Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

What a crazy election - I was hoping to come home from work and see an outcome ....... I, personally, have had nothing to do with this debarcle LOL but I did chuck a bit of a spanner in the senate - whether it works or not ? LOL .......

What I don't get is that when there is an election WHY is there not a referendum about stuff like the Republic Debate and Same Sex marriage etc at the same time?

AND another thing I don't get it WHY those bloody ballot papers are longer than your arm? Why can we not vote online somehow? Save the trees! If somehow we can vote online, safely, a push of a button would complete the process and we would know, when the time was complete. Anyhow. I guess that is not how is works these days!

AND another thing - WHY are you not asked for IDENTIFICATION of WHO you are, when you go to vote? That makes me wonder all the time.

So fricken backward - for trying to bring us forward

AND another thing - WHY are you not asked for IDENTIFICATION of WHO you are, when you go to vote? That makes me wonder all the time.

You have to be careful with that one. They do that in some US states, and it denies people the right to vote if they don't have the necessary ID.

You have to be careful with that one. They do that in some US states, and it denies people the right to vote if they don't have the necessary ID.

I don't get it. We all have ID here in OZ ....... It is not compulsery to vote in the USA. I mean there could be someone collecting peoples votes here for $$$ that dont give a shit about an election and go fund a hit for meth etc .......... just saying ...... can of worms .....

and like there are no cctv cameras in the Primary School I cast my vote in today. I was asked if I had voted already today - what does that matter - who am I? Do they know who I am? Am I really me? I really do not get it - I should get a friend to vote for me next Election and see if it gets though. I might even get a guy to dress as a woman, as me and see what happens ..........

They make the process so strict but it is not. Who am I and who is who? Without proof ...............

07:00 News tells me we are still Prime Ministerless!!!

and like there are no cctv cameras in the Primary School I cast my vote in today. I was asked if I had voted already today - what does that matter - who am I? Do they know who I am? Am I really me? I really do not get it - I should get a friend to vote for me next Election and see if it gets though. I might even get a guy to dress as a woman, as me and see what happens ..........

They make the process so strict but it is not. Who am I and who is who? Without proof ...............

I was there at ten to eight with my parents, and in the first fifteen or so people in the door, and the lady still asked "Have you voted already today?".She said "Silly question but we have to ask it." She also asked if any of us were an absentee vote, and my dad dad-jokes her "Yes I am, I'm still at home in bed." *blank stare*

LOL at the ID queries, I was more surprised they trusted me to count votes - but they have checks and balances, scrutineers.
And, it is difficult getting the average Aussie to give a crap & vote, let alone to vote more than once.
And if anyone did that, you come up checked off at more than one voting booth and you will be given the appropriate criminal attention.
If somebody wants to give you their vote, they don't deserve a vote, so no loss.

And in some 3rd world countries, they dye one of your fingers after you vote = missing fingers, yes that is happening, criminals chop

Poor reepbot is a disconsolate mess after finding out the Pirate Party wasn't a parrots, eye patches and peg leggs affair. His costume was all for nothing.

When you vote, what do you consider?

Purely personal, ie, what's in it for ME.
or
For your NATION, how will this party improve our whole community. Do they have a vision?
or
Are you attached to a political party?

I do not think we have had a real leader, with a real vision since Keating.

I want a happier country, and I am OK paying higher taxes to look after EVERYBODY PROPERLY:)

When you vote, what do you consider?
It's not about me, when I vote it's for the good of country. This time I voted for the bigger picture: Emissions trading scheme, a proper NBN, marriage equality, health, education, better treatment of asylum seekers. And if I have to pay higher taxes to have these things I am fine with that, just as long as the tax system is fairer. If they need to make cuts to welfare they should start with middle class welfare. But start with the multinationals!

It's not about me, when I vote it's for the good of country. This time I voted for the bigger picture: Emissions trading scheme, a proper NBN, marriage equality, health, education, better treatment of asylum seekers. And if I have to pay higher taxes to have these things I am fine with that, just as long as the tax system is fairer. If they need to make cuts to welfare they should start with middle class welfare. But start with the multinationals!
Great post, and I totally agree.

