Skip to main content

Doctor Who

Who would you have cast?
Someone charismatic. River always came off as someone quirky on paper, but reading quirky lines, rather than being a real funny, cool, strong character.

For example, John Barryman is perfect Capt Jack, because he is so damn cool and attractive. We were supposed to love him, and did. As for recasting River, maybe Lorelei from Gilmore Girls, for the funny side, but not sure if she can be a badarse. Maybe Parvati from Survivor. Hmm. I need to keep thinking.

By the way, if you love Who, you will probably enjoy the new Netflix series Dirk Gently. If you watch it, stick in there til the end. It's only 8 episodes, and it is worth the confusion early on.

Someone charismatic. River always came off as someone quirky on paper, but reading quirky lines, rather than being a real funny, cool, strong character.

For example, John Barryman is perfect Capt Jack, because he is so damn cool and attractive. We were supposed to love him, and did. As for recasting River, maybe Lorelei from Gilmore Girls, for the funny side, but not sure if she can be a badarse. Maybe Parvati from Survivor. Hmm. I need to keep thinking.

By the way, if you love Who, you will probably enjoy the new Netflix series Dirk Gently. If you watch it, stick in there til the end. It's only 8 episodes, and it is worth the confusion early on.

Parvati has one of the best voices ever.

Oh you are so right, Capt Jack is the perfect example of how to get it right...
River is ridiculous, i could never take anything about her seriously, never ever believed any affection from the doctor, it felt like he was dealing with a stubborn child. And the result was i blanked a lot of her and forgot the rest.
River is not a person she is a plot device written appallingly, Moff's biggest flaw.

Now the woman who played Missy, she could have killed at being River, or someone of that ilk.

All this River hate. I love her. Why does she have to be taken seriously?!

Making the champagne appear "disgracefully" - one of her best lines! Haha

I loved her Christmas special last year!

Captain Jack - he is well overdue for a return!!! Fingers crossed he pops up in Season 10 unexpectedly!

Captain Jack - he is well overdue for a return!!! Fingers crossed he pops up in Season 10 unexpectedly!

Totally agree! I love every major character in new Who, there is something there for everyone.

...sadly (for me at least)... it seemed that River Song was a character that The Moff had created which was an experiment such as the Sonic Sunglasses/the big fat cumbersome looking Daleks and the terrible Cybermen's 'updated and upgraded' armoury of their outfits... none of them quite 'clicked' with most people and he soon changed back to the Sonic Screwdriver and went back to the older and more recognisable version of the Daleks thank god... we're still stuck with the newer Cybermen outfit and we seemed stuck with River Song and that godawful "hello sweetie" saying for way too long in my personal opinion at least...

...don't get me wrong... I love Alex Kingston... she's a gorgeous looking woman but she was playing such a crappy character as far as I'm concerned... this might sound a tad bit stupid but I believe that The Moff realised quite early in the piece that the River Song character wasn't quite 'making it' but continued to include her into scripts just to 'prove' to people that he was right and she was an important character in The Doctor's Timeline...

...let me put it this way... if River Song had never been introduced into The Doctor's Timeline it wouldn't have been a big loss really would it?... The Moff had her 'marry' The Doctor for some ridiculous reason that I still can't fathom to this day to be honest... perhaps to 'validate' her character maybe?... who knows I guess... take Captain Jack/Missy and other such characters... their storylines made an impact in The Doctor's Timeline in many ways and sent him in so many different directions in their wakes I believe... River Song didn't in my humble opinion... but meh... maybe it's just me?...lol!...

...anyhow... they're my thoughts on River Song anyway... let's face it... The Moff tried a lot of experiments within the show... some work... some don't... there are a lot of loose ends in the show that will probably never be answered I guess... The Doctor's daughter being one of them... what ever happened to her and some others as kxk mentioned in her post below...

I actually just wanted to post that Moff actually needs to address a few loose ends, all of the immortals floating around need to be accounted for.
Starting with Capt Jack, here, here to your thoughts @Mr Stickyfingers
Doctor's daughter, where is she
Clara is somewhere
Me

Anyone else ? Is the new super hero kid immortal???

...I love Alex Kingston... I don't love River Song... if I ever hear 'Hello Sweetie' uttered on Doctor Who again I will most likely scream my head off and probably break down and cry like a sooky-la-lah!... lol!... cheers.

...sadly (for me at least)... it seemed that River Song was a character that The Moff had created which was an experiment such as the Sonic Sunglasses/the big fat cumbersome looking Daleks and the terrible Cybermen's 'updated and upgraded' armoury of their outfits... none of them quite 'clicked' with most people and he soon changed back to the Sonic Screwdriver and went back to the older and more recognisable version of the Daleks thank god... we're still stuck with the newer Cybermen outfit and we seemed stuck with River Song and that godawful "hello sweetie" saying for way too long in my personal opinion at least...

