Skip to main content

Doctor Who

I can't stand the fat teletubby Daleks either, and I too am not keen on all Daleks being able to fly now.
At most some of them should hover.
They were scary enough when they could only shout at you and shoot you, you don't need the rest.

The redesign of the Cybermen was a huge mistake, They went from being sleek and believably humanoid to being basically huge clunky indestructible Transformers. The Cyber-brig was a disrespectful travesty, and the half-human faced Ashad and the like are terrible too.
As are the Time Lord collars.

I can't stand the fat teletubby Daleks either, and I too am not keen on all Daleks being able to fly now.
At most some of them should hover.
They were scary enough when they could only shout at you and shoot you, you don't need the rest.

The redesign of the Cybermen was a huge mistake, They went from being sleek and believably humanoid to being basically huge clunky indestructible Transformers. The Cyber-brig was a disrespectful travesty, and the half-human faced Ashad and the like are terrible too.
As are the Time Lord collars.

…the Cybermen armour redesign made them look like knights from the days of yore… all that was missing was a shield… a lance and a feather on their helmets… he made them look clunky and ridiculous… Moffatt has a lot to answer for… don’t even get me started on the sonic sunglasses… cheers.

Also, while Disney will throw money at it and it will look all bright and shiny, they tend not to let one person have a creative vision.
Which means the show may be made by a committee, of which RTD will only be one part.
There will be a lot of box-ticking to please everyone.
I also don't want to see it generically popular, with Doctor Who stickers and iPhone covers and breakfast cereals available in supermarkets.

Doctor Who is moving to Disney+ outside of the UK.

…if this is true… it sucks balls big time… I’m imagining that Disney will get the first screening rights upon the episodes ‘Live’ release and then it’s screened on ‘free’ TV the next day perhaps?… if so… I can wait to see it the next day… we wait almost a year to see it now… so another day doesn’t matter to me… I refuse to pay to watch a show that I’ve watched for free since I was 10 years old… no way… cheers.

Exclusivity means exclusivity. ABC have now released a statement confirming they won't be showing new episodes.

…**clears throat**… (I never thought that would say this in my lifetime)… DOCTOR WHO CAN GO FUCK THEMSELVES!!!!… I’ve watched it since it’s first ever episode when I was 10 years old… I WILL NOT BE PAYING A DISNEY SUBSCRIPTION TO SEE THE FUCKING SHOW!… cheers.

I understand if you don’t already have Disney plus then this isn’t the best news. But as a current and likely to remain in future subscriber of Disney, I’m happy with this.
It’s been frustrating to run around different services to watch different seasons of Dr Who. I hope this deal means they get the whole back catalogue (well at least NuWho) and it just stays there. Other services have had random series at different times. It will be good to have it all in one place.

Love the throwback “new” logo too.

So basically I'll be forced into subscribing to a service I don't want, to watch one show for a few weeks per year.
Or wait up to a year for the blu-ray release.
…**clears throat**… (I never thought that would say this in my lifetime)… DOCTOR WHO CAN GO FUCK THEMSELVES!!!!… I’ve watched it since it’s first ever episode when I was 10 years old… I WILL NOT BE PAYING A DISNEY SUBSCRIPTION TO SEE THE FUCKING SHOW!… cheers.
I guess you could sail the high seas 🏴‍☠️

;)

…what pisses me off about the Disney deal is that people that can only just afford a TV and can’t afford subscriptions are stuffed!… Dr Who will lose all that fan base of viewers that used to get escapism through the show FOR FREE… I could easily afford it… but I won’t out of principal… it’s a kick in the guts for lowly paid viewers… it’s disgusting!… cheers.😡🤬

I wonder what that means for Australia.
I watch it on ABC iview now, but I don't want to be having to sign up to Disney+.
I have one website where I watch everything. It has shows from Oz, NZ, SA, UK et alia & it has them stripped of commercials. I'm not sure what are the rules about posting websites, so if you message me, I'll tell you. It has vast archives too. Cheers

…what pisses me off about the Disney deal is that people that can only just afford a TV and can’t afford subscriptions are stuffed!… Dr Who will lose all that fan base of viewers that used to get escapism through the show FOR FREE… I could easily afford it… but I won’t out of principal… it’s a kick in the guts for lowly paid viewers… it’s disgusting!… cheers.😡🤬

I have never watched one second of it.

So basically I'll be forced into subscribing to a service I don't want, to watch one show for a few weeks per year.
Or wait up to a year for the blu-ray release.
Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything.

At least with Disney+ you can sign up for a month and then drop it - it's not like in the old days of susbcription TV where you'd have to sign up to Foxtel for a year for it and commit to paying hundreds of dollars. I usually end up with a free trial at least once a year via my phone provider or broadband company and just recently to watch Welcome to Wrexham I paid a whopping total of £2 for the month then cancelled it - you just hold back a bit to sign up to cover the end of the series then catch up on the earlier episodes. It'll cost you much less to subscribe for a month than to buy the Blu-Ray (if they even still release them?).

In terms of this deal and although I'm not a fan of content being removed from FTA TV and ideally the BBC shouldn't be propping up a commercial streaming rival in this case I very much suspect the licencing fee is entirely funding the continuation of Doctor Who, and hence the BBC is able to continue to make it effectively for free. Because in all honesty given the ratings in recent years the BBC shouldn't be spending licence fee money on keeping it going.

Last edited:
Back