Skip to main content

Big Brother Australia Media Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
And one featuring Ray:

Deadly virus spreads
Kiri Ten Dolle | 1st June 2012 5:58 PM

IS250512PARVOVIRUS1_t325.JPG

CANINE HEALTH: Dr Ray Baxter from Greencross Vet Clinic, Redbank Plains says he has been treating Parvovirus consistently in the past six months.

AN outbreak of parvovirus across the south-west has reached alarming heights, with local vets reminding dog owners to vaccinate their pets to prevent further spread of the disease.

In the past three months, 158 cases of canine parvovirus have been reported in Queensland, more than 50% of them in Brisbane and Ipswich.

The puppy disease was believed to have spread during the recent floods and subsequent rainfalls.

Redbank Plains veterinarian Ray Baxter said the number of dogs he had treated for parvovirus had spiked in the past six months.

"We have been seeing at least one dog a month," he said.

"There are weeks when we see five cases and there are weeks when we see 10."

Mr Baxter said parvovirus was more common is low socio-economic areas as many people did not vaccinate their dogs.

As a result, he said suburbs such as Redbank Plains and Goodna had become high-risk to the highly contagious disease.

"The moment an infected dog goes to a park and goes to the toilet there, every other non-vaccinated dog that smells or licks that spot is going to get the virus," he said.

Parvovirus could be passed on from not only direct contact with another dog, but also from hydro baths and previously contaminated soil in peoples' backyards.

"There are reports the virus can stay in the ground for up to 12 years," Mr Baxter said.

"It's very rare that it will live in the ground for 12 years, but it will definitely remain in the environment for several years.

"When it rains and the water levels rise, parvovirus can shift from one backyard and into another property."

Booval Vet Clinic practice manager Debbie Render, who has treated a number of cases in the south-west, said the disease cycle was vicious and not easily eradicated.

"People may lose a dog to parvo and after some time decide to get a new puppy," she said.

"What they don't know is the virus stays in the ground in their backyard and the new unvaccinated puppy will pick it straight up.

"We don't know why we are still seeing cases as it is unusual at this time of year and more regular in the summer months."

Common signs of parvovirus include tiredness, loss of appetite, severe vomiting and diarrhoea.

"The dog becomes severely dehydrated," Mr Baxter said.

"The virus attacks the cells inside the intestines, killing them and causing the dog to lose blood and become anaemic."

Greencross Vet Clinic at Redbank Plains upgraded their facilities two years ago and installed an isolation ward solely for parvovirus patients after noticing a consistent number of infections in the area.

Mr Baxter said the isolation ward the only one of its kind in south-east Queensland and other vets were referring dogs infected with parvovirus to his clinic.

"Puppies are most at risk, but the disease is so easy to prevent if they are vaccinated," he said.

While Mr Baxter said 95% of his patients survived parvovirus, the treatment was expensive.

"It costs $230 to for a course of three needles to vaccinate a puppy, now compare that to $1500 for what it costs at a bare minimum to treat parvo," he said.

The disease can not be contracted by humans.

From here.

So according to the Bradley article:

"At Trinity, he was a good student. His favourite subject was drama and he was captain at Carthage House." it doesn't make him an actor but not too many socially awkward people would name drama as their favourite subject."

and they only moved to the little town in October last year, so when he auditioned he would have only been living there less than 6 months, prior to the they lived in Goonellabah, near Lismore.

So according to the Bradley article:

"At Trinity, he was a good student. His favourite subject was drama and he was captain at Carthage House." it doesn't make him an actor but not too many socially awkward people would name drama as their favourite subject."

and they only moved to the little town in October last year, so when he auditioned he would have only been living there less than 6 months, prior to the they lived in Goonellabah, near Lismore.

Because when he's acting is when he is not socially awkward as he is being someone other than himself (ie batman).

Put him in a situation where he needs to be himself and then you have socially awkward Bradley.

