Skip to main content

Format and production thoughts

From Tim's stories at the time of filiming it looks like they were informed of it about 3 days before the lockdown, so that works out - even though they've missed the initial announcement. If it's included on Sunday hopefully they do it as a flash back rather than try and edit Hannah out of it.
Also we don't know how this word was passed down to be eventually revealed to the media. For example, it may have been a crew member in passing that said 'there's about 10 housemates still in the house' which got translated as 'there are 10 housemates still in the house". I would not really go so far as calling it "fake news" because of this tiny number.

Do you guys think there's a hairdresser in the house ?

It's day 26 or something like that, and Chad still has what looks like, a well maintained cut... Perhaps it's just an undercut but it does look like somebody with hairdressing skills has been at him.

haircut.PNG

One big problem that I find with this format is that you hardly get to find out anything about the housemates depriving them of the chance of becoming iconic housemates like many of those from the Ten era and some from the Nine era.

Other than Angela and Kieran, I doubt any of the other housemates will be remembered past this season.

One big problem that I find with this format is that you hardly get to find out anything about the housemates depriving them of the chance of becoming iconic housemates like many of those from the Ten era and some from the Nine era.

Other than Angela and Kieran, I doubt any of the other housemates will be remembered past this season.

None of these housemates will be remembered imo.

The reasons for filming pre recorded really aren't justified:
They can make the show family friendly - Can still be done if filming live
They can make better storylines and portray people how they want to - bb was the one show that was meant to be authentic and real, go commission another show, don't slaughter bb and use it just for the name.
Budget - remember reading it really isn't that expensive to produce live, works out cheaper? Unless I remember incorrectly?
Wasted potential imo.

If love island can be filmed live on such a budget i presume, i honestly don't get how hard it would be to film bb live
Its because of Seven. Them freaking out that if it is a live series it wont be Family Friendly as that's their mantra. They are worse than any other network in this regard really. (Ie. Home an Away same sex kiss - perfect example on how they didin't air it)

Personally I think they can still use this format in a "live" 24hr turnaround series, there's nothing really stopping them now. They don't have to have massive eviction shows with crowds. I get that's a factor that may have moved on. However in the digital and social media age I feel they are shooting themselves in the foot with how they can
A - monetise every aspect of the whole series
B - endless content and smash digital rating and revenue targets

They have said this year they have smashed the BVOD ratings beyond the bigger audience on there that they have ever had. Why wouldn't you capitalise on that and take it even further? If they wanted to they could really saturate the market with live streams, heaps of digital content, social media engagement (outside of just showing tweets during the show) and intertwine it in the show. Get the public involved in messing with the housemates nominations. Let the public be involved in rewarding certain housemates, personal challenges, who gets sent to a bunker style room etc.

You can still have that family asset without it being all staged and pre recorded and concocted in an edit suite over months.

There's really a massive list that you can take advantage of this day and age and make a hell of a lot of money out of it. People are on their devices 24/7, why not take advantage of that and give them live and also engaging/involving content that they can participate in? I don't get it personally.

This show has saved the network this year,why not take it to the next level?

Hannah confirmed on the Ben,Rob and Robbo show that they were informed of the Coronavirus whilst she was in there. This may suggest why it was reported there were 10 housemates remaining when the coronavirus stuff happened? Just some confusion regarding whether or not it was the lockdown scenario or if the 2 events were even seperate in occurring.
From Tim's stories at the time of filiming it looks like they were informed of it about 3 days before the lockdown, so that works out - even though they've missed the initial announcement. If it's included on Sunday hopefully they do it as a flash back rather than try and edit Hannah out of it.
I read they were informed re worldwide covid spread off camera. Sweet Jesus. Choices.

The being told they're locking down after crew member possible contact is all we get.
Correct. It seems what we will see on Sunday is only the HMs being told of the production shutdown, not of them finding out about the pandemic for the first time (although the broadcast might make it seem that way). It seems they were told about that a few days earlier, so Hannah and maybe even Angela were there. This aligns with our original theory that the COVID-19 situation was going to air around Episode 11. I imagine that's only when the "off-air" announcement was made.

