Skip to main content

CBB UK 2018 - Discussion

Kingston

Canadian Royalty
I'm about half way through the launch and I'm finding this rather subdue launch rather refreshing... The most refreshing change has been the absence of the obnoxious booming voice of Marcus Bentley... I also think it's amazing that I'm just over 30 minutes in to the episode and I really haven't heard a single boo!

Ummm whomever is fact checking Emma's script needs to be fired... The legendary Jackie Stallone was 83 years old when she appeared in 2005 and Lionel Blair was 85 in 2013...

My gosh what a beautiful house. Love the diary room chair and the bathroom and the couches and just all of it really.

Hello BB tragics!

I’m in!

I never watch housemates enter the house. My interest peaks once they get in.

Here’s to a great season :)

The news Marcus wouldn't do the launch show meant I actually watched it. Was a bit flat and the pre-entrance interviews were not needed - far more interesting to see more of how the HMs introduce themselves to each other (especially in Celeb BB) than them talking pre-entrance.

Notable that 5 of the 8 so-called celebrities aren't even famous enough to have a wikipedia, and the pretence this is all about 100 years of the female vote has been seen through by viewers as the lazy twist it actually is - at least first time around in 2007 it was worth the experiment and fairly well executed, even though it wasn't brilliantly received and really the beginning of the end for Big Brother on C4. It might be more interesting this time if they just left it an all female house throughout, and actually sticking with 8 HMs on launch might mean most HMs get some airtime over the first few days compared to 16 nobodies fighting for the limelight as usual.

Last edited:
Ummm whomever is fact checking Emma's script needs to be fired... The legendary Jackie Stallone was 83 years old when she appeared in 2005 and Lionel Blair was 85 in 2013...
I am currently watching Jackie’s season. She has just been evicted and her behaviour in the house was fucking hilarious!

Omg that disgusting overweight giant hobbit who picks his nose and eats it is HORRENDOUS

The news Marcus wouldn't do the launch show meant I actually watched it. Was a bit flat and the pre-entrance interviews were not needed - far more interesting to see more of how the HMs introduce themselves to each other (especially in Celeb BB) than them talking pre-entrance.

Notable that 5 of the 8 so-called celebrities aren't even famous enough to have a wikipedia, and the pretence this is all about 100 years of the female vote has been seen through by viewers as the lazy twist it actually is - at least first time around in 2007 it was worth the experiment and fairly well executed, even though it wasn't brilliantly received and really the beginning of the end for Big Brother on C4. It might be more interesting this time if they just left it an all female house throughout, and actually sticking with 8 HMs on launch might mean most HMs get some airtime over the first few days compared to 16 nobodies fighting for the limelight as usual.

The entrance interviews are something I've always disliked no matter how they're done but it was refreshing to see them done in a more relaxed setting... I agree... I think they should have considered dropping "celebrity" from the title for this series altogether...This feels like more of an "experimental" format like Celebrity Hi-jack or Teen Big Brother than it does anything else...

I am currently watching Jackie’s season. She has just been evicted and her behaviour in the house was fucking hilarious!

Omg that disgusting overweight giant hobbit who picks his nose and eats it is HORRENDOUS

From her response to Bridget's "OMG" when she first walked through the door, her outrageous demands on BB, calling Kenzie "that little boy", to her constant bickering with John... There wasn't a moment that Jackie was in that house that wasn't hilarious...

That exit interview though... I can imagine how difficult it must have been for Davina but seriously she's handled far worse situations in a more professional manner than she did Jackie... I still laughed my ass off though... Because... Well... Jackie... LMFAO!

Ok so India has brought up some of her views on gender identity and sexuality over the last few episodes... Given how this has come across I feel like I need to address some things that she's said...

In her VT she addressed the issue of a relationship between cis-gender person and a trans-gender person... I agree with her that there shouldn't be a stigma attached to such a relationship at all... At the end of the day love is love and that's all that matters...

On the other hand I don't think she has a full understanding of the idea that the terms we use to describe gender identity and sexuality are evolving... The term LGBT as a means of describing this "community" of sexual minorities really is becoming extremely outdated... It's so much more than just gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and trans... I feel to an extent this is still how India sees things... Like she sees anything that isn't gay, lesbian, or bisexual as being trans which is not at all the case...

