Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020 production / schedule / format talk

Does anybody have a link to a single episode of BBUSA that they would point to as being the best example of the USA version ?

I'd like to dip a toe but don't want to watch a whole season just to get there. And yes, it may be difficult with just a single episode, but I'm more interested in the "look & feel" and production smarts.
Have only seen snippets so I couldnt direct you to "the best" ones.

• Filming style mostly the same, behind one way mirrors and mounted cameras.
  • House is often two story.
  • Not sure if this is every series, but ones I have seen have pool tables and other games, which I think defeats the purpose somewhat.
  • Virtually all talk is about strategy, alliances, its rare to see HM's sitting around talking about their lives or funny stories.
  • HM's in the diary room are often inter cut through the episode, much like the style of Survivor, Masterchef, etc.
  • You NEVER hear "This is Big Brother", the producer doing the voiceover will often just speak or in some cases refer to themselves by name, so theres no real concept of BB being a single entity.
  • HMs i've seen that get ejected dont get that talk in the diary room about what they did wrong, they just get the boot.
Even if you are ok with gameplay and strategy, in some ways its similar, but in many, it feels really alien.

I am not surprised by Ben’s comments. And we shouldn’t really be bothered by what he says. It is just his “opinion”. As an ex-housemate he doesn’t know anything. He is not involved in production. I think this explains his “point of view”:

Estelle.Landy said:
He pays for his own work with Scoopla.... He will do ANYTHING to remain in the Big Brother scene.

what qualifies him to say people should move on?
I love the fact he is talking with the confidence

He's a radio presenter and cog in the Australia media machine. It's his job to be agreeable so that it increases his chances of being invited on Sunrise to talk about the show. Case in point:

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 3.48.14 pm.png

Funny that Ben lumps all of BBBA in together as being dusty and outdated. Truth is I don't care that much. If the show is shit I just won't watch.

There's this interesting "Big Brother news" Twitter account that's popped up that is FIERCELY defending the new format and pre-recording. The other day they @'ed me to say STOP POSTING RUMOURS. Scuse me m8.

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 3.52.36 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 3.52.53 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 3.53.00 pm.png

Have only seen snippets so I couldnt direct you to "the best" ones.

• Filming style mostly the same, behind one way mirrors and mounted cameras.
  • House is often two story.
  • Not sure if this is every series, but ones I have seen have pool tables and other games, which I think defeats the purpose somewhat.
  • Virtually all talk is about strategy, alliances, its rare to see HM's sitting around talking about their lives or funny stories.
  • HM's in the diary room are often inter cut through the episode, much like the style of Survivor, Masterchef, etc.
  • You NEVER hear "This is Big Brother", the producer doing the voiceover will often just speak or in some cases refer to themselves by name, so theres no real concept of BB being a single entity.
  • HMs i've seen that get ejected dont get that talk in the diary room about what they did wrong, they just get the boot.
Even if you are ok with gameplay and strategy, in some ways its similar, but in many, it feels really alien.

Also take in to account that BB in North America only airs 3 hours per week so rarely is there enough time for anything outside of the core game driven storyline. Another thing to consider is that live feeds are still considered core to the format and this is where you’ll catch HG conversation outside of game play.

BB Canada uses the BB character at key moments throughout the series, however DR sessions are still only used for narration.

Considering 7 have said that BB will still be stripped across Sunday to Thursday there’s a lot more time for storytelling to be all encompassing. You’ll likely still have tactical conversations but they don’t need to be the main focus. Also there’s nothing saying that the BB voice can’t have a presence throughout the series. At the end of the day it’s just the format that’s changing... Pretty much everything else can stay the same.

I'm hoping that because it's pre-recorded they'll have more time to find and edit actual storylines instead of who's tongue landed in someone else's mouth a la CH9.

I don't want to watch horny 20-somethings on BBAU anymore, there's a difference between legitimately provocative programming and just showing people pashing and groping eachother at 2am. Completely wishful thinking - I know, but I think Alex Mavrodaikis not being there to masturbate to each daily show before it goes out to 9's HQ will do some good for the show.

I'm becoming more and more optimistic and open to 7's reboot of the show, it really does need that USA format to try and survive in the 2020 reality tv climate.

What makes him such an expert on what needs to happen with Big Brother?

Because he auditioned every single year until he was picked for 2012, he needs to feel self important somehow..

He's a radio presenter and cog in the Australia media machine. It's his job to be agreeable so that it increases his chances of being invited on Sunrise to talk about the show. Case in point:

View attachment 54971

Funny that Ben lumps all of BBBA in together as being dusty and outdated. Truth is I don't care that much. If the show is shit I just won't watch.

