Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

Meh. I don't think Rudd is alone amongst senior politicians. As for his attacks on Turnbull, half the LNP are working to bring down Turnbull.

They should concentrate on working together for the good of the Country instead of blindingly bickering like a bunch of gin soaked cats on a boat.

From Peter FitzSimons' column in the SMH:

This week [Senator Jacqui Lambie] took on Senator Cory Bernardi for his theatrical outrage over Senator Sam Dastyari's admittedly bodgy practice of letting the Chinese pay his bills, saying the South Australian's carry-on was "like an angry prostitute lecturing us about the benefits of celibacy".

And now she pauses, gathers herself, and goes on: "Before I receive unfair criticism from the sex workers, I apologise to them profusely for comparing them to Senator Bernardi – I know that is a really terrible low-down thing to do. Prostitutes are far more honest, sincere, humane, compassionate and better bang for buck than Senator Bernardi will ever be able to deliver."

LOL

Is it possible to be more insane than Donald trump and be elected in this day and age? Impressive. In some way. Not in a good way.

The Project is on right now. Talking about this Plebiscite crap.
What a waste of time and money. Just change the damn laws

Yup, check out this hypocrisy from George Brandis today:

Brandis: "It is Mr Shorten who is saying to gay Australians: 'You can just wait while I play politics'"

Um, get fucked, you could change the law a lot faster without a plebiscite, don't go blaming Labor for holding it up. Cunt.

I'm so over the whole fucking plebiscite shit fight. Just get it done already!

You're spot on @timmydownawell. Whenever some cunt from the LNP pipes up I tune out. The reality is the issue could be done and dusted but instead certain spiteful dicks are intent on delay, delay, delay.

And let me add this graph showing polls for almost 10 years consistently proving Australians support marriage equality. I don't think a plebiscite is really needed...
1FiYxsY.gif

It's actually getting ridiculous now isn't it.. they need a referendum. At the end of the day people are still going to be engaging in their disgusting, unnatural* love whether or not marriage is permitted, if people really object to it so strongly then maybe they should reconsider living in a country where being is not a punishable offence.

* Not my opinion

I just have to post here as an American saying I'm getting worried Trump could actually win. Hilary has made some huge mistakes.

At least we have marriage equality but there are plenty of places that had to be forced by the federal government to allow it.

At least we have marriage equality
Your supreme court just ruled that to deny same sex marriage was unconstitutional and BANG! Marriage equality. No debate, no fuss, just done. If only it was so easy here.

And if Trump wins, god help us all. What a fucking nut, he is completely unhinged.

In better news on the LGBTI front, Queensland has fixed the discriminatory elements of its age of consent laws:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-15/queensland-standardises-age-of-consent-laws-anal-sex/7850112

Yet even something as straight forward as bringing in a uniform age of consent law meant we had to listen to bloated whale federal LNP MP George Christensen accuse the state government of legalising the grooming of boys by paedophiles because now every gay 50-year-old will be coming for every 16-year-old arse.

Can't wait for the civil and respectful plebiscite debate.

Your supreme court just ruled that to deny same sex marriage was unconstitutional and BANG! Marriage equality. No debate, no fuss, just done. If only it was so easy here.

And if Trump wins, god help us all. What a fucking nut, he is completely unhinged.
If you were here you would see there was plenty of fuss. It's complicated because we have each state regulates marriage. So there was never going to be a national referendum.

So there was never going to be a national referendum.
At least you were spared that. There is no need for the plebiscite here at all. It could be passed in both houses immediately without one. It's all just delaying tactics from the Coalition government's hard right... and a chance for them to have a last free kick at the LGBTI community. :(

If you were here you would see there was plenty of fuss. It's complicated because we have each state regulates marriage. So there was never going to be a national referendum.

Yeah whereas over here our constitution specifically states marriage is the purview of the federal government. Were it up to the states though I'd say many would have already legalised it. So instead of the US case where SCOTUS had to 'force' it onto the remaining hold outs here it'd definitely be a case of the states trying to 'force' it onto the feds.

Also I've long had the feeling that Trump could triumph and I may have said as much on here before so I feel your apprehension. Things could certainly get interesting if there are indeed more leaks against Hillary like the rumours suggest. The length of your whole process is so long that there's plenty of opportunities to stuff up. I'd take our month or two of campaigning any day!

Hope you'll be voting come November though!

Back