Big Brother 'secret' revealed

by: Holly Byrnes From: The Daily Telegraph August 19, 2012 8:18PM

The rebooted Big Brother show is already battling to maintain viewer interest.

448392-big-brother-2012.jpg

Picture: Channel Nine Source: Supplied

THE royal family "secret" of Big Brother glamour girl Layla Subritzky has apparently continued a weekend of leaks for the rebooted TV franchise already battling to keep up flagging viewer interest.

Before the latest secrets were revealed to the boys of BB - who must match them to their female housemates or face eviction - a fan site has claimed to have uncovered Subritzky's distant Polish royal pedigree, pegging her as the housemate claiming to be "a member of a Royal Family."

The curvaceous 24-year-old from Manchester, England raised early suspicions with royalo watchers after also revealing her family tree ties her to Europe and the Pacific Islands.

But Behind Big Brother claims a follower has linked "Layla Joyce Subritzky" to former Polish monarch John III Sobieski.
The spoiler site also revealed almost half of this year's contestants have previously worked in the entertainment industry, with questions raised as to whether they auditioned like other "everyday Aussies" or were cast directly into the house.
The royal ties make Subritzky the obvious choice for the last of BB's latest secrets, which include:
•I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
•I was a champion weightlifter
•I am a high school dropout
•I was a nude protester
•I used to be an emo
•I was a hand model
•I am a member of a Royal Family

The male housemates were told about the new clues in their new "Man Cave" - previously The Parlour, where the girls were able to discuss their suspicions about which secret matched each of the blokes.
The first of the profile puzzles were confirmed by BB revealing:
•I have an IQ of a genius - MICHAEL (26) QLD Advertising copy writer
•I have Ornithophobia from an emu attack (a fear of birds) - BRADLEY (18) NSW Supermarket Check-Out
•I have been fired from every job - BENJAMIN (32) VIC Retail Sales
•I haven’t had a girlfriend since I was 11 - RYAN (21) VIC Model
•I am a juvenile offender - RAY (25) QLD Veterinarian
•I have dated more than 100 women - JOSH (28) SA Singer in a rock band
•I am a multi-millionaire - GEORGE (25) WA Mining Electrician

The girls fell just short of matching all seven clues which now exposes them to elimination with nominations to be announced during Monday's live show from 7.30pm.

Channel 9 will be hoping the reality series lifts from its late week slump, dropping below 900,000 viewers on Friday night (down from its debut of 1.68 million).

IN other BB house gossip:
•Brad celebrated his birthday in the house on Friday night, with a "superhero" themed party.
•Despite being followed around like a puppy by B-Rad, law student Estelle hooked up with model Ryan.

http://www.news.com.au/national/big-brother-secret-revealed/story-fndo4bst-1226453638367

Lifting the lid on Big Brother

Paul Weston | 12:01am August 19, 2012

AFTER touring the Big Brother technical compound at Dreamworld, just 300m from "The House", the grandfather of producing reality TV, Howard Parker, revealed the location of some of the cameras used on the Big Brother set.

Seven camera operators will have access to 42 cameras -- 10 more than previous series -- including five which are infra-red.

"There are seven (cameras) in the toilets," Mr Parker told Coast Confidential.

The senior executive producer, a gentleman, did not give any further explanation.

"Each room, when you see it, will stand out. The bathroom is so dramatic," he added.

But umm, Mr Parker ... what about those toilets? Did you use cameras there before?

"Yes, but never for any purpose other than ensuring that housemates don't go in there in numbers and collude and play a game against Big Brother."

Of course, one should never use a toilet to collude.
"Big Brother frowns upon that," Mr Parker replied.

CC has read about co-habitating in cubicles, even at 35,000 feet -- remember that randy English actor Ralph Fiennes with an Aussie stewardess?

But never colluding, not at least since cities were sewered and conversations ended with big blokes in singlets urgently seeking to replace your can.