Sonia revealed more details about the whole thing this morning:

They all need to be forgotten fame whoredom is nothing more than D grade wannabe celebrities, to quote my favourite Aussie Band TISM

Andy Warhol got it right
Everybody gets the lime light
Andy Warhol got it wrong
15 minutes is too long

Reactions: mad
Correct. It seems what we will see on Sunday is only the HMs being told of the production shutdown, not of them finding out about the pandemic for the first time (although the broadcast might make it seem that way). It seems they were told about that a few days earlier, so Hannah and maybe even Angela were there. This aligns with our original theory that the COVID-19 situation was going to air around Episode 11. I imagine that's only when the "off-air" announcement was made.

Interesting how she teased at a CBB season. Seven will be down on RTV content next year, wouldn't suprise me if discussions were happening.. Made me think by mentioning CBB they're trying to throw us of the idea of there being an allstar element next year

Kylie is a fan of Kieran and calls him entertaining? 😂 Tragic.

Sonia quickly mentioned Celebrity Big Brother. Confirmed that will be happening next year?

Interesting how she teased at a CBB season. Seven will be down on RTV content next year, wouldn't suprise me if discussions were happening.. Made me think by mentioning CBB they're trying to throw us of the idea of there being an allstar element next year
Yeah, there's very rarely an interview happening at the moment - podcasts, radio, print and television - where a Celebrity or All Stars season isn't being mentioned in some form. Whether it's just everybody's wishful thinking or not, who knows, but the idea is definitely being thrown out into the universe thick and fast.

And in a new twist, there could be an all-stars element to the game. Our sources say you can expect to see some familiar faces return (and not just from the Channel 7 series).
Rob McKnight's words.
I'm confused how he wrote 'could' expressing doubt in the first sentence, and then 'you can expect' in the second sentence alluding to it actually happening. The second sentence could really mean anything, from a quick 5 minute tribute with past hm's commemorating the 20-year anniversary to all stars actually competing in the game. I'm gonna take his words seriously, cause he was mostly right this year and he would be careful what he posts regarding bb after all the criticism his got.

Its because of Seven. Them freaking out that if it is a live series it wont be Family Friendly as that's their mantra. They are worse than any other network in this regard really. (Ie. Home an Away same sex kiss - perfect example on how they didin't air it)
Is Seven really "family friendly" though. Yes, Home and Away goes out of its way to avoid being Homos and Gays but otherwise I've always found it to be edgier than Neighbours, whilst House Rules may not exactly be offensive but can't see it appealing to a younger audience, and MKR drives on the drama rather than the cookery.

Big Brother on Seven does have many faults but I would say it's edited in a slightly more mature way than it was on Nine,

Article by Tv Tonight states there will still be an eviction on Sunday's ep. Now this really is confusing with how we're gonna have 5 non eviction episodes after this if they're gonna show another 3 days on Sunday.

"Although the game was suspended remote cameras still filmed some group scenes, but the episode eventually backs into the gameplay with yet another eviction by the end. No spoilin"

I've been wondering if because of the previously reported situation where the producer's considered the cast "boring" has something to do with the current format we're seeing. I'm wondering if the original intention was to, like BBUSA, air a cycle of the game as one week. Every day after the eviction, when giving them their task for the day, Big Brother refers to it as the "weekly task" and the housemates were clearly told to refer to each cycle as a week because they're always referencing the next two days as "next week" which just ends up airing as the next episode.

It just feels like what we're getting wasn't the original plan...

Baffling they didn't have early evictees compete to return. Not only does that mean one is evicted twice, adding an episode, they can also have the competition for them to return as the centre piece of an episode, adding another to the count. Pre-recording means they didn't even have to worry too much about keeping them cut off from the outside world.

Last edited:
If as Sonia remarked, she was required every day instead of every second day after the Covid scare, perhaps they had "days off" from competitions to recover, though that depends how tiring they were I guess. So we may as a result, see and episode or two without "challenges".

Back