...I very rarely get myself involved in politics on forums but I read this article in 'The Guardian" by Kristina Keneally (on this link below)...

...https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-sat-back-waiting-for-the-people-to-elect-him

...and she states that "Shorten fought on policies while Turnbull sat back waiting for the people to elect him"... I have to say... that's exactly how I saw it too... Turnbull's 'air' about him and his arrogance may have possibly lost him this election... to me... Turnbull has always been a "fisticuffs with the 'Marquess of Queensbeery Rules'" type of fighter whereas Shorten has always seemed the 'scrapper and brawler bare knuckle' type of fighter to me...

...regardless of whether Liberal or Labor win Turnbull has a lot to answer for in his camp... I can foresee his head coming off regardless of whether his party wins or loses to be honest... he is now in 'damage mode' as I watch him 'Live' on ABC TV... he's looking quite rattled... I think that he is pretty shocked that Shorten did so well... as with the other Independant parties etc too... all I can say is... well done Bill Shorten!... it's great to see an 'underdog' do so well... maybe Turnbull's 'Sun King' ego (as Kristina calls him) will return to planet Earth once again... at last... (oh who am I kidding?:rolleyes:)... cheers.

A couple of "What happens now?" articles:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-03/election-result-what-happens-now/7564250

http://www.news.com.au/national/fed...w/news-story/c247b8f17177c2a8ef98a4d032ca40c8

And a bit on the Senate makeup from that second link:

The final makeup of the 76 Senate seats will not be known for some weeks due to new voting rules which mean only first preferences have been counted so far.

Early estimates suggest the Coalition will win at least 29, Labor 25, the Greens 9 and up to 13 in the crossbench.

Pauline Hanson’s One Nation party is guaranteed at least one Queensland spot and potentially up to four in total. The Christian Democrats’ Fred Nile is also in.

Nick Xenophon’s party could have up to three seats, Tasmanian Senator Jacqui Lambie has been re-elected, and controversial media personality Derryn Hinch looks likely to have picked up a seat in Victoria.

“Fred Nile is in there, and you have Pauline Hanson and Derryn Hinch,” the ABC’s Barrie Cassidy said. “They will have to erect a circus stand on the lawns of Parliament House. That’s quite an assortment!”

It's sounding a bit conservative.

Last edited:
I was there at ten to eight with my parents, and in the first fifteen or so people in the door, and the lady still asked "Have you voted already today?".She said "Silly question but we have to ask it." She also asked if any of us were an absentee vote, and my dad dad-jokes her "Yes I am, I'm still at home in bed." *blank stare*
I worked at a polling booth once and the reason they ask is it means that if you are found out double dipping you cannot say it was an acçident, ànd you have offially lied, so can be charged more severely.

At least one point of amusement, for me at least, is the media being shocked that after weeks of neck and neck polling we've got a neck and neck result rather than the Liberal win they'd been saying was coming in spite of the polls. Barry Cassidy on Insiders said Liberal party sources were giving the media off-the-record but hand-on-the-heart info that the Lib's own secret polling was saying they'd win. One wonders if the media got taken for a ride on that one.

Well I'm not in Australia so I mainly get my info from the age, the abc and friends. I was so relieved when Tony was replaced by Malcolm but he has been ... fairly ... nothing. Less embarrassing internationally than Tony but definitely disappointing compared to my first hopes. I could have voted for him - I'm mildly left to centrist - but Shorten seemed to actually be developing policies and being generally more dynamic and transforming and transformational so ... I voted Shorten.

I do miss Keating - he was a visionary. I actually thought Gillard was a brilliant negotiator and a very sound politician and policy maker and was almost unflappable - except on a few notable occasions - and if circumstanced had have been different could have had a much more esteemed legacy. I think she was horribly shortchanged. Malcolm ... just not sure any more. Meh.

If Shorten wins. He will get what he always wanted.
images

Back