And did young nervous housemate Bradley know about these cameras before he bolted to the loo this week? He was ... considerably ill.

Our investigations suggest the technical staff are not on loo watch unless numbers of housemates decide to enter cubicles.

As always with Big Brother technology, there is positive spin.

During a US Big Brother series, a female housemate angry with a male colleague used his toothbrush to clean the toilet only to be exposed and reprimanded. Something to think about, if you are sitting down ... on a cold seat ... reading this story on a mobile device ... not one of BB's but a CCTV variety by the beach.

"This is CCTV speaking. Don't look down, sit firm, no need to do the shuffle. And please, always flush."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/08/19/436922_gossip-news.html

Big Brother 'secret' revealed
Holly Byrnes
August 19, 2012 8:18PM

THE royal family "secret" of Big Brother glamour girl Layla Subritzky has apparently continued a weekend of leaks for the rebooted TV franchise already battling to keep up flagging viewer interest.

Before the latest secrets were revealed to the boys of BB - who must match them to their female housemates or face eviction - a fan site has claimed to have uncovered Subritzky's distant Polish royal pedigree, pegging her as the housemate claiming to be "a member of a Royal Family."

Scroll down to blog with Holly Byrnes about Big Brother at 12.30pm Monday

The curvaceous 24-year-old from Manchester, England raised early suspicions with royalo watchers after also revealing her family tree ties her to Europe and the Pacific Islands.

But Behind Big Brother claims a follower has linked "Layla Joyce Subritzky" to former Polish monarch John III Sobieski.

The spoiler site also revealed almost half of this year's contestants have previously worked in the entertainment industry, with questions raised as to whether they auditioned like other "everyday Aussies" or were cast directly into the house.

The royal ties make Subritzky the obvious choice for the last of BB's latest secrets, which include:

• I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
  • I was a champion weightlifter
  • I am a high school dropout
  • I was a nude protester
  • I used to be an emo
  • I was a hand model
  • I am a member of a Royal Family

The male housemates were told about the new clues in their new "Man Cave" - previously The Parlour, where the girls were able to discuss their suspicions about which secret matched each of the blokes.

The first of the profile puzzles were confirmed by BB revealing:

• I have an IQ of a genius - MICHAEL (26) QLD Advertising copy writer
  • I have Ornithophobia from an emu attack (a fear of birds) - BRADLEY (18) NSW Supermarket Check-Out
  • I have been fired from every job - BENJAMIN (32) VIC Retail Sales
  • I haven’t had a girlfriend since I was 11 - RYAN (21) VIC Model
  • I am a juvenile offender - RAY (25) QLD Veterinarian
  • I have dated more than 100 women - JOSH (28) SA Singer in a rock band
  • I am a multi-millionaire - GEORGE (25) WA Mining Electrician
The girls fell just short of matching all seven clues which now exposes them to elimination with nominations to be announced during Monday's live show from 7.30pm.

Channel 9 will be hoping the reality series lifts from its late week slump, dropping below 900,000 viewers on Friday night (down from its debut of 1.68 million).

IN other BB house gossip:

• Brad celebrated his birthday in the house on Friday night, with a "superhero" themed party.
  • Despite being followed around like a puppy by B-Rad, law student Estelle hooked up with model Ryan.

From here:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...-secret-revealed/story-e6frfmyi-1226453638367

And it says there will be a live blog there tomorrow if anyone wants to mention livefeed.

I mentioned the live feed , the lack there of, brought here up to date with some of the secrets, oh yea.. i flirted with her to lulz,

she's quite the hotness, told her she was the Pippa Middleton of online media, her reply was - you're a wise man.
roflz.

Girls on the edge as Big Brother gets serious

by: HOLLY BYRNES, NATIONAL TV WRITER
August 20, 2012 9:05PM

502940-charne-big-brother-2012.jpg

Charne is among three housemates facing eviction. Source: Supplied

VINTAGE pin-up Charne, law student Estelle and Brit beautician Layla are the first three housemates to face eviction from the Big Brother house for 2012.

