content

Format and production thoughts

I think we all knew BB wasn't going to be the tough, stubborn authoritarian he once was. I think they'll keep the 'evil' or zero tolerance BB as a hook for another season or even as a weekly task in future. I think 7 are keeping the format and production very basic in order to build on it for coming seasons. I just hope this starts next season by implementing a veto competition and reforming the eviction format to prevent the episodes from getting stale.

Why? It’s not about following “the yanks”, it’s almost necessary to avoid the show being overly repetitive and to keep the competition unpredictable.
That's why they either give the Nomination or Eviction vote to the public. And yes, that means returning to a "Live" format or at least aired close to the time of filming.

We should just have 2 housemates nominated from the beginning until the end of the series instead of a veto.

Meanwhile Each episode of BB 2020 appears to follow the exact same rundown that is filmed over 2 days:

- Intro shots of the cliffs.
- 15 minute household task.
- 15 minute nominations challenge.
- 5 minute nomination announcement.
- 15 minute eviction scramble.
- 15 minute eviction ceremony.
- 5 minute exit interview.
- End credits.

For next season, I would be quite happy if they just abolish the 15 minute household task and instead show us 15 minutes of the housemates just being housemates.

A major peeve I have is using diary room “confessionals” to tell the story, or retell a story. It’s used in Survivor which is great, but do we really need it in Big Brother?

Do Canadian & US versions do this? I just hate it. Diary room should be a space to reflect, not for a producer to use it to furnish an edit to explain things that they just couldn’t bother looking through the files to locate.. I don’t see this changing though with Amelia etc. but I just wanted to whinge about it.

One example is in the last episode where in the workshop task, Mat elects to work with “thick”. It then cuts to diary room and Kieran explaining that he wanted the housemates to call him “thick” so that they don’t see him as a liar and a cheater. Classic Big Brother would actually show us the scene where that happened. But I suppose that happened on a crew day off and nobody knows where to find it.

Last edited:
A major peeve I have is using diary room “confessionals” to tell the story
Yes, like Kieran in the DR explaining to Big Brother what the task is. Like Big Brother doesn't know? And we also already know what the task is because they literally just showed us that. It's ridiculous and incredibly annoying.

What did she say? 7news videos refuse to play. Except for the promo ad that precedes it. :rolleyes: O_O
It’s basically all summarised in the article.

She knows the viewing audience and celebs are keen for an all stars or celeb edition, and that the new format is kinda perfect for it.

Channel Nine is using 9Now to get people to vote for The Voice winner. This is likely how the BB winner will be decided as well via 7plus.

A major peeve I have is using diary room “confessionals” to tell the story, or retell a story. It’s used in Survivor which is great, but do we really need it in Big Brother?

Do Canadian & US versions do this? I just hate it. Diary room should be a space to reflect, not for a producer to use it to furnish an edit to explain things that they just couldn’t bother looking through the files to locate.. I don’t see this changing though with Amelia etc. but I just wanted to whinge about it.

One example is in the last episode where in the workshop task, Mat elects to work with “thick”. It then cuts to diary room and Kieran explaining that he wanted the housemates to call him “thick” so that they don’t see him as a liar and a cheater. Classic Big Brother would actually show us the scene where that happened. But I suppose that happened on a crew day off and nobody knows where to find it.

From the US seasons I've seen they do the diary room narration a lot.

From the US seasons I've seen they do the diary room narration a lot.
Perhaps that’s partly why they only had 1 million viewers last year? lol

But honestly it doesn’t surprise me as from what Ive heard they have modelled a lot off US BB. US BB is even closer to the survivor format.

Talking heads are the core narrative device for every reality tv format. It's why the diary room even exists in BB.

Perhaps that’s partly why they only had 1 million viewers last year? lol

But honestly it doesn’t surprise me as from what Ive heard they have modelled a lot off US BB. US BB is even closer to the survivor format.

Yes, and it's lasted for like twenty one seasons so it must be doing something right.

Back