Skip to main content

Dance Thread

HOW TO STAY YOUNG , BBC series

We should definitely all be dancers...

105079.gif

Muscle shrinkage and weakening is almost inevitable as we age (from our 30s onwards is speeds up "rapidly"), but dancing is one of the best exercises to help us stay young.

An experiment in Germany saw 20 elderly men and women dance for three hours a week, while another 20 trained in a gym. After six months the dancers saw a 15 per cent improvement in muscle strength, while the gym group had little difference. Dancing stimulates more muscles, tests your flexibility and uses your brain and your balance. It's more "comprehensive and holistic."

Various experiments confirm dancing as the most effective all round exercise.

On Now, history & dancing - awesome

Dancing Cheek To Cheek

'Episode 1: The Devil�s Work?'

SBS, 7:30pm, Fri, 16 Sep 2016, 65 minutes

ON NOW NEW SHOW

Len Goodman and Lucy Worsley explore how dancing went from being frowned upon as dangerous and debauched in the 17th century to being celebrated as an essential social skill in the 18th century. Len uncovers the long history of English country dancing at Middle Temple Hall and Lucy reveals how the dance-mad French King Louis XIV influenced British fashion as she learns a Baroque court dance designed to express her deepest emotions.

Len Goodman, Lucy Worsley

Series, United Kingdom, English, Documentary, Arts & Culture

Best male dancer EVER imo (Mr Gene Kelly).

The "Best of" this dancing genius.

If ever anyone links this wonderful scene I HAVE to watch it...I just love it and Gene Kelly. Gene Kelly was actually quite ill when he did this dance which makes it even more amazing. He was apparently a bit of tyrant according to some but I just prefer to think he was a perfectionist. ;) This has to be one of the all time, feel good dance pieces ever :D

Synchronised walking - is kind of like dancing, who knows what is going on???

And Swiss - best drumliners in the world, dancing drummers, the beat go's on, dancing & drums go together')

And Sia's latest dancing clip, Maddie is exquisite, this is the best one yet, apparently Sia's tribute to the Orlando shooting victims

Have you seen a live chorus line???
If not put it on your bucket list -

I saw A Chorus Line in Melbourne when very young, omg it was so awesome, seeing those coordinated high kicking legs.

On Sept. 29, 1983, A Chorus Line became the longest running show in Broadway history. (It has since been surpassed by Les Misèrables, Cats, and Phantom of the Opera). For the record-breaking performance, director Michael Bennett assembled over 300 current and former cast members and created an unforgettable evening of theatre, where the actors from various companies of the show tag-teamed the entire performance.....
....and the evening concluded in this incredible finale, with hundreds of Chorus Line alums filling the Shubert Theatre with "One" amazing singular sensation. (The stage had to be reinforced to support them all.)

If ever anyone links this wonderful scene I HAVE to watch it...I just love it and Gene Kelly. Gene Kelly was actually quite ill when he did this dance which makes it even more amazing. He was apparently a bit of tyrant according to some but I just prefer to think he was a perfectionist. ;) This has to be one of the all time, feel good dance pieces ever :D
Glad you liked watching this clip @lynn-ann:thumbsup: The guy truly was a magician with his feet.

Ooo la la, just what I need, a new way to tap for fitness, love tapping

TAP FIT

https://tapfit.com/event/tapfit-malvern-victoria-australia/2016-10-26/?v=6cc98ba2045f

class-image-1-1024x683.jpg

While exercise is good for your brain, tap dancing is even better! Dr. John Ratey & Eric Hagerman explain that complex activities strengthen and expand the brain network. The reason is this: any motor skill more complicated than walking has to be learned, it challenges the brain. At first, the new skill is challenging but as the circuits linking different areas of the brain are activated (the cerebellum, basal ganglia, and prefrontal cortex), your movements become more precise. With repetition, you are creating thicker myelin around the nerve fibers which improves the quality and speed of the signals from your brain telling your body to move.

The Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York found that while many activities offered cardiovascular benefits, dancing is the only form of physical activity to assist in preventing cognitive decline.
 The College of Medicine studied various forms of activity and its affects on reducing the risk of Dementia. The results were as follows:

1. BICYCLING AND SWIMMING 0%
  2. PLAYING GOLF 0%
  3. READING 35%
  4. DOING CROSSWORD PUZZLES AT LEAST FOUR DAYS A WEEK 47%
  5. DANCING FREQUENTLY 76%
system_6.jpg

taps_1-387x400.jpg

TAPfit-Official-SM.jpg

Back