All seven women exposed themselves to nomination after losing their "secrets" challenge on Sunday night, failing to match the mystery identities to each of the seven male housemates.
All housemates cast nominations, with Gold Coast cabaret singer Charne scoring 15 votes from the boys and Estelle proving unpopular with the other women.

The latter's Saturday hook-up with himbo Ryan could prove to be her biggest mistake - drawing boos from the studio audience already siding with Brad, who had confessed a crush on her; and the housemates who have already shown their contempt for Ryan and were put out by her instincts she would score votes for "spooning" him.

Under a new five-point voting system, the male housemates had to share their points across two nominees, in any combination (eg four points to one housemate, one to another; or a three-two split).
The voting process has been made more challenging with each housemate forced to tell BB their choices in a new room, complete with a sound-proof booth where they are watched nominating by their peers.
While they can't hear selections, the housemate must instantly face those they nominated on the trip back into the main house.

In previous years, nominations have been done in isolation in the Diary Room.
Host Sonia Kruger, nicknamed Krugs by the contestants, crossed live to the house several times, confirming the $250,000 prize pool.
The vote is now open to the public, with a new twist allowing fans to save their favourites - rather than evict.

Final nominations by the boys were as following:

MICHAEL: 1 pt Estelle, 4 pts Charne ("she doesn't like me.")
JOSH: 3 pts Charne ("she's quite controlling,") 2 pts Sarah
RAY: 4 pts Charne ("she's too much of a perfectionist,") 1 pt Estelle
GEORGE: 3 pts Angie ("she's probably the laziest housemate,") 2 pts Layla
BRADLEY: 4 pts Charne ("she's a bit controlling and takes over too much,") 1 pt Zoe
RYAN: 4 pts Stacey ("strategic, she's playing the game really well,") 1 pt Layla
BENJAMIN: 4 pts Layla ("she's upset with a fad diet,") 1 pt Angie

Final nominations by the girls were as following:

ANGIE: 3 pts Estelle ("she's initiated competition,") 2 pts Charne
STACEY: 3 pts Charne ("she has made no effort with the other girls,") 2 pts Estelle
LAYLA: 3 pts Estelle ("I get spoken over quite a lot,") 2 pts Charne
ZOE: 4 pts Estelle ("she puts herself higher than the rest of us,") 1 pt Sarah
SARAH: 2 pts Layla, 3 pts Angie ("I believe she's playing the game really forcefully")
CHARNE: 3 pts Zoe ("we haven't connected,") 2 pts Stacey

The final tally:

CHARNE: 22 pts
ESTELLE: 14 pts
LAYLA: 12 pts
STACEY: 6 pts
ANGIE: 4 pts
ZOE: 4 pts
SARAH: 3 pts

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...us/story-e6frfmyi-1226454459133#ixzz245NhJ0ex

Channel Nine's Big Brother bores make bad viewing

* by: Susie O'Brien
* August 21, 2012 12:00AM

I DESPERATELY hope there is one Big Brother secret yet to come: that the housemates are sent home en masse and replaced with a group of people who are interesting, worthy and nice.

I always love Big Brother, but the current crop of housemates seems narcissistic and boring.

This doesn't make for good viewing.

Where are the big Aussie personalities that shone through in past seasons?

Remember Sara-Marie and her bum dance from 2001? She was natural, good-natured and funny, and deserved her ensuing success. She made us laugh with her, not at her - more than you could say about these inmates.

And do you remember Reggie Bird, who won in 2003? I can still recall Reggie crying about how she didn't want to return to her old life working in a fish-and-chip shop with her husband.

She came to realise that she deserved more out of life.

And there was Ryan "Fitzy" Fitzgerald, from the 2004 season, who was much loved for being a genuine Aussie larrikin.

