Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

"The plan is to get to net-zero by 2050."

"Great, what's the plan?"

"To get to net 0."

"But how?"

"By following the plan?"

"Yes, but what is the plan?"

"To get to net zero."

"How do we do that?"

"By following the plan."

"The plan is to get to net-zero by 2050."

"Great, what's the plan?"

"To get to net 0."

"But how?"

"By following the plan?"

"Yes, but what is the plan?"

"To get to net zero."

"How do we do that?"

"By following the plan."

Like ALP is any better. I remember they would not reveal how much their plan would cost in the last election.

Criticising one side of politics and disregarding the other is clear partisanship.

Like ALP is any better. I remember they would not reveal how much their plan would cost in the last election.

Criticising one side of politics and disregarding the other is clear partisanship.

There are many things you can say, "either party is shit" on. This isn't one of them.

The last Labor Federal Government enacted CO2 reduction policies that were actually working. They were highlighted around the world as an example to follow. We were a global leader.

The liberals got in and shit canned them and emissions started increasing again. Making us a global embarrassment.

The only reason we may reach 2030 goals is not due to any Federal policy but state-based ones. No prizes for guessing which state Governments are better at rolling out renewables.

So this is actually clearly an issue where you can draw a divide. On climate policy and reduction of CO2, where we have clear examples of Labor actually delivering.

Nats/Liberals are still climate-denying parties. The global policy has shifted to the point Scotty has to now pretend he's for emission reductions, but it's just lip service. Highlighted by their non-plan to get there and trying to undermine global efforts. He's trying to do the bare minimum for us to not become a global pariah because of the looming threat of boycotts and sanctions over our inaction.

We're now internationally seen as a bad faith actor when it comes to tackling climate change. On every level, it's an international policy disaster. It's tossing our reputation as a nation further down the toilet. Alienating our regional and Pacific neighbours. Which will lead to them being more aligned with China, reducing our regional influence.

It's also seriously bad domestic policy and another prime example of how they can't look forward to the future and plan. How will we cope once the global demand for coal drops? Denying the reality means they won't be doing anything to soften that impact on the economy and jobs.

Scotty's plan is that someone, not us, will invent magic technology so we can still pollute. It's the same clean coal scam they've been running for a few decades. It doesn't exist and the laws of physics dictate it to be impossible on a large scale. Did you know the largest carbon capture plant in the world takes a whole year to capture 3 seconds worth of emissions? Just 10,512,999 more plans and she'll be right!

Scotty went to the last election lying about electric cars.

So yeah, this is not an issue where you can go, "both suck." That is objectively wrong.

Last edited:
There are many things you can say, "either party is shit" on. This isn't one of them.

The last Labor Federal Government enacted CO2 reduction policies that were actually working. They were highlighted around the world as an example to follow. We were a global leader.

The liberals got in and shit canned them and emissions started increasing again. Making us a global embarrassment.

The only reason we may reach 2030 goals is not due to any Federal policy but state-based ones. No prizes for guessing which state Governments are better at rolling out renewables.

So this is actually clearly an issue where you can draw a divide. On climate policy and reduction of CO2, where we have clear examples of Labor actually delivering.

Nats/Liberals are still climate-denying parties. The global policy has shifted to the point Scotty has to now pretend he's for emission reductions, but it's just lip service. Highlighted by their non-plan to get there and trying to undermine global efforts. He's trying to do the bare minimum for us to not become a global pariah because of the looming threat of boycotts and sanctions over our inaction.

We're now internationally seen as a bad faith actor when it comes to tackling climate change. On every level, it's an international policy disaster. It's tossing our reputation as a nation further down the toilet. Alienating our regional and Pacific neighbours. Which will lead to them being more aligned with China, reducing our regional influence.

It's also seriously bad domestic policy and another prime example of how they can't look forward to the future and plan. How will we cope once the global demand for coal drops? Denying the reality means they won't be doing anything to soften that impact on the economy and jobs.

Scotty's plan is that someone, not us, will invent magic technology so we can still pollute. It's the same clean coal scam they've been running for a few decades. It doesn't exist and the laws of physics dictate it to be impossible on a large scale. Did you know the largest carbon capture plant in the world takes a whole year to capture 3 seconds worth of emissions? Just 10,512,999 more plans and she'll be right!

