Skip to main content

Celebrity BBUK 2024: Launches 4 March

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the production room when Louis said he knew 100% that Sharon was in the house. Probably made them wish they weren't live so they could cut it out of the show.

Will Best.

Sharon Osbourne and Louis Walsh. Otherwise seems like a bunch of nobodies.

Fern Britton is a great signing - she’s the calibre of contestant you would expect for the bigger reality shows. Arguably, Nikita too, who dances on Strictly Come Dancing, which is one of the most popular tv shows we have so he is well known to many.

Colson from Coronation Street is a good signing on paper - he’s been in the show for 11 years, and still is, but he’s not an iconic character known by people who don’t really watch the show.

Levi is an interesting signing and his cooking brand is well known over here - he’s known to many by name, but maybe not by face or personality.

Ekin is known well enough on the reality tv circuit (at least she’s is known for winning an popular reality tv show, unlike other contestants who are from Real Housewives and Ibiza Weekender) and the guy from Heartstopper is on a popular show but isn’t exactly a leading role in it. But outside of that it’s the calibre of celebrity you’d expect to see on the show Celebs Go Dating, which is known to cast the dregs of the showbiz circuit.

There are some good but also some real dud ones. I always reserve judgement because on launch night, but it just wasn’t very exciting.

I wasn’t bothered by celebrity big brother coming back, and my opinion hasn’t really changed - I don’t think we need it yet. I do worry it will underperform on ITV1 and undo the good work they did in making BB a success on ITV2.

Last edited:
A very poor line up - even just removing two of the non-entities and having 10 rather than 12 might improve it. Also was a poor production - the links felt overly long and laboured and the twist made it more Celebrity Gogglebox than Celebrity Big Brother and denied us what we watch launch shows for - that awkward meet and greet. The twist would have worked better with Sharon and Louis meeting everyone in person.

Don't feel like I've any reason to watch the rest of the series.

I don’t want to be a purist and I totally understand the reasoning behind it but this series isn’t helped by the fact that it’s in March rather than its traditional new year slot. There was always something about it being the first “new” show of the year and an event to look forward to rather than just any old TV show.

I also think the civilian series could fall in to that same category no longer being a summer show. The first series being just that and ITV’s heavy promotion of it helped sort of muddle over the series being later in the year and helped build a sense of it being a big event. However if the lacklustre promotion of CBB is anything to go off of and failure to really nail this premiere I fear the second civilian series will arrive feeling just as half baked.

I wasn’t bothered by celebrity big brother coming back, and my opinion hasn’t really changed - I don’t think we need it yet. I do worry it will underperform on ITV1 and undo the good work they did in making BB a success on ITV2.
Same although if you look at the C5 era the civilian series being crap never really dragged down CBB so hopefully it’s a similar situation here.

Also consider (Brekkie mentioned this on Twitter) that while the audience for the civilian series seemed to embrace it being a C4esque series the audience for CBB are all in for the C5 era of the show. Which should indicate that there’s at least some distinction being made between the two series atm. To me it’s definitely indicative of this series being done too early in to this new era which is still yet to really define itself.

My biggest fear going in to the second civilian series is that ITV will look at first series ratings as a sign that they have a winning formula and won’t do enough to address the criticisms we gave them a pass on.

Late & Live got ots lowest ratings last night - only 290k tuned in.
As the saying goes, play stupid games, win stupid prizes… The majority of that budget could be spent in much better ways. Said this a handful of times on Twitter but for the sake of conversation here; Cut BBLL down to once a week and use the remaining budget on extended live feed, a dedicated nominations show, and an unseen clips/DR Uncut style show to fill the Saturday gap.

Second episode was better than the first... Still loathe this BB voice. On the fence about Louis bluntness. It could end up being entertaining or it could get old really fast. David doesn't seem as annoying as I initially thought he'd be even if his fashion sense is a bit off. Sharron seems reasonable but definitely not worth what they're paying her. I think Levi is a potential winner... IDK at the moment he's giving that sort of middle of the road type energy. Zeze is definitely going to pop off at some point... Most likely at Louis. Fern seems alright although I do have to wonder if she's too much of a "presenter" to really go anywhere in the house. The rest I'm going to have to see where things go.

Late & Live got ots lowest ratings last night - only 290k tuned in.
Yikes. Though I guess its to be expected, last year L&L probably got a ratings boost from people falling asleep or walking away from the TV while the main show was still on and ended up viewing L&L. With it being on a different channel this go around, only those that are intentionally wanting to watch it are going to be there.

That said, the sideshows after a live Launch always felt pointless because just there isn't much to talk about to make it worthwhile. Aside from some short clips of what happened during the breaks or while the VTs were being shown to the audience (which is likely just fluff anyway), there isn't really anything that makes it a must-watch because we've already seen the big stuff play out live. Even though they likely aired Sharon and Louis returning from the lair, that is absolutely going to make the highlights show the next night so why end up watching it twice?