There's this interesting "Big Brother news" Twitter account that's popped up that is FIERCELY defending the new format and pre-recording. The other day they @'ed me to say STOP POSTING RUMOURS. Scuse me m8.

View attachment 54972
View attachment 54973
View attachment 54974
The funny thing by thinking that people on here are dusty and outdated is that there is a lot of fresh ideas coming up here. I think what most people are saying by not making it live is just how much 7 would be missing out on the very opportunity the want to be making the most of - capturing the demographic that they want that have been switching off free to air in droves by giving them a truly interactive option they cannot get through netflix etc. I am in that demographic. The aerial has not been plugged into our tv for 12 months now, and I haven't missed anything FTA - I read things on here and articles sometimes and can find out what has happened and that is enough. The return of BB might have been enough to get me to put the aerial back in the TV, but if it is not live, why would I bother? I may wait till its over, download it and binge watch it later if I read on here that its worth it, but there is no drawcard to watching if its not live.

And if the they are bribing sycophants to spout this crap then they are obviously struggling to believe it will work either.

Hey can we stop the personal attacks on Ben. My post before was a little dry but it was more accepting that that’s his opinion and part of his role in the media landscape, of sorts. It’s not open slather.

TVBB had Ben Norris on as a 4th commentator on their podcast this week.
From what he has said it appears the approach 7 have taken he believes is a good idea. Even referenced BBBA and anyone who want the BB of the Ten years wouldn’t happen, and need to move on from it.
In his opinion it seems he believes the whole supposed prerecorded scenario for this reboot is what needs to happen and it needs to be different to evolve from the Nine era.
I get where he is coming from, but the part of the social experiment is more about the unknown with the incorporation of the audience at home. Otherwise it just becomes another prerecorded reality script driven show.
I’m in two opinions.
Knew I didn't like Ben for a reason - don't get how any true BB fan could think pre-recording it is a good idea. It's like pre-recording the Olympics - and only NBC think that's a good idea.

Not live could mean it's on a ten second delay?

I for one am looking forward to seeing how channel 7 do this season of big brother. It could be great, which will be awesome as there will be lots more seasons. Or it could be a disaster, which will give us all something to talk about on this forum.

I really am in two minds about this reboot, it looks like 7 is really pushing to craft its own version of the Big Brother format which I can respect (hopefully!). I'm just so disappointed that the worst of the rumours have been confirmed, it'll feel really strange losing that element of 'Anything can happen on live TV' but I feel like it's kinda what BB needs to pull an audience back in after the last two attempts being riddled with scandal after scandal.

Well...it ain't gunna be live. I hope it's like The Circle in terms of delay. Idk maybe it'll work? But if they're planning on having a host (which that TV Tonight article suggests they're approaching Gretel), how would she be able to use her wit and banter through a pre-recorded show? Like it'd essentially have to be like The Circle live shows with a smaller audience and the evicted housemates coming out and chatting with her about the show to be viable. Otherwise there is no need for a host. Tbh I still think after this reboot that BB will have a future somewhere else. It's a compelling format that just isn't done right any more. Perhaps the reboot will be a revolution, and perhaps we should open up to the concepts it will explore. One things for sure; it will be like nothing we've seen before, and that uncertainty is thrilling.B9D84650-1AA2-4DD4-AC06-FF28A7CACBF7.jpeg

"Like any show there are super-fans and we certainly don’t want to alienate them."
“But it won’t be Live”

These two sentences are mutually incompatible.

Also of note:

“Nearly everything I’ve seen written about it is rubbish, particularly around where things will be based. It’s not decided yet."

So it seems Seven's Eveleigh studios are not locked in. Also, is he taking a dig at that blog site there?

No matter what happens next year the number of applications show the appetite for big brother in Australia is high. If they try a new format and it doesn't work for Australian audiences hopefully that does not mean that is it for bb, and they will try again.

Wasn't one of the major requests to bring back the live feeds, back when Nine revived the show?

So Seven, not wanting to 'alienate' the fans, have decided to bring it back with NO LIVE ANYTHING. lol wtf?

I'm not sure I would call myself a 'super fan'. I really liked the show during the Ten years when I was a teenager, but when it came back to Nine I thought it was so bad I didn't watch it. Looks like I won't be watching this time either.

There's some 'super fans' on this site who'll watch just about anything though. Seven could've announced it was coming back as a show about people losing weight, and they'd still watch it. "I'm just glad it's back!". I don't think there's enough of these types of 'super fans' to help it rate though.

Seriously, how can you even call this Big Brother? Will be so boring/unexciting if none of this is live and filmed months in advance.

Back