Scotty went to the last election lying about electric cars.

So yeah, this is not an issue where you can go, "both suck." That is objectively wrong.

I disagree. I think looking at it the way you are is viewing it from a partisan lens. As I said before, Labor went into the last election with a climate plan but refused to detail how much that plan would cost. Also did not provide much detail into what the plan is. Criticising one party for not detailing their plan while not doing the same for the other party is partisanship.

Unfortunately politics in Australia sucks overall. Both parties are as bad as each other.

I disagree. I think looking at it the way you are is viewing it from a partisan lens. As I said before, Labor went into the last election with a climate plan but refused to detail how much that plan would cost. Also did not provide much detail into what the plan is. Criticising one party for not detailing their plan while not doing the same for the other party is partisanship.

Unfortunately politics in Australia sucks overall. Both parties are as bad as each other.

lol

So you actually think a party that has enacted an emissions reduction policy that has worked and been globally held up as an example of what to do, is just as bad as the party that repealed it on emissions reduction? The party which currently has most of the global community holding us out as an example of what not to do. How to be a bad member of the global community in tackling this issue. Facing international repudiation for our lack of action.

Whatever criticisms you want to say about Shorten's plan, at least it was one to actually try and reduce emissions. I kind of think the intention is something one should look at with the emissions reduction policy.

"Do they actually want to reduce emissions?"
"Yes / No"

The answer to that question is different for each party. So I really think you should take some self-reflection on how is being partisan when considering which party might take action on emissions reduction.

lol

So you actually think a party that has enacted an emissions reduction policy that has worked and been globally held up as an example of what to do, is just as bad as the party that repealed it on emissions reduction? The party which currently has most of the global community holding us out as an example of what not to do. How to be a bad member of the global community in tackling this issue. Facing international repudiation for our lack of action.

Whatever criticisms you want to say about Shorten's plan, at least it was one to actually try and reduce emissions. I kind of think the intention is something one should look at with the emissions reduction policy.

"Yes / No"

The answer to that question is different for each party. So I really think you should take some self-reflection on how is being partisan when considering which party might take action on emissions reduction.

lol.

Yet here you are criticising Morrison who is also looking to reduce emissions by 2030. Even though the plan has not been released, it is no better or worse than what Labor did at the last election by deflecting questions about the cost of their climate plan.

Perhaps you should take some reflection on your partisanship as it is pretty clear to everyone where you stand. E.g. No accountability for ALP and Dan who is your state premier. Yet you criticise the Federal LNP and Gladys/ Perrottet who are NOT even your state premiers all the time which I can only think of is because they are Liberals.

lol.

Yet here you are criticising Morrison who is also looking to reduce emissions by 2030. Even though the plan has not been released, it is no better or worse than what Labor did at the last election by deflecting questions about the cost of their climate plan.

Perhaps you should take some reflection on your partisanship as it is pretty clear to everyone where you stand. E.g. No accountability for ALP and Dan who is your state premier. Yet you criticise the Federal LNP and Gladys/ Perrottet who are NOT even your state premiers all the time which I can only think of is because they are Liberals.

I'm criticising Morrison because he's a climate denier and the whole world can see it. His reduction by 2030 is by doing nothing. Just stating where trends will be.

Morrison's actual long term plan has a good chunk of emissions being solved by someone, not us, inventing physics-defying technology to suck massive amounts of carbon out of the atmosphere. While keeping the coal and fossil fuel industry alive and polluting. With what will be a futile attempt at trying to undermine global efforts to reduce emissions by trying to convince poor countries to keep burning our coal. A plan which will fail.

T global export market will collapse. We aren't powerful enough to prevent that. Now should we. Labor's plan actually involves trying to transition those sectors for the coming change of a low emission world. They look forward.

Much like the last election where Labor noticed that in 10-15 years almost all new cars will be electric and we should start preparing. Changes to the grid and infrastructure. Once again the Nats/Libs inability to look into the future saw them rubbishing that as part of their anti-climate change agenda.