Ok I'm caught up, Sharon and Louis had me revisiting the old clips of X Factor where they get the giggles during the auditions. Classic. They havent really explained what they mean by Sharon being a 'Celebrity Lodger' and getting her own room though? Is She only there for a while or its just special treatment conditional on getting her on the show perhaps.

The rest seem fun. David did seem full on at first but I too think theres a bit more to see behind that.

Did anyone catch someone waving around a picture frame of George Galloway with cat ears and whiskers behind AJ and Will? LOL
giphy.gif

I think BBLL could be trimmed, It really dosent need 45 minutes IMO. I think I prefer where I'm at in my watchthrough of C4 era with those shows atm where BBLB, Big Mouth and Big Brain are on a strict timeline of having 22 minutes to get through the motions and the different segments and what not and its a bit more punchy and to the point.

BBLL seems to be going for the Graham Norton show effect of having them all informal on the couch at once and thus some points get a bit rehashed sometimes I find as im skimming through, but as they have a longer runtime they let them go on for a bit as well IYKWIM.

If it was tighter at least it would be only the episodes where the Eviction Interview is incorporated where they might need to scramble to fit in any extra content but I dunno. How long was the runtime for Bits On The Side? I'm not up to those yet but It seems to me that was a show that was trying to be all the different spin offs combined back into the one from what I gather.

Ok I'm caught up, Sharon and Louis had me revisiting the old clips of X Factor where they get the giggles during the auditions. Classic. They havent really explained what they mean by Sharon being a 'Celebrity Lodger' and getting her own room though? Is She only there for a while or its just special treatment conditional on getting her on the show perhaps.
Revealing what they mean by “lodger” would require they admit they’re paying her way too much money for a week. No doubt the special treatment she’s receiving is just to ensure they’re getting their monies worth off her and she doesn’t decide to duck out early.

Revealing what they mean by “lodger” would require they admit they’re paying her way too much money for a week.
If some reports are to believed, she's getting £100,000 a day. The whole lodger thing is because they desperately wanted to have her on the show, but what she wanted to be paid to be a full housemate was outside of what the show was able to offer. So they ended up coming up with this instead, which is basically what they offered Stormy Daniels in 2018 - a fixed term stay in the house at a lower cost.

Also, L&L slid to 232,000 viewers for the second episode. 😂

Last edited:
I think BBLL could be trimmed, It really dosent need 45 minutes IMO. I think I prefer where I'm at in my watchthrough of C4 era with those shows atm where BBLB, Big Mouth and Big Brain are on a strict timeline of having 22 minutes to get through the motions and the different segments and what not and its a bit more punchy and to the point.
Actually think on it a bit more BBLB also had the Sunday episode that went for 45 minutes (included a big recap interview with the evictee) but at least they had bit more of a variety of different segments otherwise than BBLL utilises all that space for I guess, I dunno.

I'm loving watching Sharon. What a queen.

Gary can go home. Has shit to say about Meagan yet hasn't even met her.

The season is oookay so far. It feels like Sharon is not delivering as much as the producers hoped. The danger zone was a bit of a flop - the set up was there for her and Louis to be real bitches but it never really eventuated.

When Sharon isn't explicitly falling asleep at nominations then you can tell she's ducking out frequently during the day to her private bedroom to sleep or gtf away from everyone else.

I don't really know most of the cast so in my mind I'm treating them like regular housemates. Gary is just awful... keeps talking about how he wants to present the real him but can't stop slagging off Meagan, pretending he has goss on stuff he obviously has nothing to do with and then praises Trump? okay mate.

Also not a fan of Louis, he is giving me probo boomer vibes. When he talks about female housemates, there are flashes of old school misogyny.

Whenever Sharon speaks, I think she's about to say "do you think you're capable of winning this contest?"

The season is oookay so far. It feels like Sharon is not delivering as much as the producers hoped. The danger zone was a bit of a flop - the set up was there for her and Louis to be real bitches but it never really eventuated.

When Sharon isn't explicitly falling asleep at nominations then you can tell she's ducking out frequently during the day to her private bedroom to sleep or gtf away from everyone else.

I don't really know most of the cast so in my mind I'm treating them like regular housemates. Gary is just awful... keeps talking about how he wants to present the real him but can't stop slagging off Meagan, pretending he has goss on stuff he obviously has nothing to do with and then praises Trump? okay mate.

Also not a fan of Louis, he is giving me probo boomer vibes. When he talks about female housemates, there are flashes of old school misogyny.

Whenever Sharon speaks, I think she's about to say "do you think you're capable of winning this contest?"

fk me, she looks 50 years older now!

Back