...don't get me wrong... I love Alex Kingston... she's a gorgeous looking woman but she was playing such a crappy character as far as I'm concerned... this might sound a tad bit stupid but I believe that The Moff realised quite early in the piece that the River Song character wasn't quite 'making it' but continued to include her into scripts just to 'prove' to people that he was right and she was an important character in The Doctor's Timeline...

...let me put it this way... if River Song had never been introduced into The Doctor's Timeline it wouldn't have been a big loss really would it?... The Moff had her 'marry' The Doctor for some ridiculous reason that I still can't fathom to this day to be honest... perhaps to 'validate' her character maybe?... who knows I guess... take Captain Jack/Missy and other such characters... their storylines made an impact in The Doctor's Timeline in many ways and sent him in so many different directions in their wakes I believe... River Song didn't in my humble opinion... but meh... maybe it's just me?...lol!...

...anyhow... they're my thoughts on River Song anyway... let's face it... The Moff tried a lot of experiments within the show... some work... some don't... there are a lot of loose ends in the show that will probably never be answered I guess... The Doctor's daughter being one of them... what ever happened to her and some others as kxk mentioned in her post below...

...I love Alex Kingston... I don't love River Song... if I ever hear 'Hello Sweetie' uttered on Doctor Who again I will most likely scream my head off and probably break down and cry like a sooky-la-lah!... lol!... cheers.

Totally agree with you that there have been a few "mistakes" - especially the teletubby Daleks and the sonic sunglasses (ugh), and I think the new Cybersuits are too "chunky" and not particularly menacing.

I do love River Song, but I'd be happy to see her "rested" now, maybe a return appearance one day, but Missy sits more comfortably as the recurring female counterpart now.

Please make this story Doctor, pretty please

1grtio.jpg

Peter-Capaldi-selfie-main_tcm25-421439.jpg

Peter Capaldi accepts Guinness World Records title for Largest gathering of Doctor Who characters at Comic Con event in Mexico = 492

Dr-Who-gathering_tcm25-421442.jpg

Dr-Who-gathering-2_tcm25-421441.jpg

just 2 exceptions - and why they come far down in the best doctor
Eccelston - as @Mr Stickyfingers has pointed out, he thought he was too good for a TV show, and expected to become some big movie star, LOL.
He is a wanker, and i didn't like his doctor much either, there are a lot of scenes where he is so actory & shit.
And Tom Baker - he is also a wanker, until recently he refused to have anything to do with DW world, I would have liked them to turn him into a Dalek. He was famously horrendous to his female companions, except for one, Liz. He was really awful to the wild woman I forget her name. He is a pig of a man.
More than most other shows, DW actors need to respect the program at least as much as we do. I’ve said the following a few times here over the years, so apologies to the old timers here for banging on about it, but …

Tom Baker was my first Doctor and something I shared with my dad. We loved his morality, his boldness and his flare. And his speeches, we couldn’t get enough of those grandiose speeches. So when I read Tom Baker’s autobiography in the late 1990s I was expecting to read about his very Doctorly life. Instead I was shocked to read of his cowardice and disloyalty, followed by him using the show and his new found fame to be an opportunist and a womaniser. I couldn’t stand him … until I read it again and realised he was actually very funny and, well, human, but I never really got over it, not completely. But even the 50th anniversary showed his selfishness. In the lead up when everyone was being secretive, Peter Davison was asked in an interview about Tom claiming he was in the anniversary episode. Peter was shocked and said Tom was very silly to give spoilers. Obviously Tom was again using the show to build himself up, putting himself above the show and above all the people who can keep a bloody secret. He’s a great Doctor, but a poor person.

But Christopher Eccleston went the other way for me. I hated him for what I perceived as being too good for DW. But it turns out he thought the DW production team were bullies and snobs who treated junior/powerless staff very badly. So he refused to continue to be a part of it. If this is accurate, that’s an actor I can get behind, for his Doctorly qualities. (He’s even fronted an anti-bullying campaign recently and been very open and apologetic about his own schoolyard bullying.)
Still, it wouldn't have killed him to do something for the 50th.

