Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

They have to be stopped.......this is very upsetting, ABC/SBS make more than TV, they give us a community

Wow.
Watching Foreign Correspondent......about China's lost children, 61 million, just left behind when the parents abandon them in remote villages and go off to work in cities....
Some have grandparents, most have nothing........and they are soooooooooooo sad, how horrid, why have the kid???

We have appalling representatives.....posted full article in ME TOO thread

NSW Senator Leyonhjelm hurls obscenities at Greens counterpart Sarah Hanson-Young
A FEDERAL senator refused to apologise after swearing and telling a female senator to “stop shagging men”.

A NEW South Wales Senator has confirmed he used shocking unparliamentary language while attacking his South Australian Greens counterpart Sarah Hanson-Young and then swore at her when she confronted him.

Liberal Democratic Party senator David Leyonhjelm admitted he told Senator Hanson-Young to “stop shagging men” and then told her to “f**k off”.
https://www.news.com.au/national/po...g/news-story/fd1e0efe31cc2df0206def6fa0345ed2

We have appalling representatives.....posted full article in ME TOO thread

NSW Senator Leyonhjelm hurls obscenities at Greens counterpart Sarah Hanson-Young
A FEDERAL senator refused to apologise after swearing and telling a female senator to “stop shagging men”.

I'm not a fan of Leyonhjelm. I am in no way defending him. I'm a greens voter.

However this story is just a stupid beat up.

Leyonhjelm had a bee in his bonnet about all the "Men need to take action to stop rape" stuff that was going on. There was a lot of stupid comments blaming all men for the crimes of a few. Whether or not Hanson-Young actually said what he claims is irrelevant. He had his bee in his bonnet about this. He wasn't caring if she said it or not. Wanting to hear what he wanted.

This is the first stupid thing.

However what he said and the context, regardless of how inappropriate it was. Is being now taken to mean whatever people want it to mean for their own political ends.

It just seems she said something about men, which he took to mean whatever he wanted to hear. Something in the vein of, "Men are evil." His come back was, "well stop shagging men then." Which in turn now people are taking that to be some slut shaming character assassination which it was never meant to be.

It's all just pathetic.

Then of course the idiot on Sky News can't face up to being an idiot and makes things worse for himself. Actually somewhat going into the narrative already forming.

Was was incredibly frustrating was some of the coverage on this. The Project Tonight had multiple segments on this as well as other stupid shit men have said over the last few days. Yet they deliberately were making a point of not saying, airing or playing any of it. If you watched it you'd had zero ability to form an actual opinion on any of it.

I understand her perspective, and that there is much more to this than the immediate words quoted
She is fed up with shit heads

I work in a male dominated profession......
and have had this sort of shit, and what would you know you are a girl whilst being cornered

ABC supporters including Kerry O'Brien and Magda Szubanski rally to 'save' broadcaster

Former 7.30 host says ABC ‘too important’ to become partisan issue as Phillip Adams and Thomas Keneally join protest

Amanda Meade

Sun 8 Jul 2018 19.57 AESTLast modified on Sun 8 Jul 2018 22.14 AEST

The journalist Kerry O’Brien, the actor Magda Szubanski and the novelist Thomas Keneally during the Save the ABC rally in Sydney. Photograph: Jeremy Ng/AAP
In 30 years at the ABC, the broadcaster Phillip Adams has never seen such a “moment of danger” for public broadcasting, which is now under attack on several fronts, he told a rally in support of the ABC on Sunday.

“This is a really, really dark time,” the Late Night Live host said at a packed event organised by ABC Friends in Sydney, which also heard rousing speeches about the importance of the ABC from the author Thomas Keneally, the journalist Kerry O’Brien and the actor Magda Szubanski.
The crowd heard that the ABC had suffered from $400m in cuts since 2014, faced several government inquiries, daily hostility from News Corp and calls for privatisation from the Liberal party conference and the Institute of Public Affairs.

“Never before have we had a political party call for our extinction,” Adams said

“It’s not just public broadcasting, it’s public health, it’s public education, it’s public transport.
If it’s public, public is the adjective, it is now a pejorative.”

ABC launches microsite as next step in defence of public broadcaster
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...as-next-step-in-defence-of-public-broadcaster
Michelle Guthrie’s speech used as focal point in campaign against Liberal party calls for the ABC to be privatised

The ABC has followed up Michelle Guthrie’s rallying speech at the Melbourne Press Club on Tuesday by publishing a microsite about the future of public broadcasting in Australia.

The microsite is another plank in the ABC’s renewed strategy to ward off more funding cuts and to answer critics who claim the broadcaster is a $1bn burden on taxpayers.

It would seem an certain USA orange buffoon may have shot himself in both feet......
Even his cronies know he is a traitor

Yes, looks like Labor will clean up, plus Rebekkah Sharkie winning Mayo. This is a disaster for the Libs.

BAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Turnbull is doomed.

Great result! The ALP shouldn't even have won Longman. It's a Liberal seat that they won by 0.8% last time due to preference votes and today they smashed it out of the ball park. Malcolm must be rocking in the corner right about now.

The ALP shouldn't even have won Longman
Exactly, and I really didn't think they would. But LNP voters switched to Labor and One Nation... so there weren't nearly enough preferences to flow back to them. That says a lot about how the electorate feels about them. Dutton's seat is under huge pressure now because he only holds it by 2%, so the Libs would have to be stupid to roll Turnbull for him. JBish may get a look in now though? Interesting times.

The federal election can't come soon enough (but given this result, I don't think the government will be in any hurry now).

Back