Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020 production / schedule / format talk

Need to hang around North Head when taping starts and stalk him for some pillow talk 😂

Even Alex Mav would of probably turned this shitshow down.

He was responsible for the crapfest that was Love Island Australia. Nothing is beneath him. He tries to copy what the overseas versions are doing and fails miserably every time.

He was responsible for the crapfest that was Love Island Australia. Nothing is beneath him. He tries to copy what the overseas versions are doing and fails miserably every time.

Exactly... He’s proven that as long as he’s getting paid he’ll do whatever the network tells him is best.

Been watching unReal on stan atm and Chet reminds me far too much of Alex Mavrodaikis - Fat, sweaty, slimy and looks like he's constantly on a cocaine comedown.

I have read on the Mediaspy forums that Gretel was the first choice but 7 didnt offer her enough money so she turned them down.
Good grief. Would be such an easy gig: No audiences. Nothing live. Can re-take any screw-ups. Least demanding BB hosting gig ever.

I reckon it was probably more about her 'legacy'. She most likely knew, like all of us, that the odds were 7 was going to create a steaming pile of shit. So she named a ridiculous amount to get her to sign on. That way if they didn't meet it she gets to say she was offered it but said no, and we all continue to wistfully think of Queen Gretel of BB. Or if they did meet her demands and we all inevitably crucified her for associating herself with such an abortion of show, she can comfort herself with that cash cash money.

Looking at the finish date of House Rules (late July) for the last few years even if MKR is pulled early a pre-Olympics date for Big Brother seems to be unlikely.

Pre-recording it of course means they don't have to fit to a weekly schedule - the US/Canada generally have a three episode cycle for the format we think Australia will use, but can always work it into one or two episodes if needed. I think we'll see a two episode cycle myself, with the HoH challenge and nominations in episode 1 (perhaps with a food challenge too) and the Veto Challenge and Eviction in the second episode. This will probably be filmed over 3-4 days in real time.

I think Seven will probably look to air it over about 8 weeks, so around 32 episodes, so they'll probably need around 20 housemates filming over 2 months or so. One advantage of pre-recording is if Intruders do go in they do so with no knowledge of what's happened in the house.

Looking at the finish date of House Rules (late July) for the last few years even if MKR is pulled early a pre-Olympics date for Big Brother seems to be unlikely.
They might run BB right after MKR ends (mid April?) and bump House Rules until afterward the Olympics. They wouldn't have run that Sonia teaser if it wasn't airing for another six months... and besides they have already said it'll be before the Olympics.

They might run BB right after MKR ends (mid April?) and bump House Rules until afterward the Olympics. They wouldn't have run that Sonia teaser if it wasn't airing for another six months... and besides they have already said it'll be before the Olympics.

I’m also certain they’ve said they wanted it to air Sunday through Thursday as well.

The Channel 7 entertainment reporter hinted at a 4-6 week run on the morning show last week when Sonia was announced

The Channel 7 entertainment reporter hinted at a 4-6 week run on the morning show last week when Sonia was announced

4 to 6 weeks? This is shaping up to be even more of a disaster as more information comes out. That said I suppose with it being pre-recorded they aren't bound to a typical weekly schedule so we aren't left feeling like the shows been rushed or back-loaded.

4 to 6 weeks? This is shaping up to be even more of a disaster as more information comes out. That said I suppose with it being pre-recorded they aren't bound to a typical weekly schedule so we aren't left feeling like the shows been rushed or back-loaded.

Audition information indicated a 6-8 week production period from late Feb to early April.
Would be surprised if more than three episodes a week aired, feeling like the 5-6 day a week schedule of some shows is overkill (The Block).

Interesting to note - the first Executive Producer stage at the audition (group environment, mock-BB style) did little in the way of indicating which style of show was being produced (housemate voted or Australia voted), despite the fact that would have a pretty big influence in how one would carry themselves amongst other potential housemates.

Seven seem to have indicated they'll aim for Sun-Thu airings across the year rather than Sun-Wed. Assuming 30 episodes over 6 weeks we're looking at at least 2 evictions a week I imagine - they might go for a 2 episode cycle with the 5th episode being used for an extra eviction (in the style of the double eviction "live" episodes in the US) or any twists, or they'll have 2 evictions most week but switch to nightly evictions towards the end.

Seven seem to have indicated they'll aim for Sun-Thu airings across the year rather than Sun-Wed. Assuming 30 episodes over 6 weeks we're looking at at least 2 evictions a week I imagine - they might go for a 2 episode cycle with the 5th episode being used for an extra eviction (in the style of the double eviction "live" episodes in the US) or any twists, or they'll have 2 evictions most week but switch to nightly evictions towards the end.

I don't see why they couldn't run a 3 episode cycle for the majority of the series... With a condensed cycle for double evictions and the tail end of the series. They'd just be left with a potential cliffhanger on weeks where there's an odd episode in the cycle. A 2 episode cycle seems far too short even with 90/120 minute episodes. They also aren't likely to have a weekly double eviction or enough one off twists to fill an extra episode per week so it only makes sense to let the cycle start again regardless of what day of the week it airs on. Cliffhangers aren't the best from a viewing perspective but from a production standpoint they're great at keeping viewers engaged and creating suspense. Also the fact that almost any episode could be a potential eviction is incentive for the viewers not to skip episodes as every episode has some importance in the overall story.

Back