Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

I’m not sure Australia is quite ready for all that just yet, and she seems genuinely reluctant about it - and I don’t blame her, she’d get 10 times the backlash Gillard got. Anyway most likely Shorten will get Labor over the line.
Exactly right. I have said on many occasions I would love her, but "I'm not sure Australia is ready for an Asian lesbian prime minster yet". And that's our loss.

Turnbull could have been a decent PM if he was on the other side of politics. As it stands he capitulates on everything he believes in order to cling to the top job. Pathetic really.

Will not be shocked if Dutton is PM by the end of the weekbas horrible as that is. Bring on the next election I say.

Can't belive not a single PM has served out their term during my voting life. When will the Age of Opinion Polls end??

Hopefully this plays out.

https://tendaily.com.au/news/politi...ver-peter-duttons-business-interests-20180820

Constitutional Cloud Emerges Over Peter Dutton's Business Interests

The issues stem from Dutton’s interest in two child care centres in suburban Brisbane. The Camelia Avenue Child Care Centre and one at Bald Hills are for-profit operations owned by RHT Family Trust, according to ASIC documents.
Dutton’s Parliamentary register declares he is a “beneficiary” of the RHT Family Trust, along with his wife and children.
A change in the law, for which Dutton voted as required by his position in Cabinet, means these two childcare centres, along with most others in the country, now receive direct subsidies from the Commonwealth.
The effective start date was July 2, 2018
And here is where it gets interesting.
Under Section 44(v) of the Constitution, any person with “any direct or indirect pecuniary interest with the Public Service of the Commonwealth” is disqualified from Parliament.
Disqualification means what it says.
“You are no longer a member of Parliament,” says Professor Twomey.
“Your seat has been vacated. You cannot vote and you cannot sit as a Member of Parliament.”

Last edited:
Reactions: kxk
Hopefully this plays out.

https://tendaily.com.au/news/politi...ver-peter-duttons-business-interests-20180820

Constitutional Cloud Emerges Over Peter Dutton's Business Interests

The issues stem from Dutton’s interest in two child care centres in suburban Brisbane. The Camelia Avenue Child Care Centre and one at Bald Hills are for-profit operations owned by RHT Family Trust, according to ASIC documents.
Dutton’s Parliamentary register declares he is a “beneficiary” of the RHT Family Trust, along with his wife and children.
A change in the law, for which Dutton voted as required by his position in Cabinet, means these two childcare centres, along with most others in the country, now receive direct subsidies from the Commonwealth.
The effective start date was July 2, 2018
And here is where it gets interesting.
Under Section 44(v) of the Constitution, any person with “any direct or indirect pecuniary interest with the Public Service of the Commonwealth” is disqualified from Parliament.
Disqualification means what it says.
“You are no longer a member of Parliament,” says Professor Twomey.
“Your seat has been vacated. You cannot vote and you cannot sit as a Member of Parliament.”

The thing is the Government would have to refer it to the High Court first. Which I doubt they'd do. Ha!

Yes and I hope to dog they succeed. However if he becomes PM in the meantime he might switch to a safe seat to preserve his arse.

Dutton is my sister's MP so she's always getting inundated. Ha! Not that she's ever voted for him. Pretty sure his margin dropped last time so fingers crossed!

Exactly right. I have said on many occasions I would love her, but "I'm not sure Australia is ready for an Asian lesbian prime minster yet". And that's our loss.

Turnbull could have been a decent PM if he was on the other side of politics. As it stands he capitulates on everything he believes in order to cling to the top job. Pathetic really.
Love Penny Wong. She is fabulous. Tanya‘s not bad either.

Actually Kristina Keneally has been pretty amazing in the Senate too, especially regarding the Great Barrier Reef Foundation grant. But again, while she's not a lesbian, she's still got "foreign, woman" counting against her. Plus she got safely parachuted into the federal Senate so she's going to need some time to bed in there.

Turnbull won the leadership challenge 48-35. Dutton has moved to the back bench.

Probably another challenge in the future unless an election is called.

Turnbull won the leadership challenge 48-35. Dutton has moved to the back bench.

Probably another challenge in the future unless an election is called.

They only need seven MPS to switch to Dutton. Why they think changing to Dutton would be a positive move is a complete mystery. He only scores 7% as "preferred PM". Libs are doomed at the next election either way.

Well 🎩 survived. Now we can look forward to more months of stable government leadership speculation.

And the coalition was meant to be the 'adults'. Rudd, Gillard, and Labor must be loving this.

Well 🎩 survived. Now we can look forward to more months of stable government leadership speculation.

And the coalition was meant to be the 'adults'. Rudd, Gillard, and Labor must be loving this.
Dutton will be on the phones as we speak trying to swing seven members his way, make no mistake.

Our politics are fucked....step aside boys and let the better women forge our future

Liberals, LOL......honestly they have a guy that reminds us all of Voldemort, you really think ANYONE would vote for freaky Dutton?

Voldermort v wishy washy marshmallow man (Mal) v the pretender, unnatural awkard private school boy pretending to be one of the common people

Fierravanti Wells, one of my favourite Senators, has resigned.

Say what now. Why is she one of your faves? You do realise she's one of the few who still voted no on marriage equality even after the stupid plebishite. Not to mention she's all about privatising the ABC/SBS.

Say what now. Why is she one of your faves? You do realise she's one of the few who still voted no on marriage equality even after the stupid plebishite.

Sometimes I just the Senate Question Time. How she presents herself and her arguments are great. Not many other senators who I like.

Back