Chrissie Swan, who was runner-up to Reggie in 2003, is perhaps now the best-known former Big Brother contestant. Her personality and warmth shone through, and she's still in great demand.

Among the current housemates, the only one who is genuinely interesting is Bradley, the country "geek". Part of the problem is at least half of the housemates are connected in some way to the media - it's hardly a good way to find an interesting, likeable group of young people.

Source:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/big-brother-bores-make-bad-viewing/story-e6frfhqf-1226454439670

Channel Nine's Big Brother bores make bad viewing

Susie O'Brien
August 21, 201212:00AM

439310-brother.jpg

I DESPERATELY hope there is one Big Brother secret yet to come: that the housemates are sent home en masse and replaced with a group of people who are interesting, worthy and nice.

I always love Big Brother, but the current crop of housemates seems narcissistic and boring.

This doesn't make for good viewing.

Where are the big Aussie personalities that shone through in past seasons?

Remember Sara-Marie and her bum dance from 2001? She was natural, good-natured and funny, and deserved her ensuing success. She made us laugh with her, not at her - more than you could say about these inmates.

And do you remember Reggie Bird, who won in 2003? I can still recall Reggie crying about how she didn't want to return to her old life working in a fish-and-chip shop with her husband.

She came to realise that she deserved more out of life.

And there was Ryan "Fitzy" Fitzgerald, from the 2004 season, who was much loved for being a genuine Aussie larrikin.

Chrissie Swan, who was runner-up to Reggie in 2003, is perhaps now the best-known former Big Brother contestant. Her personality and warmth shone through, and she's still in great demand.

Among the current housemates, the only one who is genuinely interesting is Bradley, the country "geek". Part of the problem is at least half of the housemates are connected in some way to the media - it's hardly a good way to find an interesting, likeable group of young people.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/big-brother-bores-make-bad-viewing/story-e6frfhqf-1226454439670

This person clearly hasn't paid any attention to Big Brother for most of the past decade, because this year's housemates are probably the least narcissistic bunch we've had in a long time. Whether this pays off or whether it results in a really boring second half of the season remains to be seen.

This person clearly hasn't paid any attention to Big Brother for most of the past decade, because this year's housemates are probably the least narcissistic bunch we've had in a long time. Whether this pays off or whether it results in a really boring second half of the season remains to be seen.

Agreed!

The house that narcissism built

Date August 23, 2012

art-Kruger-620x349.jpg

Big Brother, hosted by Sonia Kruger, doesn't get too adventurous.

WHEN Big Brother launched in 2001, my father declared that any child of his caught appearing on the show would be disowned. ''It would be an affront,'' he might have said if he felt obliged to explain himself, ''to the values upon which you were raised.''

Certainly, admission into the Big Brother house is a tacit waiver of self-determination. Successful applicants face a unique public loneliness that makes them vulnerable to, and ignorant of, ridicule. Contestants submit to demeaning manipulation and willingly offer their lives, history and bodies for scrutiny and consumption. Paradoxically, dad's kibosh on freedom was a lesson in the value of independence. My sister Karla choked back her disappointment and discreetly threw her audition tape in the fire. A family crisis was averted, which is a pity because I would have enjoyed a bigger slice of the will.

The Big Brother franchise has been a global staple for more than a decade, but four years ago Australia decided it was time to go. I took patriotic pride in the program's axing, like when quality cafes force the closure of a new Starbucks. Alas, such superciliousness was unfounded and the gloating premature. Reality television's prodigal son has returned. Big Brother is not back by popular demand so much as creative wanting.

Compared with more recent formats, Big Brother's premise of 24-hour video surveillance of complete strangers is positively wholesome. A regular episode has all the fun of eavesdropping on train conversations without the hassle of getting on a train. Some vignettes are hilarious in their abject tedium: an obnoxious 18-year-old expounds on federal politics; a pub-singing surfer seeks adulation for starting a fire; a smug veterinarian throws a tantrum over being denied chocolate milk. In the Big Brother house, there becomes such a thing as dramatic mundanity. Big Brother is proudly non-event television - ordinary people in extraordinarily ordinary circumstances.

