Skip to main content

Episode Day 21 (28/09/2014) Daily Show (Sunday)

I think that people would be screaming in the streets here if the tv schedule didn't run on time, other than due to emergencies or sporting events. The local new york city news station (new york 1) has weather on the 1s every ten minutes: you'd better believe they hit that on the dot all day long, except when they are doing some major emergency or other coverage. It is really hard to wrap my brain around Australian tv viewing habits. Very different than the U.S..

Very true. Anytime the President has a press conference during The Price is Right, the Twitterverse becomes a lynch mob. Some people will complain about anything.

I'm going to stick my head on the chopping block here.....
In defence of Sandra and so called 'cheating' ...
She has admitted she has a crush on Sam, but it ends there. From what we have been shown, nothing inappropriate has happened, they are just friends and haven't done anything other than be friends. BB has done its best edit to try and make more of it, but this was the best they could come up with. Believe me if there was anything more to it, I'm sure they would have shown it.
I don't believe that they should be accused of cheating, when no cheating has actually happened. Sandra will get over it and move on IMO.
Oh and what was with the promo- jealousy, passion, betrayal? I didn't see any of these things - did anyone else?

I agree. I thought that was really mean of the stylists to do that. I think Sandra would look stunning in one of the slinky numbers that they give the other girls to wear, and I can fully understand exactly how she felt. To be honest I would have reacted exactly the same way in her situation.
Oh, me too. "Here's your sack, troll." It would have been great if she'd had the confidence to put it on anyway--make a joke of it and basically tell Big Brother to suck it--but if she were that kind of person they obviously wouldn't have done it.

oIsKpXd.gif

THIS IS THE GREATEST GIF OF ALL TIME!

Last year I didn't really care either way, as long as she kept voting with Drew and Tim. I was indifferent. But, looking back, she seemed a step above any of these girls this year, being cast in a similar demographic. She wasn't bitchy, like Lisa, wasn't insecure (about her body) like Sandra, but her insecurity about her intellect came across as charming to me, because she didn't seem conceited, like many girls with the assets she had can do.

In terms of seeing her in an unflattering light, man, I hated Ed last year. Really hated him, and hated the fact that someone like Jade would chose him, -him, bloody Ed? - but, I thought she was a nice girl who was infatuated. It happens.

Dunno why you thought I thought everyone should have the same opinion about her as me. Cause I don't, which was why I prefaced my original comment with 'I think...'

As to the entitled thing, I don't even know if I was being sarcastic or sincerely thanking you for being polite. Too much AVClub today.
which was why I prefaced my original comment with 'I think...'

That's true but it sounded more like you were hinting/implying that there was a consensus among BB viewers/fan that Jade was this uber fantastic/'interesting' housemate worthy of coming that close to winning BB. Uh-huh, no dice I'm afraid that point of view is highly contentious/debatable.

Anyway I promised myself that I wouldn't get into Jade 'discussions' anymore. To Jade's credit her target of obsession was at least available but in terms of value as a housemate Sandra > Jade any day of the week and I'll leave it at that.

That's true but it sounded more like you were hinting/implying that there was a consensus among BB viewers/fan that Jade was this uber fantastic/'interesting' housemate worthy of coming that close to winning BB. Uh-huh, no dice I'm afraid that point of view is highly contentious/debatable.

Anyway I promised myself that I wouldn't get into Jade 'discussions' anymore. To Jade's credit her target of obsession was at least available but in terms of value as a housemate Sandra > Jade any day of the week and I'll leave it at that.
Okay. see you 'round. This was my first Jade 'discussion,' if that's what it was, and it feels like.... getting drunk in Belfast; like everyone is being polite, but ... it can't last.

Okay. see you 'round. This was my first Jade 'discussion,' if that's what it was, and it feels like.... getting drunk in Belfast; like everyone is being polite, but ... it can't last.
That's okay, it's not you it's her fans who have chewed me up and spat me out for merely mentioning her name in the past. :biggrin: Out of respect for them and for the sake of my own sanity really I'm doing my best to abstain from doing so. ;)

Nope:p Fridays night daily show thread @Tim's spoiler post

Meanwhile, Skye loans Sandra her tights and they come back stretched, so she goes and whinges to Katie and Lisa about it.
The stretched pants create a big discussion between Lisa and Katie, they decide to tell Sandra, but only when they need to.

I'm a mere male, but I would think that if tights stretch that easily, they couldnt have been very good quality in the 1st place. Arent tights supposed to stretch?

Sandra, it is strange and I don't really know about the Sam thing. I actually really like Sam as a housemate and I think he's in a tough situation. He obviously really likes her as a friend and there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is, how you deal with this in the real world versus in the BB world when you don't have any space. Is it better for him to be mean to her? Keep distance?