I kind of get the reservations about River because:
  • Things did get very complicated didn’t they: conceived in the TARDIS and having reincarnations; kidnapped and raised to kill the Doctor and then giving up her reincarnations; jailed for killing the Doctor and then marrying the Tesselactor robot which represents the Doctor, who agrees to marry her so that she doesn’t destroy the universe for him, but are they really married. And so on. You really had to pay attention that season, only good for the faithful, and not even good for many of them.
  • You don’t marry your best friend’s much younger daughter, ewww, even if she is as worldly as you.
  • As prudey as it sounds, I can never get used to the Doctor having love affairs: I watch romance for romance and Sci-Fi for Sci-Fi. So romancing or flirting with anyone, including River, is just weird to me. But that dislike isn’t just reserved for River. Let’s also chuck in Rose, Martha, Jack, Amy, Clara, plus a heap of more minor characters. At least with River she was the Doctor’s equal, the others are just kids in comparison, with the exception of Jack.
  • She loves him more than he loves her. So there we go, creeping back to the traditional Doctor/companion relationship, their presence defined by a man, which isn’t River.

BUT I don't care about any of it because I LOVE RIVER. I have loved her since the Library, I love the gravitas of their backward timelines from beginning to end (and end to beginning), I love that she's a badass, and I love that someone actually has it over him. The concept is brilliant, and maybe the execution was a little clumsy at times, maybe, but I don’t care, I love her.

She is generally strong, clever, independent, classy and funny. She’s vampy, campy, and sometimes a little trampy. She had a maturity that the usual girl-wonder companions don’t have. She created a wondrous life for herself, not because the doctor abandoned her, but because that’s how she wanted it: she calls him, he comes running, and the amazingness in her life doesn’t revolve around him like, well, almost every other companion since 1962. What am I saying? He’s her companion, she’s not his. They’re like George and Amal Clooney: it’s tempting to say he married himself a trophy wife, but really, she got herself a trophy husband.

I thought the visual age difference between her and Matt would be weird, but they both made it work, and I actually think it helped Matt to expand the depth of his performance as a very old man with a very young face. I don’t think she was miscast, I think she needed to be exactly who she was to pull off the biggest companion challenge of them all, as a true equal (ok, the Romanas did this too, but they were still in the screaming companion era so they didn’t do it as well as River). There was none of the companion power imbalance that usually makes me feel, just occasionally, creeped out. I thought the parent/child relationship between River and Amy/Rory would be weird too, but it was just fun: everything looked wrong which made it so right for a time travel show. Maybe someone could have played the role better, but River had to be so many things, it's a hard role to pull off, and I think she did amazing.

Gotta say though, River divides fans everywhere. So glad we are the same here.

Tom Baker is certainly a very unique person. His number one priority has always been Tom Baker, not necessarily the shows he appeared in, and certainly not the other actors, who he felt were only upstaging the Tom Baker Show. His personal life reflected that, with his not always respectful relationships with women (I'm sure the wonderful Lalla Ward can attest to that).
As nutmeg pointed out though, he is incredibly funny and intelligent, you just need to know how to take him. And he has made efforts (mostly since he turned 80) to be nicer, reconciling with Louise Jameson (Leela), who he admits he treated appallingly, but they are now great friends and do a new series of DW audios together.

Peter Davison also had reservations about taking on the role, and tried to distance himself from it for a few years afterwards, but as his recent autobiography (I'm reading it now) shows, he has now fully embraced Doctor Who and his part in it, and he's a very nice man.

Peter Davison also had reservations about taking on the role, and tried to distance himself from it for a few years afterwards, but as his recent autobiography (I'm reading it now) shows, he has now fully embraced Doctor Who and his part in it, and he's a very nice man.

Didn't know he had an autobiography out, sooo going to read that. I love Peter Davison.

Oooo thanks @Meglos, I adore Davison, I loved him in the vet show our family used to watch that together, and was ecstatic when he became the Doctor.
And i have loved everything he has ever done, Braithwaites & Last Detective are such joys to watch. He is so adorable and sweet.
Can't wait to read this now.

Oh, and basically I just love every NuWho doctor, unconditionally, even Eccelstone I suspend reality, it's not quite unconditional with him.
But Peter and all the Nuwhos, I just LOVE them, and can never decide who is most loved, I have to love them all - I leap into loving any new doctor.
And I like the Doctor loving companions, for it's all cerebral, minds loving minds, first he helps them expand their brain - then connect.
I class Doctor emotional entanglements as the Doctor helping the human race to leap ahead in evolution - not a simple love affair, tis much more, and never about physical satisfaction.

Last edited:
I would like to see a story that explores why the doctor helps humanity so much. Because as last year showed we can be pretty awful.

watched the sea devils one last night. pretty good. if it had unit in it i think it would have been the quintessential third doctor story.

it had the master.

Jon Pertwee doing physical action stuff.

grimy 70's british location settings.

complex monsters.

arrogant and obstinate authority figures.

some chase scenes

Back