All Big Brother house mates are created equal but some are more equal than others. I blush to admit feeling something akin to betrayal when a tentative favourite behaved contrary to the manner that I had expected. Affections are especially fickle given the narrow spectrum of personality types, and the nearest we have to a brown house mate is a contestant who once overslept in a tanning bed.

The recent winner of the British Big Brother is a chef who came out on the show as transsexual and is putting his £50,000 ($75,130) prizemoney towards a prosthetic penis. Meanwhile, one of our women's dirty secrets is that she used to be - shock horror - an emo. The closest Channel Nine gets to outrageous experimentation is Sonia Kruger's wardrobe.

Most of this year's inmates seem partial to the prospect of onscreen attachment and some openly admit to seeking couplehood. I guess it's easier to lock down a man when he is in actual lockdown.

As two guys did sit-ups, a female house mate heckled from the grass: ''Can you take your shirt off?'' Flirting becomes primal, as the voice-over explains, ''With nothing much to do, grooming quickly becomes a regular pastime''. They draw eyebrows on each other and pluck hairs, one chromosome away from sniffing each other's bums. Their love of life can so quickly degenerate into joie de vile.

The orchestrated narrative for the season seems to be a mash-up of soap opera and soft porn. Such mating rituals are intriguing and I'd prefer to learn this than sit through lectures from contestants who think trouble in Syria refers to an iPhone app.

It's widely understood that the majority of contestants who take the reputational risk of going on Big Brother intend to leverage the exposure into some kind of sustained fame. These media neophytes go into the house as ugly ducklings in the hope of emerging as a Chrissie Swan.

In many respects, by having their narcissism validated by 108 cameras, 42 microphones and 300 production crew, these house mates are merely projecting bigger versions of what others are doing online. As a bonus, the job of having to construct a narrative out of daily minutiae resides with Big Brother. George Orwell's dystopia is now taking volunteers.

Personally, I'm suspicious of anyone who agrees to spend three months cocooned without reading or writing material. Throw a camera in the shower and Dreamworld is hell on earth. Moreover, I have enough trouble not offending family, workmates, friends, strangers and potential employers in private conversation without having them all listen at once.

In 2012, there is no illegitimate path into show business, although show business has perhaps itself become more illegitimate. The $250,000 prize is well worth being disowned. Reality TV contestants might prostitute themselves, but at least prostitutes get paid.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...ssism-built-20120822-24l64.html#ixzz24HfrEiaH

The writer of that article has some good points - like Channel Nine not taking a chance on anything.

But that said Fairfax has been staunchly anti Big Brother this year, and hardly impartial. Possibly because the News Limited papers all have the media deals with BB.

The writer of that article has some good points - like Channel Nine not taking a chance on anything.

But that said Fairfax has been staunchly anti Big Brother this year, and hardly impartial

Is it too much to expect impartiality in this day and age of the shrinking "traditional" media empire?

But that said Fairfax has been staunchly anti Big Brother this year, and hardly impartial. Possibly because the News Limited papers all have the media deals with BB.

The thing is, these news outlets shouldn't be reporting on BB. It's not their job or place to be wasting their time writing about BB like this. For entertainment magazines, fluff things yeah.

None of this is news. These entertainment sections seem to have a weird mix of news mixed with opinion pieces. It's just lazy journalism.

No one cares if people don't like BB. Don't like it, great, who gives a crap. It's a whole genre of writing to just bag on certain shows. So people can sit around patting themselves on the back for being "clever."

Reminds me of this http://techland.time.com/2009/09/08/true-tales-of-conversational-vengeance/ peice by a simpsons writer coming across someone who is all, "i don't watch tv."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back