She says she's uncomfortable with the way others have apparently adopted the term in non-traditional ways... I'd like to know where she's witnessed this... I mean I know several drag queens who would be very offended if you tried to imply they were trans just because they dress in drag... On the other hand I know of trans-gender woman and men who found comfort in the drag community as they were trying to reconcile their identity... I feel a bit like India could be looking down a bit on those people because they went through a slightly different route that the one she took...

Any one else want to give this a shot?

I'm also a bit upset that no one stood up to Ann's disgust in the conversation about nudity... Seriously how much SHAME is there about a woman's body? While the same level of scrutiny does not apply to men... This is exactly why woman like Rachel are asked to pose nude as a means of celebrating woman and it makes me so unbelievably upset that not a single one of these woman were able to point that out to her!!!

I feel like Ann could be an interesting character if the other HM's can get her to really start embracing a new way of seeing things... She was so critical during the task and they all kind of just let her sit there with her arms crossed shaking her head... Very disappointing...

Last edited:
Opening night i thought oh gawd this will be rubbish. Where are all the trashy reality stars who get blind drunk on opening night and we have a pair of tits on our screens. Nobody does trashy tv like the poms and i love it. .

The first episode though i really enjoyed. Not sure it would keep my attention for 4 weeks but it was interesting. Lets see what happens.

Best thing for me thus far is Emma, god I love her.

Enjoying this season so far, especially the conversations..hope that doesnt change when the men go in

So it's official... The BB producers have admitted defeat at the hands of their biggest rival Love Island... This is a sad day in BBUK history...

First time I watched a launch show without fast forwarding. Although the set up premise is a bit contrived, I found the interviews and mix of housemates really interesting.

That said, I've always thought BB should be social experiment over trash TV. The way it was put together was very like old C4 BB.

Now to catch up on episodes. Have already seen spoilers of Australia's contribution to the show lawl.

First time I watched a launch show without fast forwarding. Although the set up premise is a bit contrived, I found the interviews and mix of housemates really interesting.

That said, I've always thought BB should be social experiment over trash TV. The way it was put together was very like old C4 BB.

Now to catch up on episodes. Have already seen spoilers of Australia's contribution to the show lawl.

While I agree with the overall sentiment of your post I think this is still very much a Channel 5 series... The small changes have been refreshing to see... That said we're only 4 days in.... I'm not getting my hopes up that they'll maintain this upward trajectory just yet...

The start of BB14 felt like a second coming in the early weeks of the series but quickly fell back in to trashy twists and producer manipulation...

I guess only time will time how this series will be remembered...

India lost a few points with me tonight... Not that I don't think she's in the right to be upset with the group but more than she's going about it the wrong way... Hopefully she'll be will thing to sit down of the next few episodes with Amanda work things out properly... If she doesn't she's going to further isolate herself from...

As for Ann I think that's a lost cause as shes too stubborn and won't listen to any other opinion that doesn't suit her own... I'm complete backed away from statements made yesterday she's to set in her ways to change or make any effort... I'll be interested in see how she responds to Courtney and some of the younger lads...

India says shes afraid of drag queens... Hopefully she'll be able to get to know Courtney a bit better and maybe even bond... I really don't think India understands them and where the fit within the sexual minority community... Especially when it comes to the fact and not all drag queens are trans and help build a bridge between the two communities...

Ok I'm up to date now.

The mens launch show was a bit cringy. For a season that's supposed to be celebrating women, it seems like it's now up to them to repair the reputation of some douchey men. Blergh.

Could do without the too-confident ladsy reality TV leftovers.

The situation between Manda and India: What Manda needs to do is apologise, explicitly acknowledge India's feelings and then explain what steps she's going to take to prevent herself misgendering again.

Courtney's wardrobe malfunction was genuinely terrible, I really felt bad for them. Bad first impression for the voting audience and also bad first impression for the other housemates bursting in looking shellshocked and dropping the skirt again!

India says shes afraid of drag queens... Hopefully she'll be able to get to know Courtney a bit better and maybe even bond

I assume that India might feel uneasy about drag queens because they may lead people to not accept her gender identify seriously. Shane is smart and articulate and I also hope they'll get to know each other better. Shane is probably more non binary than India so they might clash over that.

Back