Labor, try and address emissions, pivot and transform our resources sectors to survive the collapse.

Liberals, deny emissions will be reduced. Hope for magic technology to suck up carbon. Thinking they can pivot to nuclear if that fails.

lol

"Yes / No"

Who cares about reducing emissions. Were all going to die anyway. Except for the betters of course. They'll just ascend to a higher state of being anyway.

Anyways, I will stop there as I am not looking for an argument.

Just to be clear, not that there is anything wrong with partisanship anyway. It just makes me take your political opinions a lot less seriously than someone who is a centrist. 😂

Anyways, I will stop there as I am not looking for an argument.

Just to be clear, not that there is anything wrong with partisanship anyway. It just makes me take your political opinions a lot less seriously than someone who is a centrist. 😂

It is a centrist position to state the Nats/Libs aren't good if you want climate policy. That's a fact. Have you not picked up your friends on Sky News constantly criticising Labor for wanting to reduce emissions? Then even when Scotty started pretending Australia's committed. They then laughed at how rubbish his do nothing plan was.

It's a centrist issue to want action on climate change and planning for the future.

It is a centrist position to state the Nats/Libs aren't good if you want climate policy. That's a fact. Have you not picked up your friends on Sky News constantly criticising Labor for wanting to reduce emissions?

It's a centrist issue to want action on climate change and planning for the future.

As I said though, done with this topic of conversation.

Last edited:
As I have mentioned previously I am a bit biased and very into any classic machinery that basically burns fossil fuels...lol

Yes it does look like the good old days are over and it's only a matter of time when they start to phase out most fossil fuel dinosaur technology in favour for new modern electric alternatives. For me though I will not convert or change to anything electric until I have no choice. That is when they no longer allow us to purchase petrol from a local service station then I will have no choice but to buy a damn electric lawnmower or car to keep on living. Mind you I hope this isn't done for a very very long time.

Also from many reports it's understood on a global scale Australia only produces around 1% of total world carbon emissions. Yet we are told by world leaders and the greens/labor (sorry after I hear Anthony Albenese open his mouth and rant on about electric cars this and reducing emissions that I sometimes think he's now the greenie greens leader) to do more to reduce emissions I actually agree totally with Scott Morrison's position on this issue. One of world's biggest polluters China didn't even turn up to this event then you hear some people from that event saying "Oh we can't understand why Australia isn't doing more on this or some garbage" oh please give us a break and bugger off! Where was China and Russia at this event? China emits around 30% of global emissions and they basically gave everyone the middle finger at this event. I mean seriously to tackle this problem if you can't get the world's largest emitters on board then there isn't much a country like Australia with around 1% of global emissions can seriously do. Yet it seems we are targeted like we are one of the world's biggest emitters.

I will basically support whichever political party that will let me still enjoy my classic petrol burning motor vehicle and lawnmower and garden tools for many many years to come! LOL!

Also for those that may not know much about lawnmowers etc. Do many of you people remember the good old Victa 2 stroke aussie made lawnmowers? Anyway the government has actually banned the sale of any new 2 stroke lawnmowers because they are basically too dirty and polluting and well whatever other bullshit the greenies have sunk their teeth into now and we have lost our own aussie made legend which we can't even buy new here anymore. Oh but there's no ban on buying any other 4 stroke lawnmowers on the market that from some media reports (although the greenies also have these on their hitlist to go next and force everyone to go electric) are just as polluting as the 2 stroke lawnmowers but anyone can still buy these from anywhere today. It makes me sad that we have lost all our car manufacturing in this country and we have also lost even our good old little aussie 2 stroke lawnmowers aswell.

Just to mention how dodgy all this banning of the sale of any new Victa 2 stroke lawnmowers is. There is no ban at all on the sale of all other supposedly dirty smoky highly polluting 2 stroke engine items like "line trimmers, chain saws, and leaf blowers". Yes WTF you might say? Well it seems that the humble little old dirty polluting 2 stroke engine is still the best little cheap bang for buck motor for those garden tools that they simply can't replace it with anything in the time being...lol So I guess then it's ok to still sell these to the general public for now.

Back