I think honesty is the best policy. Once it became obvious to Sam that Sandra was fawning over him, he should have said I like you as a friend, but I have a girlfriend on the outside, so lets enjoy our time together in here without complicating things. Male ego stopped him from doing this. I think Sandra would be better off to stay clear, because I think both Sam and Priya have nasty tempers if riled. Sam showed his true colours on about the 2nd day, when they were arguing over their entitlement to some of Katie and Priyas $10,000.00. Sam is still jockeying for position to be the Alpha male, Sandra couldnt give a shit. If she cant just enjoy the unexpectedness of the situations that are thrown at them, I dont know why she went in the house in the first place. This applies to others too, its no good sitting down and whingeing about things, DO something or SAY something that might change things, but DON'T do a Ryan and Dion and just sit back and watch. These people who go in and say they did it to find themselves, will forever remain lost. A couple of them might gain confidence through being in a large group situation that is alien to their normal every day life, but trying to do it on national television, isnt a smart move. I still dont know how half of them get through the psych tests.

sooo late, but idk why everyone was surprised when dion praised sandra's personality.
his opening video before entering the house made it pretty clear he's not interested in women having personalities he's interested in them being "respectful" of themselves, ie knowing their fucking place.
which sandra has been very good at. she doesn't flaunt her body, and she doesn't get into arguments.
she just sits there and smiles.

I agree. I thought that was really mean of the stylists to do that. I think Sandra would look stunning in one of the slinky numbers that they give the other girls to wear, and I can fully understand exactly how she felt. To be honest I would have reacted exactly the same way in her situation.

The dress they put out for Sandra looked like a pregnancy outfit. It wouldnt have done her insecurity any favours. I personally dont know what she is worried about, she ISN'T fat and appears to be healthy. She spoke about wearing one of her own dresses, does anyone know whether the red dress was her own, or a borrowed one. If it was borrowed, I hope she didnt stretch it :).

@tedfthis why do you think Priya has a nasty temper? What's your basis/evidence for this?

It was just a feeling or vibe I picked up when Priya and Katie were a pair and it was obvious that Priya wanted to take the $10,000.00 straight away, she didnt need a day to think about it. She had a menacing look about her IMO as she was manipulating Katie into her way of thinking. I just thought then, that I think she has a nasty side to her, if cornered. Others might have seen it differently.

I think honesty is the best policy. Once it became obvious to Sam that Sandra was fawning over him, he should have said I like you as a friend, but I have a girlfriend on the outside, so lets enjoy our time together in here without complicating things. Male ego stopped him from doing this.

See this is just being done on assumption. We don't know how aware he was until the events of last nights episode.

We get fed a bunch of narrative, clips not involving Sam. It's wrong to assume his knowledge is the same as us on the outside. Honestly he seemed taken back by the fact. He has some knowledge but I think we can judge him on how he handles it from last nights episodes events onwards. As we saw her saying that line to him and we saw him directly being told she has a crush on him. I don't think it's fair to assume he understood how strong her feelings were until that night.

See this is just being done on assumption. We don't know how aware he was until the events of last nights episode.

We get fed a bunch of narrative, clips not involving Sam. It's wrong to assume his knowledge is the same as us on the outside. Honestly he seemed taken back by the fact. He has some knowledge but I think we can judge him on how he handles it from last nights episodes events onwards. As we saw her saying that line to him and we saw him directly being told she has a crush on him. I don't think it's fair to assume he understood how strong her feelings were until that night.

Sandra hadnt hidden her feelings for Sam, in the house. Just about everyone knew and I find it implausible that nobody had said anything to Sam about it. I agree, we only get to see what they show us, so we never truly know both sides of any situation.

It was just a feeling or vibe I picked up when Priya and Katie were a pair and it was obvious that Priya wanted to take the $10,000.00 straight away, she didnt need a day to think about it. She had a menacing look about her IMO as she was manipulating Katie into her way of thinking. I just thought then, that I think she has a nasty side to her, if cornered. Others might have seen it differently.

3hegSZS.gif

I SEE.

Oh, me too. "Here's your sack, troll." It would have been great if she'd had the confidence to put it on anyway--make a joke of it and basically tell Big Brother to suck it--but if she were that kind of person they obviously wouldn't have done it.
She could have attacked the neckline with scissors and given it a good rip, worn it off one shoulder, with a belt, to give some shape. Poor form that one of the others didn't suggest this.

Just watching this now - and am stuck on Syke's lilac lipstick. On my laptop it seems to almost glow. Ugh. And Jake is wearing mascara.

Agree with that sack that Sandra was given - it wasn't even in keeping with the dresses the other girls were given. It's something you'd chuck on to wash the car (or boat - in keeping with their nautical theme)

I'm going to stick my head on the chopping block here.....
In defence of Sandra and so called 'cheating' ...
She has admitted she has a crush on Sam, but it ends there. From what we have been shown, nothing inappropriate has happened, they are just friends and haven't done anything other than be friends. BB has done its best edit to try and make more of it, but this was the best they could come up with. Believe me if there was anything more to it, I'm sure they would have shown it.
I don't believe that they should be accused of cheating, when no cheating has actually happened. Sandra will get over it and move on IMO.
Oh and what was with the promo- jealousy, passion, betrayal? I didn't see any of these things - did anyone else?
You know what I found odd? When she was speaking to lawson, it seemed like sections were cut out, just like there were sections cut out from Sam and Sandra's previous discussions. In one setting, it just seemed like there was cut and paste in that scene to create it the way it was. It wasn't just two people talking as is. Maybe I'm crazy, but that's how it looked to me.

Back